U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-12-2010, 10:50 PM

207 posts, read 219,565 times
just moved from waxahachie, schools aren't THAT bad but i would rather put my kids somewhere else. red oaks schools are about the same as waxahachie. midlothian would be better. what about going more northeast? rowlett, sachse, rockwall, north garland? might be a good drive to love field though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-13-2010, 09:13 AM

6,505 posts, read 7,633,916 times
I can't make a single recommendation w/o knowing price range of the new home......

Unread 09-13-2010, 10:31 AM

8 posts, read 26,725 times
We're just looking to rent at first. I'm looking around $1500 a month price range, 3 bedroom. Schools are important I have a 5 year old that just started and a 3 year old that will start in Texas. Does Kindergarten go full day in Texas or are they half days?? Also does anyone know if the state offers a pre-K program for 4 year olds? Again thank you everyone for your help this has been great!!! One more thing... if anyone knows of a good place for rental listings let me know. I've been searching and have found quite a few but any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Unread 09-13-2010, 10:50 AM

7,591 posts, read 9,005,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneaosborne View Post
We're just looking to rent at first. I'm looking around $1500 a month price range, 3 bedroom. Schools are important I have a 5 year old that just started and a 3 year old that will start in Texas. Does Kindergarten go full day in Texas or are they half days?? Also does anyone know if the state offers a pre-K program for 4 year olds? Again thank you everyone for your help this has been great!!! One more thing... if anyone knows of a good place for rental listings let me know. I've been searching and have found quite a few but any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Oh wow. You are going to have a very difficult time finding an acre to rent for $1500 a month that is less than a 75-90+ minute commute to Love Field that is in a SAFE neighborhood with GOOD schools. I would highly doubt the Fort Worth listing you saw is in a safe neighborhood.

Suck it up and get ready for one hellava drive every day or give up the dream of living on an acre.

Texas is "cheap"-er but it ain't that cheap!!

Unread 09-13-2010, 11:07 AM

846 posts, read 1,237,626 times
Well if you are looking to rent at first, you probably should rent knowing that you won't get to rent the kind of place you want to buy (i.e., you won't get to rent a place with acre at that price).

I suggest you find near where you want to live to rent, and even though it doesn't have the acre you want, you get that when you buy.

For example, some have mentioned Rockwall or Sunnyvale. Probably good choices for what you want, but for renting you probably should sacrifice the acre, knowing you'll get it in the same area when you buy.

Unread 09-13-2010, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 26,725 times
So far I have found some in Celina, Sherman, McKinney, Terrell, Red Oak, and the one in Fort Worth and one in Argyle. I know they are all pretty far of a drive Lucky for me it's my husband doing it and not me I can sacrafice the acre but are there places around for the kids to ride 4-wheelers and dirt bikes for ex...dirt roads back country? I know I'm asking alot considering we're moving to Dallas population millions

Unread 09-13-2010, 11:54 AM

15,818 posts, read 23,343,497 times
Almost 6.5 million - fourth largest metro area in the country. So it's really not like the TV show "Dallas" where we all live on ranches. We get a lot of folks thinking of that when they post here. I'm afraid we kind of made fun of the last one.

Unread 09-13-2010, 01:08 PM

7,591 posts, read 9,005,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneaosborne View Post
So far I have found some in Celina, Sherman, McKinney, Terrell, Red Oak, and the one in Fort Worth and one in Argyle. I know they are all pretty far of a drive Lucky for me it's my husband doing it and not me I can sacrafice the acre but are there places around for the kids to ride 4-wheelers and dirt bikes for ex...dirt roads back country? I know I'm asking alot considering we're moving to Dallas population millions

OMG!!! Your hubby is going to hate you....or maybe you already hate your hubby and don't ever want him to be at home??

A guy in my office in NORTH PLANO lives in Sherman and his commute is over an hour each way. From Sherman to Love Field is probably close to 2 hours EACH WAY!!!

You are not moving to "the country", you are moving to Dallas, a major metropolitan area. The closest dirt roads and back roads are a MAJOR MAJOR daily commute.

Kids ride bikes and play outside in most all neighborhoods in Dallas and its suburbs. Do your kids really have to ride 4-wheelers (like, do they do that at your home now?) or is that just a "Texas" dream of yours that they'll be able to do that? Because they won't. Unless you're ok with dad leaving at 6 to get to work by 8 and coming home at 8 after working until 6. I think asking someone to consider driving 3-4 hours A DAY so your brats, I mean kids, can ride on dirt roads is just CRUEL!!!

Celina, Sherman, Terrell, Argyle, and Fort Worth are PRETTY HORRIBLE COMMUTES to Love Field. The only one I would remotely consider is parts of McKinney (central and western McKinney, closest access to Dallas North Tollroad). You need to foucs your search on properties no more than 20 miles from Love Field. That will still be close to an hour's commute most days.

Unread 09-13-2010, 02:23 PM

207 posts, read 219,565 times
rent is competitive in dallas so i doubt you will find a house on an acre, for 1500, in a good school district. we were paying 1600 in waxahachie for a 2800 sq ft size house. our rent is 1700 in rowlett for a 2400 sq ft house in a neighborhood. guess the smaller the house, the cheaper the rent. everything we found all over DFW was between 1400-1600 for a decent size house in a good school district. also, most school districts offer pre-k in the public schools based on income.

Unread 09-13-2010, 04:51 PM

25,171 posts, read 30,868,218 times
Try Lake Lewisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas