U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:41 PM

848 posts, read 1,446,836 times

Advertisements

Today for about the 6th time this week I noticed a car with out of state plates that had well-expired tags. This time it was Idaho plates that expired in 2006. Another vehicle I saw earlier this week had CA plates that expired in 2002!

Do the cops not look out for this in (North) Texas? Obviously these people are avoiding getting their car registered here and paying those fees (And aren't paying any state any reg. fees). But even worse, they are likely either not insured or still have their old out of state insurance.

My issue with this is besides the obvious is that I don't want to get into an accident with one of these people. Sure they have a license plate #, but it's out of state and expired, and I'm guessing their insurance is still out of state and still has their out of state address. Probably be a nightmare to get them or their insurance to pay out to you if they are at fault, and then you end up having to tap into your uninsured/under-insured coverage which isn't a whole lot for most people and will cause your own premium to rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 04:48 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,520,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Today for about the 6th time this week I noticed a car with out of state plates that had well-expired tags. This time it was Idaho plates that expired in 2006. Another vehicle I saw earlier this week had CA plates that expired in 2002!

Do the cops not look out for this in (North) Texas? Obviously these people are avoiding getting their car registered here and paying those fees (And aren't paying any state any reg. fees). But even worse, they are likely either not insured or still have their old out of state insurance.

My issue with this is besides the obvious is that I don't want to get into an accident with one of these people. Sure they have a license plate #, but it's out of state and expired, and I'm guessing their insurance is still out of state and still has their out of state address. Probably be a nightmare to get them or their insurance to pay out to you if they are at fault, and then you end up having to tap into your uninsured/under-insured coverage which isn't a whole lot for most people and will cause your own premium to rise.
I would LOVE to know if you can turn these people in. Keep thinking to check on that as there is one I see all the time from Oregon. The guy is an ortho and has a practice but has had his Oregon plates on his BMW as long as I've seen it here for over two years now. Even worse, he parks right in front of the door to his own business??????!?!?!?!!! WTH would you do that?!?! We park the furthest at our business and make the employees as well. Customers should have the front spots especially when you have people coming and going like a retail establishment.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 PM

8,567 posts, read 5,100,154 times
I've just submitted an inquiry to the Texas Dept of Transportation to find out if there is a method to report such an abuser.

Update:

So, 30 seconds later I get an auto-response...

Quote:
Thank you for writing us. Helping customers is our top priority. We answer every email we receive, but sometimes the volume of correspondence delays our reply. Last year, it was our privilege to answer almost 1.9 million customer inquiries. Our goal is to reply to your inquiry within 5 working days.

If you need immediate assistance, please contact our customer call center at 512-465-3025 or 1-888-368-4689. You may also contact one of our regional offices, which are listed on www.TxDMV.gov .

Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 PM

267 posts, read 515,477 times
Nevada just started aggressively enforcing this due to budget shortfalls.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:53 PM

14,023 posts, read 9,753,146 times
They care when they stop someone for something else.

My son ran a stop sign and they wrote him for an expired Nebraska registration, expired Nebraska drivers license and no insurance. It could have cost him $900, but they let him off with a $200 fine when he showed proof of having obtained all that. He just hadn't "gotten around to it."

He gets around to it now! LOL

Old 09-10-2010, 08:55 PM

267 posts, read 515,477 times
When I was driving here, I saw several cars pulled over in middle of nowhere Texas. They all had one thing.

Out of state plates.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:52 AM

567 posts, read 845,681 times
I'm a cop in IL so I can't answer for TX law. In IL we can not write someone with out of state expired plates a ticket because they are violating THIER state law, not IL law. Just like tint is legal in one state and not another, we can't enforce another states law. Not sure if TX is different. Also, I have seen out of state plates that I thought seemed expired, run it in the computer, and they show valid. I know some states the sticker is not the expiration, but when issued, and then they are good for a year, etc. from issuance. So sometimes the answer isn't so clear. The truth of the matter is unless there is something more suspicious about the car, I have better things to do and am too busy to pull someone over for something so minor.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:04 AM

8,325 posts, read 10,322,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
I'm a cop in IL so I can't answer for TX law. In IL we can not write someone with out of state expired plates a ticket because they are violating THIER state law, not IL law. Just like tint is legal in one state and not another, we can't enforce another states law. Not sure if TX is different. Also, I have seen out of state plates that I thought seemed expired, run it in the computer, and they show valid. I know some states the sticker is not the expiration, but when issued, and then they are good for a year, etc. from issuance. So sometimes the answer isn't so clear. The truth of the matter is unless there is something more suspicious about the car, I have better things to do and am too busy to pull someone over for something so minor.
If you were a cop here in ca i bet you wouldnt be saying that cause the politicians would order you to ticket expired out of state plates (for revenue). They are cracking down big time here even for tinted windows.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 AM

14,614 posts, read 27,531,280 times
I see the point of that info however--the fact is that unless you can prove the owner--not the driver--of the car is a resident of TX long enough to have registered the car then there is no law being broken regarding registration...
I think apt owners could maybe call them in for being say an "abandoned" vehicle on apt property--and get them towed--that might put them into the system...

Old 09-11-2010, 11:24 AM

4,503 posts, read 6,260,078 times
Pappy started off with the correct observation -- it is a cop thing. Or the lack of. Or the lack of adult supervision of the various cops.

True Story:

I brought a truck into Texas that was purchased out of state. No Tags, No Registration. Nothing. I drove it around for Ten Years (Yeah -- No Kidding -- 10 YEARS) just to see where the cops hit a lick and where they do not. My "rule" was when I got a real cop to give me a real ticket, I would get it properly registered. It took 10 years. And yes I have/had insurance -- typically million dollar commercial.

If I knew I was going to be an area with enforcement, I would get a 30 day temporary tag, and only sometimes put it in the window. Basically the game works out this way -- Decent areas have law enforcement. Not so decent areas do not.

Whooda Figured, huh?

So if you see laws not being enforced in your local area -- go down to the Donut Shoppe and tell the local cops to get up and get to work.

City of Dallas proper? Especially the South Side -- No Law Enforcement most All Day Any Day. Recently County Constables have been working it, but I think they have been pulled off. It is a BIG part of why so many illegals run No Tags, No Inspections, and No Insurance. Everyone knows there is no enforcement.

By contrast -- Highland Park. They do not play. Two blocks in, no tags -- you are pulled over, just like you were DWB (driving while black).

The slop from being attached to the South Side of Dallas makes things hard on that side. I recall not too long ago, DeSoto started pulling over No Tag/No Inspection/No Insurance cars and just had them towed away.

Various cities that are up and down the range from Nice to not so Nice do various levels of law enforcement.

The city that actually gave me a hard ticket after 10 years? Grand Prairie. No kidding. I got the tags and turned the paperwork into the court and they dismissed it with a $10 dollar fee. So I gave the $200 fine it should have been to the Salvation Army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas