U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,584,399 times

Advertisements

Hello Fellow Texans (hope to be one soon)
I am in Tampa Fla, and to say the least it SUCKS!!!!

I fell in love with Dallas and Collin County when I come to visit. Customer service is impeccable, everyone appears so accomodating and friendly. As if I am not even a stranger. Premeir shopping and everything appears shiny and glitzy to me in Dallas. That is my cup of tea...I am not pretentious at all, but I immediately felt at home in Dallas. I feel that Dallas is very cosmpolotian with that southern charm. For instance You don't find that in NY, MASS, pretty much anywhere in the NE. I don't like the major cities in the Northeast, I normally do not like metro cities but Dallas I really really liked.

I have not been to Houston yet, but they have alot of top notch medical centers and I have been applying because I want to LEAVE FLORIDA!!!!!! Is Dallas and Houston comprable to in regards to having that cosmopolitan feel with a southern charm?? Is Houston like a a large Ft. Worth?? I was not impressed with Ft. Worth. It was too "western" for me.

Are the people in Houston warm,friendly like in Dallas?? I have heard some say those in Dallas are pretentious, but I didn't find that. Yes I saw alot of high end cars in Dallas and North Dallas--Is it like that in Houston?

Where are the nice areas in Houston that are comparable to Plano, Allen and the whole Collin County area?

How's the weather in Houston??? Tampa is hot and Humid, although we have cool winters, anything in the 60's is cool to us Floridians. Does Houston have cool or cold winters???

Oh I have heard of an area near Houston--I believe it was the Orange or Yellow triangle area which included an area named Beaumont and some other small town--is that really close to Houston because that doesn't sounded like a desirable area. I am not into small town 1940's mentality ....

Thank you so much in advance...

Old 08-18-2010, 09:23 PM

346 posts, read 405,632 times
Oh noo here in houston it is nothing like fort worth, or to put it this way fort worth is the most texan, not that thats a bad thing. The western cowboy culture is very appealing to many people, then comes dallas as far as its cowboy feel in the bars, clubs ect or at least from my personal experiences and houston feels the least texas to be honest. It really feels more gulf coast than anything. And no you don't want to live in beaumont. If you want to move to texas especially from where youre coming from. I would definately suggest houston for having the more cosmopolitan feel out of Hou, Dallas, or fort worth. Now if you wanted a more suburban lifestyle arlington is in my opinion the best suburban area I have ever been to. So it depends. How old are you? What are you looking for?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 PM

And to be honest, I think as you said you will enjoy living in and working in the medical center. Medicine is going to be perhaps the most promising career in this country in the future. So if thats what youre looking for you will really enjoy a trip to the texas medical center, and seeing the areas that fannin street goes through. A few streets to map out and explore would be, Fannin (herman park), main, westheimer (montrose) which becomes elgin, richmond and memorial drive. But for a city experience stay in the inner loop. And the closest suburbs are on the southside along 288 towards pearland. I wouldnt recomend driving all over the city on a first trip tho seein as houston is wayyyy to big and there really wouldn't be a point, that much driving will only show you tons of traffic and an urban sprawl.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:34 PM

773 posts, read 958,930 times
Comparing the two depends on what you are looking for. I grew up in Houston, but live in Dallas now.

I think the weather in Houston is comparable to Tampa. It is hot and humid most of the year. Winters are very mild with a cold one every decade or so. Some years we want to wear shorts at Thanksgiving. Big sweaters and coats are typically not needed. Dallas is dryer and has more swing in temperatures. We have had snow almost every year that we have lived here.

As far as areas that are good places to live, it really depends on where you work and how much commute you can live with. Like most metropolitan areas, the suburbs are "more desirable" to a lot of people. For Houston, the Woodlands is a premeire place to live, but is quite a commute from the city. Same thing for Katy, Sugarland and Kingwood. Great places to live, but with a commute if you are looking in the medical center. That said, there are good hospitals in Dallas but I think the medical community in Houston is bigger, more consolidated and has a great reputation world-wide. (MD Anderson Cancer Center for one). It is very close to downtown Houston and unless you live right there, you will have a commute. There are several nice "inside-the-loop" areas to live -- just depends on your lifestyle and budget.

Good luck in your decision. As a born-and-raised Houstonian, I was prepared to hate Dallas when we moved here 7 years ago. I am happy to say that I love it here and consider it home now.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:34 PM

I am 31 and I do like suburban lifestyle but I also want to have access to major city events. I did visit Arlington but it wasn't really for me. I was very impressed with Plano, Allen and McKinney. Those are the Northern subuarbs in Dallas. But I don't know much about Houston. All I know about Houston is Joel Osteen, Houston Rockets, Beyonce Knowles and MD Anderson Cancer Center. so I don't know much about the city. What is Gulf Coast feel?? I have not heard that term before. I know I do not like the western lifestyle that I saw alot of in Ft Worth. For instance in Dallas I saw alot of German cars on the road, esp Northern Dallas. In Ft Worth I saw alot of American cars. How is Houston in that regard, a mix?? Tampa you see a mix,but I really find Tampa very dull.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 PM

Do you think the humidity is worse than Tampa?? and I don't think Dallas has any top notch medical centers--do they??

Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
What is Gulf Coast feel?? I have not heard that term before. For instance in Dallas I saw alot of German cars on the road, esp Northern Dallas. Tampa you see a mix,but I really find Tampa very dull.
If you visit houston, one area you should be sure to say to visit will be clear lake kemah and the boardwalk, then you wont have to ask what is the gulf coast feel. Galveston will be a bit far for a first trip but the bay area is only 30 min. Just take 45 south to nasa bypas and it will lead you there. And our inner city still feels green and suburban in comparison to somewhere like San Francisco, and again It wont feel dull or boring and unlike all of the other people you will see fighting that massive inflow in the morning's outflow in the evenings traffic jam. You will not have to do that, once off the freeways in the loop traffic doesn't jam up, and just flows better than trying to fight 40 miles of freeways as you would from somewhere like the woodlands, especially if you were looking for a job in the medical center. And yes people cruise all kinds of exotic cars here especially on westheimer in uptown on weekends. Or cruising down to the waterfron areas that I mentioned.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Do you think the humidity is worse than Tampa?? and I don't think Dallas has any top notch medical centers--do they??
Lol no the humidity wouldn't be any worse than tampa but not any better either. Although I would bet that either Hou, or DFW would get at least a little colder in the winter time, especialy DFW. And I must warn you the beaches in Hou wouldn't be as good as florida but the bay area and boardwalk is still fun

Old 08-18-2010, 10:04 PM

I could always fly back if I really missed the beach. Or I could always go to California to see nice beaches. I like the mountain and beaches they have out there. I do love nature and I do like the beaches here but I really want a change of scenery and want to take a chance. Now I have heard that in Houston your highways are LARGE and intense. I was intimidated in Dallas because they drive fast. Even though I am in my early 30's I do drive like a Floridian---i use my blinkers and usually drive the speed limit. I noticed that was passed often and not well received on the highway in Dallas due to that fact. So are your highways worse than Dallas?? Is the traffic worse than Dallas--OMG if it is...

Old 08-18-2010, 10:10 PM

Actually to be honest I was also just in dallas a couple weeks ago and I was amazed at how their traffic heads in all directions and heavily. In houston the traffic flows in in the mornings and out in the evenings. There isn't this massive flowing of traffic in all directions between many seperate centers of jobs and commerce. Here almost everything that matters is in the inner loop, and as i said if when you visit you find a hotel in the medical center, or around reliant park, to be honest you wont fight any traffic really seeing the stuff in the city that matters. And i mentioned pearland for the reason that its traffic is the least intense and its the closes to the city. So if you want a suburb around 288 and 518 would be a great bet. And no our freeways are not as bad as Dallas's, they have more people in their metro and travel longer distances. Although if youre crazy enough to live in the woodlands or katy then yes you will fight terrible traffic. So dont do it if you dont like traffic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas