Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 AM

48 posts, read 171,375 times

Advertisements

"Basically all suburban areas in southern sweden are gated, so it's not really as posh as in America, I don't think. Anyway, I don't care if Preston Hollows is a gated area or not, I just don't want to move there! gah. so unfair."

I understand the first (ever) gated community in Sweden was formed in the year 2008 -- Victoria Park Social Club in Malmö.

You are saying in the last two years "all" suburbs in southern Sweden have become gated? Wow. I seriously doubt this. I do seriously believe you're living stateside and having some juvenile fun with the Texas forum. Why not ask your parents to take you to Ikea this afternoon ... and pretend you're Swedish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 11,261 times
I beg your pardon? How dare you people insult my intellect? Perhaps - and most probably - there's a cultural difference between Americans and Europeans. Since my mom knows other Europeans in Dallas, there must be quite a lot of European citizens with semester homes there. I'm not fooling around, why would anyone joke about moving to a random town? Had I done so, I would probably lie about moving to, like, St Barts or Upper East - Manhattan.

I don't have a "Sweedish" accent, nor do I have a Swedish accent, for that matter. Besides, they haven't bought it yet - they've put it as an option.

I feel rather insulted. Do beg your pardons?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:58 AM

5 posts, read 11,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige2 View Post
"Basically all suburban areas in southern sweden are gated, so it's not really as posh as in America, I don't think. Anyway, I don't care if Preston Hollows is a gated area or not, I just don't want to move there! gah. so unfair."

I understand the first (ever) gated community in Sweden was formed in the year 2008 -- Victoria Park Social Club in Malmö.
I've never heard of Victoria Park, I don't live in Malmö. But I don't think we mean the same thing when we talk about gated comunities. It's not the L.A. style gated community I'm referring to.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:36 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times
Are you coming over via the Vasa?

Old 08-18-2010, 12:22 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,772,024 times
Yes, it is odd that they would want a summer home in Texas. Sure, for the heat is strange enough, but the summer is when you get a decent amount of sunlight in Scandinavia (similar in lattitude to Alaska) and that is when one would want to be there. Is it just me or does it seem counter intuitive to have a seasonal home somewhere when it is dark much of the time, such as a winter home in Sweden.

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-18-2010 at 01:35 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boii90 View Post
I've never heard of Victoria Park, I don't live in Malmö. But I don't think we mean the same thing when we talk about gated comunities. It's not the L.A. style gated community I'm referring to.
I remember when East Berlin was a gated community.

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-18-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 10:01 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I remember when East Berlin was a gated community.
And the HOA was something else. The HOA's here have nothing on what they had dictating how they live.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
And the HOA was something else. The HOA's here have nothing on what they had dictating how they live.
I know, they were always so concerned with my papers, "Your papers, please...your papers are not in order...blah, blah, blah.." That really got old quick.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:26 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,753,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boii90 View Post
I beg your pardon? How dare you people insult my intellect? Perhaps - and most probably - there's a cultural difference between Americans and Europeans. Since my mom knows other Europeans in Dallas, there must be quite a lot of European citizens with semester homes there. I'm not fooling around, why would anyone joke about moving to a random town? Had I done so, I would probably lie about moving to, like, St Barts or Upper East - Manhattan.

I don't have a "Sweedish" accent, nor do I have a Swedish accent, for that matter. Besides, they haven't bought it yet - they've put it as an option.

I feel rather insulted. Do beg your pardons?
You are rather childish and in need of a good old-fashioned spanking.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:10 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,384,099 times
George Bush is in Preston Hollow? Well, there's one criminal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas