U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-12-2010, 09:26 AM

6,899 posts, read 10,202,388 times

Advertisements

Twice in recent forums I have noticed people writing in posts that there are gang problems in burbs. One person indicated that Irving has a gang problem and another indicated that Arlington, and another cited Plano a having gang problems. This is not my perception of these cities. But, Plano, Irving and Arlington are hugh; they are cities...not towns like Coppell or Bedford. It may be true that, as cities, there are areas that have all the issues associated with cities. Must say, I am not aware of serious gang problems in Arlington, Plano or Irving. Am I wrong? Are there gang problems in other burbs, too?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:40 AM

10,272 posts, read 11,103,715 times
I believe that there are a bunch of Asian gangs operating in the burbs. The Viet gangs are more prominent Garland and Arlington. There are Lao and Khmer gangs to the east of Dallas. With the huge Chinese community in Plano, I would be amazed if there werent some Chinese gang activity there.

However Asian gangs tend to target their own people as opposed outsiders.

There are Hispanic gangs everywhere in DFW. That went without saying.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 AM

95 posts, read 168,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
But it did not go without typing.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,978,751 times
As LAnative pointed out, the Asian gangs tend to target their own. I know the Garland PD several years ago formed a task force that made it a point to go around and get to know all of the Asian businesses and let it be known that here in the states it is okay to call the police if someone is blackmailing you or demanding money. In their home country this is acceptable and they tend to think they must still do it here. The Asian gangs tend to hit the local businesses owned by other Asians and demand money or they will hurt them and their family. They are not used to calling the police so they give in and every few weeks the "gang" will come by and demand money. We own a business in Garland but are not Asian and we have never had any troubles w/ any gangs or gang members at all.

As for Arlington......... YES, there IS a gang problem there. Read the news and you will find many instances of parties being held and then getting broken up due to a gang fight and someone getting shot. Arlington is a very large city w/ a lot of lower end apartments that attract the people and families that tend to fall into the hands of gangs. I'd almost say they have more of a gang problem than Dallas. Arlington PD does have a gang task force.

I'd say Irving is more inline w/ the types of gangs that Arlington has but not as bad.

I'd put Plano w/ the same types of gang issues as Garland. I mean, they only target their own and it is just to get money and as far as I know no one has gotten hurt from them. They might be behind some small local thefts and such but there are not all out gang fights and such in either city.

The druggies might be causing more troubles than some of these gangs as well. When they need their fix and need some money and all. Or the people too lazy to work that just keep coming up w/ new ways to steal like counterfeit checks and all. I'd be more worried about the bored teenagers that can get into trouble just by being dumb and the reckless drivers.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,812,740 times
I have never seen any gang activity. Stay away from the poor areas and you'll be fine.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:25 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,312,392 times
Its comes from lack of things to do for youth and most kids got all this time in the world to do whatever and I promise you most of these kids are single parent and need some guidiance, there not gangstas at all, just wanna-bees.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:30 PM

10,272 posts, read 11,103,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Its comes from lack of things to do for youth and most kids got all this time in the world to do whatever and I promise you most of these kids are single parent and need some guidiance, there not gangstas at all, just wanna-bees.
Im not sure its quite that simple. Gangs offer kids quick money at others peril illegally. If a child has no conscious and likes money, gangs will appeal to them.

Gangs are in a lot of the schools (even in the burbs). That's where they recruit.

Plus there is a glamour that appeals to a lot of kids about gangs. It was never for me, but I lost a friend to gang back in middle school in LA.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:40 PM

16,040 posts, read 14,557,788 times
If lots of Asians = Asian gangs then Richardson must have them too. But I have not seen any indication of gang activity around here, no tags, no nothing.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:34 AM

13 posts, read 38,623 times
I'm so glad for once that the subject of gangs in Dallas is being mentioned and Oak Cliff isn't being brought up!

Oops, guess I just did!

Old 08-13-2010, 04:45 AM

12,535 posts, read 13,925,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I believe that there are a bunch of Asian gangs operating in the burbs. The Viet gangs are more prominent Garland and Arlington. There are Lao and Khmer gangs to the east of Dallas. With the huge Chinese community in Plano, I would be amazed if there werent some Chinese gang activity there.

However Asian gangs tend to target their own people as opposed outsiders.

Asian gangs are so 90's-early 2000's man. The teeny boppers you see now days in Texas are just wannabe's really. The OG's here got out of the game all together or ended up in prison for selling pills or hopping cars (I know quite a few personally). Plano is too rich to have Chinese gangs. About the only place you'll find hard core Asian gangs in large numbers is on the East & West Coasts cities like Long Beach, Oakland, Sacramento, Seattle, Boston, Philly, Providence RI etc. The Midwest is also home to some notorious Laos & Hmong gangs in cities like St. Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas