U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:11 PM
 
33 posts, read 8,466 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
I once bought a knife from Wal-Mart made in China. In trying to cut open the package, my scissors broke. Tragically, this led to my being committed to a mental hospital. />
I don't think you even had to mention this. One could easily make this assumption based on your postings at city-data that you were typing out your thoughts from some sort of institution.

 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:11 PM
 
Location: 75025 (previously 75254, 90505, 90010, and 60614)
10,263 posts, read 11,042,446 times
Reputation: 6722
^^^Youre not representing Houston very well. The OP might think all people from Houston are rambling homers overwhelmed by bias .
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:13 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 3,471,019 times
Reputation: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert Opinion View Post
Dallas is the joke of the fashion industry. Only a fool would consider Dallas a major fashion hub. Dallas is way behind the times and anyone who says otherwise should try selling that idea to someone from New York or Paris. They will laugh right in your face. Dallasites are the only ones who believe the hype. Dallas has a fast growing reputation for being tacky. Why would anyone outside a joke shop care about what anyone working in Dallas' 'fashion' industry has to say. It would be like asking a truck driver to design an evening gown. Dallasites are delusional.
Ill be honest, Ive never understood the whole fashion mecca title that Dallas claims either. I mean, if thats what Dallas is then thats cool..I have no factual grounds to argue it either way aside from what Ive seen with my own two eyes. But I sure cant recall anyone considering it such, when I was growing up..and Ive never heard anyone outside of North Texas, much less outside of Texas even mention Dallas when talking about fashion..(aside from a few jokes about the overall poor fashion sense of Texans)...On this website is the first Ive ever heard anyone remark about Dallas being fashion pioneers..
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:16 PM
 
913 posts, read 1,070,405 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I noticed that dallas does a lot more building, expansion, and promotion than Houston does. I think thats because Dallas doesnt really have many organically interesting/attractive features to it. Yet it has a ton of superficial attractions and is adding more by the day. More than Houston for sure. It seems like DFW will always have to compensate for its lackluster natural appeal by continuing to build and reinvest and then promoting those projects simply because on its own, Dallas doesnt appear very outwardly attractive.

I think Houston is lazier in its efforts because it is in very close proximity to either forests, beaches, hills or a combination thereof and it kind of takes that recreational potential for granted. And its space program and seaport/oil industries have probably attracted a more diverse array of people for a longer period of time, so few concerted efforts have been made to aggressively attract people to the city.

I dont know, but I did notice that DFW is constantly building and promoting new projects.
What? I mean, what? The thing going for Houston is its lack of an environment. Houston is a little flat, moderately flat and highly flat. When Houston isn't humid, you are being eaten alive by mosquitoes. The great thing the crazy-ant infestation invading the area is they either eat everything in sight or they pester everything to the point of running off. Why do they post for swimmers not to use the beaches in the area from time to time. Well, it is because there exists a little amount of feces in the water, a moderate amount of it from time to time, and too much of it on occasion. And what can happen as a result of an infection? It is called a "skin eating bacterial infection." What is the consequences of such an infection? Well, often times the only way to save the patient is to lop off infected body parts.
What is one of the reasons why Houston has the Texas Medical Center? Well, at one time, because of the over 100 chemical plants in the vicinity, the Houston area had the highest rate of cancer in the nation.
Organically interesting? Though impressive, the port of Houston looks like the pit of hell for about a half mile to each side of it. Telephone Road used to be well known world wide as a place where someone could fly into hobby airport and buy themselves a *****.
If Telephone Road didn't do the trick, then there was Jenson.
I will admit that there are some pretty man made parts of Houston, but wait! That goes against your argument! The indegenous plant growth in and around the Houston area is quite fugly. We are talking indegenous here.
Look, the San Jacinto monument sits in the middle of a huge chemical plant and is dissolving as a result. The city of Houston is still subsiding. The streets are breaking apart. Stray dogs are running rampant all over the place. Everytime someone calls for a search for a missing person, many times a body of a stranger is found instead. Uninsured illegals are running around freely while the legal homeless are being harrassed. Less trash pickup and when they do pick it up they sloppily empty a lot of it onto the street.
What is the best way to get rid of a dead body in Houston? Just throw it in a dumpster. Because many people in Houston throw away their used toilet paper rather than flushing it down the toilet, the landfills have become disease ridden to the extent one can't possible search for a dead body in it. In fact, one man actually barbequed his girlfriend on his porch before wrapping her cut up remains in plastic bags and throwing them into a dumpster.
Houston! The trash capital of the world. Actually, it is home base to numerous trash companies.
Excuse me? You can't be serious?

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 08-19-2010 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: tweak
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:21 PM
 
33 posts, read 8,466 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
^^^Youre not representing Houston very well. The OP might think all people from Houston are rambling homers overwhelmed by bias .
I'd hate to think of what the OP would think of Dallas based on your and Nifty's constant over-promoting rambling about Dallas.
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:27 PM
 
Location: 75025 (previously 75254, 90505, 90010, and 60614)
10,263 posts, read 11,042,446 times
Reputation: 6722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert Opinion View Post
I'd hate to think of what the OP would think of Dallas based on your and Nifty's constant over-promoting rambling about Dallas.
Haha, I havent said anything on this thread that is over the top.

You seem to receive some joy in putting Dallas down. Oh well, I love Dallas. There are people (like our friend in this thread who is from Australia) that do prefer Dallas. I dont think that on the whole that one is loved more than the other by the general public. Opinions are just that. They cant be wrong. If someone says "I like Waco more than Houston", they cant be wrong. That is their choice.

Perhaps you should become familiar with the difference between opinions and facts.
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:28 PM
 
33 posts, read 8,466 times
Reputation: 21
Living in Dallas is a lot like what it must be like to live in a open sewer. In fact, the city is centered around an open sewer. It is called the Trinity River. On it's banks you will find the ugliest collection of rusted out warehouses, factories and garbage dumpsters of any place in America. To live in Dallas you must love giant cockroaches because they are everywhere. You don't go anywhere in Dallas, restaurants, shopping, dog-fights, ect without having to deal with roaches. Dallas is also the smelliest city in America. The people there are used to it. It comes out of the the Trinity River.
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:30 PM
 
913 posts, read 1,070,405 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Ill be honest, Ive never understood the whole fashion mecca title that Dallas claims either. I mean, if thats what Dallas is then thats cool..I have no factual grounds to argue it either way aside from what Ive seen with my own two eyes. But I sure cant recall anyone considering it such, when I was growing up..and Ive never heard anyone outside of North Texas, much less outside of Texas even mention Dallas when talking about fashion..(aside from a few jokes about the overall poor fashion sense of Texans)...On this website is the first Ive ever heard anyone remark about Dallas being fashion pioneers..
Look, it is general knowledge that Houston is the energy capital of the world. I will accept this without references backing it up. For you to claim that Dallas isn't what it is after I showed references backing it up just shows that, well, I can't really say without getting banned from this forum.
To help you seei what you've never understood about Dallas being a major fashion center, let me repost what you must have missed prior in the thread:

But Dallas is home to the world's largest market center gathered in one place (meaning a few other cities have bigger market centers scattered about). So, what does this mean?
It means it is not a joke.
Like, how can you argue with this clear evidence?
Once again, a fashion center is a place that is conscious about fashion.
Once again, here is the clear evidence:
Dallas Market Center
Dallas Apparel & Accessories Market

Dallas Apparel & Accessories Market is held every January, March, June, August and October inside FashionCenterDallas®. In addition to the permanent showrooms, you’ll also find a complementary blend of temporary exhibitors at this show. Dallas Market Center offers the most apparel and fashion accessories resources from leading designers and manufacturers across all categories including women’s fashion, menswear and children’s products.


Here is the shopping center that serves twenty-two surrounding states:
Highland Park Village | The Premier Shopping Experience of Dallas, Texas
And here are the three well known commercial shopping districts located north of it:
The Plaza at Preston Center
NorthPark Center - The Premier Shopping and Dining Center in Dallas
Galleria Dallas

Now, this should be clear to anyone who knows how to read.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 08-19-2010 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: tweak
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:31 PM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 23,887,208 times
Reputation: 5787
Sounds like someone really does not "KNOW" Houston..........

Oh well...

school goes back on Monday.....
school goes back on Monday
school goes back on Monday
..........
........
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:31 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 3,471,019 times
Reputation: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
What? I mean, what? The thing going for Houston is its lack of an environment. Houston is a little flat, moderately flat and highly flat. When Houston isn't humid, you are being eaten alive by mosquitoes. The great thing the crazy-ant infestation invading the area is they either eat everything in sight or they pester everything to the point of running off. Why do they post for swimmers not to use the beaches in the area from time to time. Well, it is because there exists a little amount of feces in the water, a moderate amount of it from time to time, and too much of it on occasion. And what can happen as a result of an infection? It is called a "skin eating bacterial infection." What is the consequences of such an infection? Well, often times the only way to save the patient is to lop off infected body parts.
What is one of the reasons why Houston has the Texas Medical Center? Well, at one time, because of the over 100 chemical plants in the vicinity, the Houston area had the highest rate of cancer in the nation.
Organically interesting? Though impressive, the port of Houston looks like the pit of hell for about a half mile to each side of it. Telephone Road used to be well known world wide as a place where someone could fly into hobby airport and buy themselves a *****.
If Telephone Road didn't do the trick, then there was Jenson.
I will admit that there are some pretty man made parts of Houston, but wait! That goes against your argument! The indegenous plant growth in and around the Houston area is quite fugly. We are talking indegenous here.
Look, the San Jacinto monument sits in the middle of a huge chemical plant and is dissolving as a result. The city of Houston is still subsiding. The streets are breaking apart. Stray dogs are running rampant all over the place. Everytime someone calls for a search for a missing person, many times a body of a stranger is found instead. Uninsured illegals are running around freely while the legal homeless are being harrassed. Less trash pickup and when they do pick it up they sloppily empty a lot of it onto the street.
What is the best way to get rid of a dead body in Houston? Just throw it in a dumpster. Because many people in Houston throw away their used toilet paper rather than flushing it down the toilet, the landfills have become disease ridden to the extent one can't possible search for a dead body in it. In fact, one man actually barbequed his girlfriend on his porch before wrapping her cut up remains in plastic bags and throwing them into a dumpster.
Houston! The trash capital of the world. Actually, it is home base to numerous trash companies.
Excuse me? You can't be serious?

Im dead serious

And besides, what does this prove?..anybody can ramble off a list of bad things about a city....Like I said, the things that make Houston organically attractive to outsiders are its long standing space, and sea port industries; and its very close proximity to beaches, hills, and forests.

Spouting a bunch of bunk bromidic stories about weather and bizarre happenings around the city and so forth, isnt exactly making Houston look unappealing. People could say that DFW experiences tornadoes, or that they just arrested a few men for child porn etc... I dont really know how that would be relevant to anything.

And illegals are everywhere in Texas..Heck they are all over East Texas.

Ill give you the streets thing tho...that was my first complaint when I got to Houston. I just could not get over how raggedy the streets are. Houston has potholes that your whole vehicle can fall into...apparently all the rain erodes the solubles in the concrete admixture down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top