U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 PM

12,425 posts, read 13,606,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulous_nobody View Post
We moved to Houston from Chicago in Oct 2008 (originally we are from Sydney Australia, so yes, we love our big cosmopolitan world class cities), after 18 month, we couldn't wait to move out of there. My biggest regret was believing that Houston is the 4th largest city in America, therefore, it has to be a cosmopolitan city; also I believed the most common opinion of Houston is more "diverse" than Dallas (I am Chinese Australian, my husband is English). So eager to move away from the cold climate in Chicago, we ignored our American friends' reaction once they heard our move to Houston.

Houston may be close to beaches (we've been to Galveston once, and was totally disappointed, it's no Newport beach or South beach, in fact, I wouldn't even call it a beach), may have lots of restaurants and bars (we lived in Midtown which supposed to be one of the most walkable or vibrant area equivalent to Uptown in Dallas, it is nowhere close!), may have lots of culture activities, i.e. Opera, museums, etc (we take that for granted, we've only lived in cities with more than 3 million populations, they all have that), what Houston doesn't have is Zoning! and it kills the city.

Of course, the cost of living is very cheap in Houston, but personally, it's not worth it for us. After visited Dallas 3 times (cause I don't want to make the same mistake again), we decided, Dallas will have more to offer us.
1. Houston is America's 4th largest city & 5th largest metro. Soon to overtake Chicago's beloved crown as 3rd largest city after NYC & LA, respectively. If you can't find anything do do in Houston you must be a very boring person to be around.

2. Being Chinese you should've fit right into Houston as it has the South's largest Chinese & overall Asian population.

3. Houston's arts scene blows Dallas' away.

4. Uptown Dallas ain't all that walkable. No more so than Montrose, Lower Westheimer, or Rice Village.

5. If you have ever been to Asia you'd know those cities are zoned about as well as Houston is. Skyscrapers randomly placed all over. Los Angeles isn't zoned too well either. Everything there is so sprawling & cram packed you see prime examples of poor planning & zoning all over.

6. There are more beaches in the Houston area than just Galveston. Surfside is a little known secret amongst veteran Gulf Coast residents. Nothing beats freshly caught oysters from my friends seafood restaurant & market in Seabrook overlooking Galveston Bay either.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:24 PM

33 posts, read 7,797 times
I'm sure Dallasites prefer the oysters that they catch and eat out of the trinity ditch hole much better.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:25 PM

10,235 posts, read 10,843,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
1. Houston is America's 4th largest city & 5th largest metro. Soon to overtake Chicago's beloved crown as 3rd largest city after NYC & LA, respectively. If you can't find anything do do in Houston you must be a very boring person to be around.

2. Being Chinese you should've fit right into Houston as it has the South's largest Chinese & overall Asian population.

3. Houston's arts scene blows Dallas' away.

4. Uptown Dallas ain't all that walkable. No more so than Montrose, Lower Westheimer, or Rice Village.

5. If you have ever been to Asia you'd know those cities are zoned about as well as Houston is. Skyscrapers randomly placed all over. Los Angeles isn't zoned too well either. Everything there is so sprawling & cram packed you see prime examples of poor planning & zoning all over.

6. There are more beaches in the Houston area than just Galveston. Surfside is a little known secret amongst veteran Gulf Coast residents. Nothing beats freshly caught oysters from my friends seafood restaurant & market in Seabrook overlooking Galveston Bay.
You kill me. A person says he likes Dallas more than Houston and your trying to tell them why they are wrong?

Have you ever heard of preferences?

Even though Houston may be more integrated overall, its Asian community is a bunch more segregated than Dallas'. My wife remarks on that every times she is down there and I notice it too.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
You kill me. A person says he likes Dallas more than Houston and your trying to tell them why they are wrong?

Even though Houston may be more integrated overall, its Asian community is a bunch more segregated than Dallas'. My wife remarks on that every times she is down there and I notice it too.
More segregated? Houston's Asian community is very integrated. Just drive down Bellaire or Beechnut & see all of the Vietnamese, Chinese, Indonesian, Indian, Korean, Japanese, Thai, & Filipino restaurants. I used to live in Houston's Chinatown so I've seen it all. You can even buy Filipino fast food in H-E-B kinda like a mini Jollibee.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:32 PM

3,424 posts, read 3,431,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
But most of that is not indegenous virgin forest but exists because it was planted by the hand of man.
This is incorrect. The trees North of Westheimer in Houston are not only endemic but they are accompanied by lush undergrowth.

Houston's Regional Forest - Tree Population Characteristics
Quote:
Species native to the Houston region make up the majority of trees (76 percent).

Last edited by solytaire; 08-19-2010 at 02:51 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 02:34 PM

101 posts, read 130,556 times
[quote=Mister Nifty;15541325]You mean to say you didn't find it quaint listening to roosters crowing in the morning a quarter mile from downtown Houston?

Believe it or not, I actually saw them! I couldn't believe my eyes. My girlfriend from San Francisco took some photos too!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:35 PM

10,235 posts, read 10,843,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
More segregated? Houston's Asian community is very integrated. Just drive down Bellaire or Beechnut & see all of the Vietnamese, Chinese, Indonesian, Indian, Korean, Japanese, Thai, & Filipino restaurants. I used to live in Houston's Chinatown so I've seen it all. You can even buy Filipino fast food in H-E-B kinda like a mini Jollibee.
I meant among other races and yes Houston's Asian community is more segregated than DFW's. DFW does not have these huge mega Asian neighborhoods like Houston does. They Asians up here are a lot more spread out. In Houston, they clump more.

Pick your poison. Either its better to have huge Asian enclaves or its better to have them spread out more.

No matter what, you will always argue that Houston is better at whatever the topic at hand is wont you?

Old 08-19-2010, 02:35 PM

33 posts, read 7,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

Anyone who prefers Dallas to Houston IS wrong and should be told. Dallas is a dusty, cement encrusted, wannabee city that can't make it with the big boys. 9mod] rude [/mod] Why else to they keep creating new threads at city-data comparing themselves to Houston. Dallas likes to think it can compete. Houston likes to laugh at Dallas. The thing that gives native Dallasites any pride at all is football and beer drinkin'. Don't be fooled, 99% of Dallasites are not even aware that there is a fashion industry in Dallas because the overwhelming majority of Dallasites are blue collar rednecks and illegal aliens.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-19-2010 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
But most of that is not indegenous virgin forest but exists because it was planted by the hand of man. I have been by the University of Houston Branch in Clear Lake and I do think it had pine trees in that area. But down the road was something call Armand Bayou, I believe. Isn't it swampy with more indegenous kinds of trees? You know, I would think the pine trees growing that far south close to the ocean are unstable anomalies that will be easily destroyed in a flood of salt water one day. But they could grow back, indeed, as pine trees grow rather quickly. Perhaps it is the clay in the area that supports them? East Texas has a lot of deep red clay that trees seem to love because it is a sign that it is high in iron. Deep brown clay is apparent close to the three cities of Ore city, Pittsburg, and Lone Star, Texas with the latter city having a steel mill located in its vicinity. There are lots of trees located in this area as well. If you ever get a chance, then try to check out the color of the clay in and around Bay City.
Not true at all. Houston used to have a large logging industry before oil took over. The Houston you see today resembles very little the Houston 100 years ago.

If you think pine trees can't survive near a coast then you've obviously never been to Florida. I saw them growing out of pure sugary white sand dunes down in Panama City last month.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:38 PM

15,992 posts, read 25,879,425 times
EO oh my, since Houston eats our dust where does that put you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas