U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 PM

2,284 posts, read 4,245,387 times

Advertisements

Plano ISD gives a ticket but no longer has a Fair Day. I'm not sure if it has to do with keeping class days or the daytime curfew, but it began last year and there was a big to-do about warning all of the parents about getting hassled in Dallas on days that Plano ISD was not in school.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:32 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,874,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Plano ISD gives a ticket but no longer has a Fair Day. I'm not sure if it has to do with keeping class days or the daytime curfew, but it began last year and there was a big to-do about warning all of the parents about getting hassled in Dallas on days that Plano ISD was not in school.
That is odd. We have been going every year and never had a problem w/ being hassled about being out of school. I've never heard of anyone being hassled nor seen anyone being questioned about it.

Plano ISD does not have school on October 15th so the kids/families could go that day as the fair is still going on then. Maybe they are not calling it a "Fair Day" any longer .

Old 09-24-2010, 11:31 AM

430 posts, read 820,086 times
Asked my friend about the discounts she saw online. She said they decided not to go this year and didn't give me any info about the discounts. Sorry about that!

BTW, there will be Super Bowl 45 related activities going on in and around the Hall of State. And they're still seeking volunteers for the Fair. Super Bowl XLV Host Committee North Texas They're still accepting volunteers for closer to gameday through the end of Oct but they definitely could use more people for the Fair too. Free parking and free admission...go hang out before/after your shift!

Old 09-24-2010, 10:31 PM

597 posts, read 528,029 times
Default State Fair History

My Grandmother first attended the State Fair of Texas over 70 years ago prier to moving to Dallas in the early 1940s. At that time she was living in Quinlan TX (a small town not far from Greenville) this must have been in either 1937 or 1938. Now she has not been back to the fair for years now, and the last time she went she remembers it being dusty! The fair really has changed quite a bit over the years, when my grandmother first went to the fair there was no Big Tex!(he was not introduced until 1952).

Here is a link to some more State Fair history; State Fair Of Texas

Not sure if I will attend this year. It can be quite expensive and my Grandmother is not up to going anymore. And with some of the things they are talking about like "fried butter" I'm not sure I want to be eating too much state fair food.. If you take something already unhealthy and fry it, it is twice as unhealthy as it already was in the first place! However, If you have not ever been or are visiting the city of Dallas I encourage you to check it out. When I go I enjoy looking at the vehicles in the automobile building. The cars these days may not be equal to a 1963 Mercury Comet, but I still enjoy them!
Thanks,
JH

Old 09-25-2010, 10:21 AM

Speaking of the 1963 Mercury Comet here's a video presentation that was used to train the salesmen detailing the new features of the vehicle;
YouTube - 1963 Mercury Comet Introduction Slide Show Part 1

Very Interesting! Take a look.

Thanks,
JH

Old 09-27-2010, 07:36 PM

Default Mercury Comet Part Two

Here's part two of the introduction slide show;
YouTube - 1963 Mercury Comet Introduction Slide Show Part 2

What a rare find on the internet!

Thanks.Enjoy,
JH

Old 09-29-2010, 10:14 PM

8,968 posts, read 8,681,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Almost every school district in the Dallas metro area has a "Fair Day" and they don't have school that day. The kids are also given a free Fair Ticket to the fair that they can use that day. If you will look at the schedule for the fair you will see where almost every weekday is "X School District Day". Dallas ISD is the only district where the elementary and high schools do not have the same "Fair Day". I want to say that McKinney ISD does not have a "Fair Day" but they still get a ticket to the fair.
I use to ask for a bunch of tickets at my high school. Our teachers would just hand them out to us and have plenty of extras usually. Easy date.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:21 AM

From Old Dallas Stuff. State Fair 1950s-early 60s

Here's the link;Old Dallas Stuff: Big Tex

Thanks,
JH

Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 AM

2,861 posts, read 4,013,962 times
Channel 13 had a documentary on the history of the State Fair that they played several months ago. It was fascinating for me; I've been going all of my life and I learned a lot from it. I remember the monorail and the steamboats on the lagoon that kept blowing up; the old ice skating rink (not in the colliseum), the side shows, the dunking cages (I won't share what the common name for them was). I remember when they used real .22 rifles in the shooting gallery. Holding up your arms for all of your trip on the Comet was a ritual for teenagers. Oh yea, and the sheep that kept the grass trimmed below it. I also remember when I threw up while upside down on "The Hammer".

Old 10-14-2010, 11:09 AM

8,968 posts, read 8,681,166 times
I think you should share the common name for the dunking cages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas