U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:13 AM

3 posts, read 9,923 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I will be relocating to Texas (Irving) during Novermber. Just wondering what should the foreigner do to get a social security number ? Should I get a driver license first before am enligible to apply for the social security number ? And do I have to have an social security number working and living in US ? thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 AM

14,614 posts, read 27,531,280 times
if you are already planning on relocating and you don't know this info then probably you don't qualify to work in US--

Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 AM

8,567 posts, read 5,100,154 times
Social Security Numbers For Noncitizens

How do I apply for a Social Security number and card?
How do I get a Social Security number and card?
Identity and immigration status
Work eligibility
What can I do if I need a number for other reasons?
Contacting Social Security

Quote:
Generally, only noncitizens authorized to work in the United States by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can get a Social Security number. Social Security numbers are used to report an individual’s wages to the government and to determine a person’s eligibility for Social Security benefits. You need a Social Security number to work, collect Social Security benefits and receive some other government services.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:29 PM

6,679 posts, read 10,766,575 times
You can't get a Texas Driver's License without a Social Security Card.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 PM

not according to the TX DPS site
Texas Department of Public Safety - Driver License or ID requirements

I did not see any requirement that you MUST have a SS card to get a TXDL--
you can use it as one piece of several means of identification--but I did not see anything in the info that it is mandatory/must have

Old 10-07-2010, 09:13 PM

8,567 posts, read 5,100,154 times
New residents moving into Texas, who are at least 16 years or older and have a valid driver license from another state, have 90 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas Driver License. All out-of-state applicants must visit a Texas Driver License office to present and complete the following:
  1. Complete the requirements for an original applicant.
  2. If you have a VALID out-of-state license in your possession, please bring it to the driver license office to surrender. The written and driving examinations will be waived, but you must still pass a vision exam.
  3. If you have a VALID out-of-state driver license, or a VALID out-of-country driver license from France, Canada, or Germany, in your possession, please bring it to the driver license office to surrender. The written and driving examinations will be waived, but you must still pass a vision exam.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:02 PM

And does the valid out of the country driver's license then substitute for the other forms of ID listed on the link I posted--
because I saw passport and stuff--not nothing about a driver's license (which I would assume has a photo)

Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 PM

79 posts, read 107,627 times
Do you have a valid green card? Do you have a driver license from your country? If both are yes your fine to come work here. As soon as you get here apply for your SS card. And wait until your license gets close to expiring or a year and get a license here.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 PM

1,997 posts, read 2,673,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You can't get a Texas Driver's License without a Social Security Card.
Not true. You need to go to the DMV or call to ask what kind of papers do you need depending on the type of visa. One of DH's coworkers' wife got it this way.

And I agree, it's weird asking about SSN after his/her plans for relocating are ready.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:57 AM

5,770 posts, read 7,875,198 times
You have to apply for your Social Security Number and Card. To the best of my knowledge this has to be done in person. You need id plus appropriate visa documentation. It takes approximately two weeks for information to get processed from entering the US to Social Security. Applying for number/card earlier can create delays.

TX DMV confuses me with this ID option as Form I94 does not get issued past visa expiration: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/interne...orms/DL-17.pdf
A Foreign Passport with a visa (valid or expired) with
an undefined expiration date and form I-94 with an
undefined expiration date.
A Foreign Passport with a visa (valid or expired) with a
defined expiration date and Form I-94 with a defined
expiration date. The form I-94 must have been issued
for a period of at least one year and have at least six
months validity remaining.

According to TX DMV's application for dl form disclosure of social security number is mandatory.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/interne...rms/DL-14A.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas