Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 PM

509 posts, read 1,257,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Thanks Moorhen..Are you from another region of the country originally? Do you live in a suburb of Dallas now? We have twins too! A 3 year old and two soon to be 1 year old twinnies! Its nuts!
We're from San Antonio. This is our first home and we have lived here almost 10 years. I wasn't as knowledgeable about house buying back then but in either case, my husband had just started working right out of college so we didn't have that much money.
Since you have twins you know how crazy and challenging it is to take care of them. I am really glad that we have our bedroom right next to theirs.
I understand that it is not for everyone, but once we sell, I'm sure there will be someone out there who is just like me who rather be close to their children when they are little.
I don't think I would have done differently knowing what I know now. Having the peace of mind that they are near me is priceless to me.
And we live in Sachse which is surrounded by Garland, Wylie, Richardson, Murphy and Plano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:07 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,797,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
We're from San Antonio. This is our first home and we have lived here almost 10 years. I wasn't as knowledgeable about house buying back then but in either case, my husband had just started working right out of college so we didn't have that much money.
Since you have twins you know how crazy and challenging it is to take care of them. I am really glad that we have our bedroom right next to theirs.
I understand that it is not for everyone, but once we sell, I'm sure there will be someone out there who is just like me who rather be close to their children when they are little.
I don't think I would have done differently knowing what I know now
. Having the peace of mind that they are near me is priceless to me.
And we live in Sachse which is surrounded by Garland, Wylie, Richardson, Murphy and Plano.
Thanks! Yes we know how crazy it is for sure. I considered that side of the metroplex, both Sachse and Murphy. Get alot for your $ over there. I agree with what you said though, someone will have the same desires and buy your place. I can't stress over the resale aspects too much anyway, otherwise you will drive yourself to drink! All we can do is mitigate, there is no such thing as a perfect house.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:27 PM

40,920 posts, read 48,870,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
The best floorplan that sells real fast is the one with the master plus another bedroom on the first floor. The second bedroom can be used as a nursery when the kids are young then they move upstairs as they get older. Then it becomes the guest room for the elderly family that can't do stairs.
Yep, the absolute best floor plan is 2 bedrooms down and 3 (or 4) up. Master down plus another bedroom with an attached full bath. Problem with this is this is normally found on houses with pretty large square footage and higher price ranges.

OP, did I read where you said that Bridlewood home has been on the market an extremely long time ? That master up could be a big reason why. As I mentioned, you can get by with it in many starter homes but the normal buyer in BW will not like it in the larger more expensive home.

I threw in the info about builders building few masters up just to show the demand that people want today. It's not impossible to resale but the demand is quite a bit lower.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:54 PM

207 posts, read 504,170 times
Although it would be nice to be near them at night if the master is up, you can't hear anything going on downstairs. We just moved from a large 2 story with a master down, and we have a 2 and a 4 yr old. It was a pain in the middle of the night if they woke up and then if something were to happen, like a fire, we wouldn't have been able to get to them. We just moved into a one story and it would be perfect if it had a bonus room upstairs. A 2 story would be nice again though when our children are older and of course the master would be down.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yep, the absolute best floor plan is 2 bedrooms down and 3 (or 4) up. Master down plus another bedroom with an attached full bath. Problem with this is this is normally found on houses with pretty large square footage and higher price ranges.

OP, did I read where you said that Bridlewood home has been on the market an extremely long time ? That master up could be a big reason why. As I mentioned, you can get by with it in many starter homes but the normal buyer in BW will not like it in the larger more expensive home.

I threw in the info about builders building few masters up just to show the demand that people want today. It's not impossible to resale but the demand is quite a bit lower.

Thanks Rakin, good to hear..I have been looking in FM tonight with particular attention to what level the master is on, in our price range of course. I am actually pleasantly surprised to see there are more masters down in our range, and a few with master and another bedroom down, even for later 90s vintage homes.

I will just try not to fall in love with the house with the master up I guess.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 PM

Your RE agent can specify master down when they search the MLS and email you those homes also.

Let me give you another biggie tip few people think about.... I realize many cultures want a home that faces east but in TX that's the absolute worst way a home can face. The hot evening summer west sun kills any decent use of the backyard. Facing west is Ok cause the back will be in the shade after about 4-5 pm.

FM is one of my favorite cities in DFW, good choice.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Your RE agent can specify master down when they search the MLS and email you those homes also.

Let me give you another biggie tip few people think about.... I realize many cultures want a home that faces east but in TX that's the absolute worst way a home can face. The hot evening summer west sun kills any decent use of the backyard. Facing west is Ok cause the back will be in the shade after about 4-5 pm.

FM is one of my favorite cities in DFW, good choice.

If I can get those two factors to coincide it might very well be a miracle and mean we were just meant for Texas.

Thanks again for your pointers, incredibly helpful!

Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,359,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
What area are you in? County, neighborhood?

Lantana.

The claim that only new parents prefer master up is ridiculous. In all the people we had look at our house when it was on the market, only two mentioned master up as a negative. The claims on here about master up are overblown, to say the least. Some prefer one way, some prefer another. It may lean more towards master down, but people on here seem to think that master up somehow dooms you to never selling your house.

I have no kids, no plans to have kids, am under 35, and would never buy a house with the master down. Downstairs for company and entertaining, upstairs for personal use.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:18 PM

Hate to disagree but you have no idea of what you are talking about. What you don't know is the people who choose not to see your home becase the master was up. We eliminate those when a buyer says he doesn't want it.

So yes the people who saw your house may not have mentioned the master up and if it is a starter home it may be more in demand.

I'm not saying these things for reason, they are the facts. I do know what I'm talking about.

Anyone who wants a master up should buy one.

From another good agent on here:

Quote:
The best floorplan that sells real fast is the one with the master plus another bedroom on the first floor. The second bedroom can be used as a nursery when the kids are young then they move upstairs as they get older. Then it becomes the guest room for the elderly family that can't do stairs.

I participated in many focus groups with builders and this is a major trend that we see from many buyers these days.

Naima

Old 08-25-2010, 11:21 PM

207 posts, read 504,170 times
Quote:
Hate to disagree but you have no idea of what you are talking about. What you don't know is the people who choose not to see your home becase the master was up. We eliminate those when a buyer says he doesn't want it.

So yes the people who saw your house may not have mentioned the master up and if it is a starter home it may be more in demand.

I'm not saying these things for reason, they are the facts. I do know what I'm talking about.

Anyone who wants a master up should buy one.

From another good agent on here:
agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas