Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 7,705 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a great job at Texas A&M-Commerce and I would like to live in Downtown Dallas. Is that crazy? I am 30 and single and the thought of living in Rockwall/Rowlett is depressing to me.

Can anyone offer advice on A) what the estimated commute time from downtown Dallas to Commerce would be, and B) if a commute that long would become impossible after a while?

There is a possibility that I could work a flex schedule and only commute four days a week. And from my one driving experience to Commerce I found that traffic lightened significantly after passing Rockwall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:27 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,575 times
I don't know anyone who has done that before. So, yes, it does sound a little crazy! However, I admire you for wanting to live in Downtown Dallas and share your pain that living in the suburbs would be depressing. Whatever GoogleMaps tells you is usually a decent estimate.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:09 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,721 times
That is far! I would think you would add 3 hours a day to your commute (1.5 each way). That is a lot of time, not to count the excessive miles you would be putting on your vehicle.

Good luck.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times
Yeah, that would be completely nuts. Not that people don't do it, though. My neighbor commutes from Paris, TX to Plano twice a week.

If I were you, though, I'd consider biting the bullet, embracing the area, and just living in Commerce or Greenville. That's kinda your role as an employee of the local college - help keep the hometown afloat. Come into the city on the weekends and live it up then.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:40 PM

229 posts, read 606,978 times
I had a professor in Waco that would commute from Austin a few times a week. I think if you could work the flex schedule and limit your time on campus to 4 days a week, you would be able to enjoy living in Dallas.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:42 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
That commute is unrealistic unless you could do a flex schedule of twice a week. You would never have extra time to enjoy the living of downtown Dallas. You could live in Commerce and commute to Dallas for weekend visits to the restaurants and bars if that's the scene you're looking for. Even going just to Rowlett or Rockwall wouldn't make sense to me. THat's still an hour-ish each way.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:20 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,213 times
Four days a week? Wow. Well what hours because I can tell you from Commerce to Dallas, with very little traffic, is probably over an hr drive. Anytime from 6-9 in the morning, stand still traffice, same for 4-7 at night. Rockwall is actually a very nice town but still, that would be pretty far. My parents lived in Greenville (outside Rockwall) and I worked in Quinlan and I had friends who would drive to Quinlan from Commerce and I couldn't believe that did that! That's at least a 40 minute drive. That sounds nuts. It would probably take your hours to get home...2-3. How badly do you really want to live in Downtown anyway? And gas and rent and mileage and wear and tear on your car? I don't know, I'd suck it up and move to Greenville, Commerce, or Royse City. All these cities are very near Dallas and you could still go to do things in downtown and you would actually have TIME to do these things. With all that commuting, you probably wouldn't have time or money.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:04 PM

247 posts, read 567,822 times
Default Re:

I would not even consider it.

I have family who live out there in Commerce, and it is a LONG way from Dallas. If you have a Kia Rio that gets 50mpg - I still would not do it. Driving 12-18 hours a week is not fun!

Rockwall is a beautiful city. And Greenville is nice too - just a little more country.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,274 times
I do this every week as a grad student from East Dallas. I imagine its a little quicker from downtown since access to freeways is better. Its 1 hr each way. If you're involved with grad students, you'll find that lots of them make this drive. Its an easy, stress free drive. I was spending that same hour going across LBJ in traffic and it was much worse than this.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,562 times
One of my friends owns a condo in Dallas and works in Greenville. He rarely uses the condo because he always ends up staying in Greenville or Commerce.

Aside from the traffic, what happens when/if you have to stay late to help with a university function? Could you see yourself driving through the country at, say, 9pm after a long day's work?

As others have said, Greenville and Commerce aren't terrible places. Unless you can work out some kind of flex schedule, it wouldn't make sense to make that commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas