Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 01:48 PM

588 posts, read 1,792,222 times

Advertisements

Really Philip, who is the problem here, you or the Police. Clearly it's you, you are playing "catch me if you can". How about you actually be a respectful citizen and follow the laws. So instead of focusing on more serious crime, I also have to try to babysit one that wants to test the system, I love it. Just like I love when someone says "catch the real criminals" instead of ticketing speeders. Ok so most PD's across the country are now running shorter because of the economy. So now there's less of us, so instead of everyone doing their part, and trying to act like citizens obeying the law so the Police can target bigger crime, some want to pull this. So which is it? You want us going after real crime, or you want us babysitting people thumbing their nose at the system? Philip, you have a real "us vs. them" mentality. Why not just obey the law and stop wasting the Polices time. Again why the us vs. them, how about you work with law enforcement, do what you are supposed to do and make it a cooperative effort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
If you were a cop here in ca i bet you wouldnt be saying that cause the politicians would order you to ticket expired out of state plates (for revenue). They are cracking down big time here even for tinted windows.
Also, here's a little known "fact" about Police across the country that most people seem to not know. We are human beings, not some robots of the "State". The majority of us are conservative anti-big government. We know the majority of Politicians are not pro-Police and we are not out there following along to mindless "orders" given by them. Seems like stereotypes and misconceptions are some of the biggest when it comes to Police. I'm not a drunk, I don't abuse my significant other, when I'm done with my shift I don't think about my job until I come back. It seems like some people view Police like we probably did school teachers when we were very young. As a child you basically thought your teacher lived/ate/slept at school and did not live a real life. Well, I have my own free thought, I savor my time away from work, I do a very good job at a thankless job, to me there is a bigger part of my life than the uniform. But some people would rather believe we are mindless government controlled workers than independent thinkers.

Last edited by ofcjim40; 09-11-2010 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 04:49 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,458,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Pappy started off with the correct observation -- it is a cop thing. Or the lack of. Or the lack of adult supervision of the various cops.

True Story:

I brought a truck into Texas that was purchased out of state. No Tags, No Registration. Nothing. I drove it around for Ten Years (Yeah -- No Kidding -- 10 YEARS) just to see where the cops hit a lick and where they do not. My "rule" was when I got a real cop to give me a real ticket, I would get it properly registered. It took 10 years. And yes I have/had insurance -- typically million dollar commercial.

If I knew I was going to be an area with enforcement, I would get a 30 day temporary tag, and only sometimes put it in the window. Basically the game works out this way -- Decent areas have law enforcement. Not so decent areas do not.

Whooda Figured, huh?

So if you see laws not being enforced in your local area -- go down to the Donut Shoppe and tell the local cops to get up and get to work.

City of Dallas proper? Especially the South Side -- No Law Enforcement most All Day Any Day. Recently County Constables have been working it, but I think they have been pulled off. It is a BIG part of why so many illegals run No Tags, No Inspections, and No Insurance. Everyone knows there is no enforcement.

By contrast -- Highland Park. They do not play. Two blocks in, no tags -- you are pulled over, just like you were DWB (driving while black).

The slop from being attached to the South Side of Dallas makes things hard on that side. I recall not too long ago, DeSoto started pulling over No Tag/No Inspection/No Insurance cars and just had them towed away.

Various cities that are up and down the range from Nice to not so Nice do various levels of law enforcement.

The city that actually gave me a hard ticket after 10 years? Grand Prairie. No kidding. I got the tags and turned the paperwork into the court and they dismissed it with a $10 dollar fee. So I gave the $200 fine it should have been to the Salvation Army.
Cops in south Dallas have more important police work to do than writing tickets.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:06 PM

3,810 posts, read 8,701,071 times
So many thoughts

Politicians in this area do not have their authority to direct officers to write tickets. The vast majority of cities over 5000 are Council-Manager governments. The city council sets policy and the city manager runs the day to day. Aside from charter violations that would occur if a council member were to direct the chief to write more tickets, it would have to be council majority policy decision. And boy would the media cover that if a council did that at one of their meetings.

And Phillip if you wanted to truly test the system you wouldn't have often the temporary tag. You were playing the system instead.

And that is one of the big reasons so much scrutiny as has been on the county constables. They too were abusing those 30 day temporary tags.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:29 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,501,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
So many thoughts

Politicians in this area do not have their authority to direct officers to write tickets. The vast majority of cities over 5000 are Council-Manager governments. The city council sets policy and the city manager runs the day to day. Aside from charter violations that would occur if a council member were to direct the chief to write more tickets, it would have to be council majority policy decision. And boy would the media cover that if a council did that at one of their meetings.

And Phillip if you wanted to truly test the system you wouldn't have often the temporary tag. You were playing the system instead.

And that is one of the big reasons so much scrutiny as has been on the county constables. They too were abusing those 30 day temporary tags.
Well, I know how to run a legit test, but what is it you think I was testing?

I was merely wondering what areas the cops are slackers in. And I found out. Simple answer -- In general, low income, high crime areas. Sort of a reverse of the concept that poverty causes crime. My thesis is that crime -- and slacker law enforcement -- helps cause poverty.

Used to be some simple action like tags and inspection busting was considered legit cop activity. So I asked around why it was less and less. Answer on that? Because so often the folks pulled over for those had open warrants.

Open warrants? Why would a cop want to avoid that? Is that not part of the job? Just did not want to take yet another dirt bag down to LSU (Lew Sterrett University aka Dallas County Jail). Easier to let it slide, go read the newspaper, and wait for the end of the shift. As the dirt bags learn by observation that law is not enforced, things get further and further afield.

By contrast, Highland Park would not tolerate cops goofing off like they do in Dallas for a day. And by contrast, they also have a whole other level of law enforcement.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:15 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,651,165 times
Their not expired tags...they have moved their registration stickers to the window like we have here. They just havent had to trade in their plates yet

Old 09-13-2010, 11:29 AM

871 posts, read 2,678,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Their not expired tags...they have moved their registration stickers to the window like we have here. They just havent had to trade in their plates yet
You referring to my example of Idaho? I did not look at the front window to see if there were reg stickers in the window, BUT from the back it appears to be well expired so you would think at some point a cop might pull them over.

Of course the California out of plate examples with tags that expired in 2002 could not fit this because California does not do reg stickers to the window.

For those saying the cops have better things to do, I think I explained why it can be issue: it could be a nightmare if one of these people driving around tx with an unregistered car (That's what the IL cop doesn't get: the issue is that they are not complying with the laws of TX in which you need to register your car in this state if you reside here) in terms of insurance or suing them if necessary.

I mean it's tough to sue someone who hits you that resides in TX but has expired out of state tags, an out of state driver's DL, and really nothing that shows where they reside in TX. Hell as I understand it TX cops/gov't can even pull up the old out of state info when you give them an out of state license plate #. When I was still on CA plates, I wasn't charged for using the Bush Turnpike until I got a tolltag and someone at my work said that's because they have no way of getting out of state info.

And like I said, their out of state insurance might not pay out anyways which could force you into using underinsured/uninsured coverage on your own insurance which raises your own premiums.

That's why cops should care. It's not a harmless issue once you think about it and the implications, especially if an accident happens (And they happen all the time here).

Old 09-13-2010, 08:19 PM

588 posts, read 1,792,222 times
That is laughable to say that law enforcement causes poverty. That is one of the most "out there" theories. Ok who is to say thepolice are not ticketing, enforcing these issues to begin with. If it's not a towable offense, all the cop can do is ticket and release. It then weaves it wAy through the court, etc. This is what most people seem to not understand. You can't force anyone to do anything if they don't want to change it. Why do you think some people are arrested 50+ times? They refuse to change their actions. Now in the area there is higher poverty there is higher crime. The Police then have to respond to more serious crimes. These crimes then become a serious drain on manpower and resources. It's not like you wrap up a stabbing or a shooting in 30 minutes like they show on TV. Busy areas usually have little time for routine traffic enforcement. Now to say law enforcement helps to keep people in poverty is just idiotic. It's the law breakers, etc. that are keeping their own community oppressed. It's up to the people in the neighborhoods to help break the downward cycles they are entering. This Aldo means they need to cooperate with the Police. Now I agree what appears "minor" in terms of traffic could actually turn into something bigger. But it ridiculous for someone to knowingly break the law, at catch mr if you can, then call the Police lazy, etc. when he hadn't got caught yet. Talk about misplaced energy.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:30 AM

229 posts, read 604,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I would LOVE to know if you can turn these people in. Keep thinking to check on that as there is one I see all the time from Oregon. The guy is an ortho and has a practice but has had his Oregon plates on his BMW as long as I've seen it here for over two years now. Even worse, he parks right in front of the door to his own business??????!?!?!?!!! WTH would you do that?!?! We park the furthest at our business and make the employees as well. Customers should have the front spots especially when you have people coming and going like a retail establishment.
Why is it your business to turn this guy in? I would assume he is paying more than enough taxes being a doctor and all. Maybe the car doesn't belong to "him" but a relative or business in Oregon.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,524 times
Well, truthfully I understand the importance of up to date registration in what ever state your in. I live in Illinois I was having trouble with passing an emissions test after getting that problem solved I had to drive to reset censors with an expired plates (sticker) but I knew if I drove around in Illinois they are used to looking and seeing what your stickers should look like in a different state(Missouri, your chances are better on the highway) after they read the state they keep going

Old 05-01-2015, 06:40 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,805,384 times
Don't read this out loud but it sounds like a perfect setup for 'Uno who' in WashDC to execute a federal take over of auto registrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas