Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:34 PM

11 posts, read 30,342 times

Advertisements

i have been thinking about moving to dallas, i am living in memphis right now working in law enforcement. lately i've been interested in moving to dallas and working with them. the only thing is i dont know anyone in dallas and i would like more insight on the city and dpd if anyone has info it would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamara31 View Post
i have been thinking about moving to dallas, i am living in memphis right now working in law enforcement. lately i've been interested in moving to dallas and working with them. the only thing is i dont know anyone in dallas and i would like more insight on the city and dpd if anyone has info it would be greatly appreciated
Visit dallascad.org, I am a native of Dallas; currently my wife and I reside in southern dallas county in the suburb of Lancaster where we bought a home in August of 2006. I have spanned the globe, wouldn't live anywhere else. Too, contact the DPD directly; I have military ties to Memphis, you'll love Big D hands down.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I would start by visiting the websites of various police dept. Do you want to live in the city itself or a burb, there are so many neat cities around DAllas, but the price of homes and rent may be higher than in Memphis. We almost moved from Dallas to Memphis about 10 years ago and found the cost of living in Memphis lower. How old are the kids, how do they feel about a re-location?

My suggestion, if you can, take a week or two this summer and visit No. Texas, see if you get a good feeling or if there may be somewhere else that would appeal to you more?

There are lots of great things about Dallas and Texas overall, but certainly not everything is peaches and creme.

No one can say, you will love it or hate it, we would have to know your reasons for wanting to move to judge how you will like living there.

Nita

Old 05-30-2009, 11:33 AM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
The only thing I know is most the burbs police force pay more than the city of Dallas. They are also safer in most cases. This may or may not appeal to you since some folks want to be right on the front lines. I do think it would be easier to get a job with the DPD than it would be to find something in the burbs. I would wait to see what substation your assigned to before buying a house. The Dallas area is huge and the last thing you want to do is to spend a hours a day commuting to work.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 PM

77 posts, read 227,732 times
U mentioned your kids so this is why I include, you do know they will be in DISD maybe. Welcome but you might not want to move to Dallas. Maybe a suburb.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
To work for DPD, you are supposed to live within 30 minutes' drive of the substation where you are stationed. So, you'd need to know which substation before you could start picking places to live. For example, Crandall is cute, but if you got the Northwest substation, you'd be looking at a HORRIBLE commute. (For Southeast, it wouldn't be too bad.)

Do a search on Dallas News, Sports, Weather and Traffic from The Dallas Morning News about DPD. They have had their fair share of scandals, and the current Chief is not hesitant to fire officers who bring the department bad press. Some areas of Dallas do have bad crime, so it is not an easy department to work for. And yes, as others have said, DPD pays lower than the suburbs. You'd also need a TCLOSE certification, so I don;t know if that would require you to re-do parts of the Academy to obtain it, or if they give reciprocity from other states.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:55 AM

11 posts, read 25,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsez View Post
U mentioned your kids so this is why I include, you do know they will be in DISD maybe. Welcome but you might not want to move to Dallas. Maybe a suburb.
This is true, Dallas schools are not where I would want my children to go. I live in Dallas but my house is in a location where they go to Richardson ISD schools. So you can live in Dallas and possibly not be in Dallas ISD

Old 05-16-2010, 11:02 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I do think it would be easier to get a job with the DPD than it would be to find something in the burbs.
If you're not already a Texas certified peace officer, you will have to find a city with an academy, such as Dallas or Fort Worth. Almost all of the 'burbs do not have their own academy, and instead hire officers who are already certified.

Another thing to keep in mind with DPD is that as a rookie, you will most certainly be working an off shift (NOT M-F day shifts), so if you're a single parent, child care during those working hours may be hard to find.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:02 AM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
There are some good schools in Dallas. You simply have to be alot more selective when finding a place to live to see what school your kids will be attending. You have to do alot more homework if your going to live in the Dallas city limits. Not all of DISD schools are bad. This is another myth regarding life inside 635.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 AM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
There are some good schools in Dallas. You simply have to be alot more selective when finding a place to live to see what school your kids will be attending. You have to do alot more homework if your going to live in the Dallas city limits. Not all of DISD schools are bad. This is another myth regarding life inside 635.
truth.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas