Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 AM

871 posts, read 2,679,698 times

Advertisements

Seeing a concert at the Prophet Bar in Deep Ellum next weekend. Just wondering what it is like for a concert. Never been to Deep Ellum, let alone a small venue for a concert, period, so I don't really know what to expect in terms of the venue and surrounding area.

1.) What's the venue like?

2.) Parking?

3.) Is it DART rail accessible (Prophet Bar specifically...looks like it might be a long walk, which leads to next question)

4.) I asked one person at work and they said that Deep Ellum used to be like what Uptown is now, but it's not anywhere and that it's not exactly safe, especially at night (i.e., after our concert is over).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 09:10 AM

229 posts, read 605,155 times
I've heard that DE used to be the happening place. It did go through a hard time, but I feel like it's coming back...so many restaurants and new concert venues have opened up just in the past 2 years. I'd say the worst is over. I've never felt unsafe there at night. You may if you're a typical suburbanite (no offense)

Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM

I am a typical suburbanite. Always lived in suburbs my entire life, and prefer them. But when I hear people suggest that Deep Ellum is not as safe as Uptown, that raises an eyebrow.

But if anyone knows about the Prophet Bar (formerly Gypsy Tea Room if that helps long timers here) for a concert, I'd appreciate it.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:16 AM

229 posts, read 605,155 times
Can't tell you about Prophet Bar, but Gypsy Tea Room used to be awesome back when I went (early 2000's). I went to see the Fray and the venue is small enough I was able to get right in front of the stage. You'll probably see a fight or two break out, but nothing too crazy. DE is a bit grungy.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,450,141 times
It's just a small club in an urban area like you would see in any large city. You can park at the meters along the street - bring quarters - you can park along Main (2 way street) or Elm (one way street). There are some surface lots where a guy will flag you in to pay to park.
Or you can park under the expressway in the public lot (access off Main heading toward downtown) - you pay at the centrally located payment board; don't pay an attendant here...there are signs posted all over telling you not to.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codytravers View Post
Can't tell you about Prophet Bar, but Gypsy Tea Room used to be awesome back when I went (early 2000's). I went to see the Fray and the venue is small enough I was able to get right in front of the stage. You'll probably see a fight or two break out, but nothing too crazy. DE is a bit grungy.
Right in front of the stage??? Awesome! My wife will especially flip out that we can get be that close our favorite band that we both like, Bowling for Soup. We've seen them tons of times, but never in DFW area which should be a trip. Last month I saw them at Winstar but Winstar is a horrible venue and the turnout was oddly poor (considering everyone who goes to Winstar comes up from DFW area), but then again, those Winstar billboards here in the DFW strangely enough did not promote the BFS concert at Winstar.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:37 AM

80 posts, read 702,565 times
You could take DART to Deep Ellum Station and walk there in no time. It's only a few blocks away. I live in Deep Ellum and I feel that it is a safe place (not just to visit, but to live there too).

Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconahey View Post
You could take DART to Deep Ellum Station and walk there in no time. It's only a few blocks away. I live in Deep Ellum and I feel that it is a safe place (not just to visit, but to live there too).
Cool, I may do that, IF it's not too hot. (Weather.com says it's supposed to be cooler so that might work).

Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,151,573 times
Great small venue- much smaller than the Granada or other "small" venues in Dallas. Haven't been since it recently reopened, but Gypsy Tea Room was great!

Yes, Deep Ellum & Lower Greenville were the "it" spots for nightlife 10-15 years ago....back when Uptown was full of crackhouses, the West Village didn't exist, and Knox Street was sleepy and Henderson was SEEDY!! Crime wave in early 2000's brought bad publicity, but you're perfectly safe there as long as you practice street smarts (ie, avoid direct contact with any "questionable" looking people, don't flash cash in public, don't become so intoxicated that you become an easy victim). I go down there a lot because of the awesome laid back restaurants (eat dinner at Local, Twisted Root, or All Good Cafe before the show), great vintage shopping, art galleries, and bars (Adair's!!)

I saw Ben Harper play at Trees in 1997 before he became big...there were maybe 200 people there? Those were the days... Nirvanan & Pearl Jam also first played Dallas at Trees, which reopened last summer.

You can definitely walk from the DART station. I don't know that I would want to take DART home after the show. If it's late at night you could be waiting a while and the more you stand around in a major city after midnight, the bigger chance of something bad happening. Would have no qualms taking the DART to Deep Ellum during the day though. Just bring $5-10 and park in a lot. You'll be fine.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:12 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,037,158 times
Crime down, business up as Dallas' Deep Ellum area takes on steep challenges in rebirth | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News

On the Town: Deep Ellum | Dallas-Fort Worth Entertainment News and Events | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas