Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:35 PM

625 posts, read 1,955,779 times

Advertisements

this makes total sense. Move the store so he can live in Dallas. In that case, you should move the store to San Francisco, LA, Miami, NYC, or Chicago. All of these places will be way more fun than Dallas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
What kind of store is this? Maybe you could move the location to Dallas. Plano will be a drag for someone your age - you need to be in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM

419 posts, read 997,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
this makes total sense. Move the store so he can live in Dallas. In that case, you should move the store to San Francisco, LA, Miami, NYC, or Chicago. All of these places will be way more fun than Dallas!
Spare us the drama. Fun is only a part of it. If he's a 22 year old running his own business, being in Dallas shows more stability than a fly-by-night suburb. Moving to "Dallas" only to live in Plano is like moving to "Chicago" only to live in Indianapolis.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,722 times
Default Thank you all for the input!

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the input.

In response to some of you:

1) The location is set, I have already signed the lease and for the type of business that I'm running which I would rather not discuss at this time Plano is a perfect area.

2) I will most likely sign a 7 month lease because once the business is up and running and performing as I expect I will be moving to Uptown. However at this time it is more feasible for me to be closer to the store given the amount of time I will be putting in right off the bat as well as the price I want to pay.

Quote:
There are trade-offs here, which i'll describe below:

1) Closest will be Shops at Legacy. This place will be right by your store, but the apt. complex there has the oldest crowd. It's very upscale, there's an angelica there, but the apartments tend to be expensive, and the restaurants/food are also expensive.

2) Austin Ranch. I've heard good things about Austin Ranch, but it's kind of like an island on to itself. Lots to do within Austin Ranch, and it has a really fratty atmosphere (if that's what you're into since you just graduated college)

3) Addison (Post Addison Circle). This is further away than 1) and 2) but the complex is bigger than Austin Ranch, and Addison has more to do, as well as a younger crowd. Addison has a decent bar scene, but a terrible club scene.

4) Dallas. The other places have the activities, but Dallas has the most to do (it's also the biggest city). The commute, in a best case scenario, will be 25 minutes, and more likely 30-40 minutes.

If I were you, since you're working at the store, I think you have the right idea - live as close to the store as possible. Especially when you're running your own business - your blood, sweat, and tears go into it, and you can't afford to be 30 minutes late b/c of a car accident on the tollway somewhere. Dallas will be more fun, but you can save it for the weekends. (why drive 30 minutes 5x a week for a 5 min drive 2x a week? Isn't it better to reverse it?)

I would look at options 1) and 2), but I think option 2) will be better for you, b/c it is cheaper and a younger crowd.
I'm not looking for a fratty type atmosphere that is going to keep me up every night of the week. I did that in college for 4 years. At the same time I don't want to be in an area full of 40 somethings which I have heard about the shops @ legacy area. The reason I have been leaning toward addison is for it's centrality with relation to my store and the uptown/ downtown area as well as the type of area I've heard it is. I don't like the idea of being isolated in Austin Ranch.

I will be in Dallas in a few weeks and here are the apartments that I will most likely be looking at, if anyone has any experience with any of them I would greatly appreciate the input:

Austin Ranch
Lakeside @ Legacy Village/ legacy village
Post @ legacy
Northside @ legacy village
Post Addisson circle

Old 10-27-2010, 04:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
So you are going to settle for Addison with mid-to late thirty and fortysomethings who are traveling salesmen? Be sure to get some business-logo polo shirts and cell phone belt holders - and don't forget to wear that blue-tooth thingy on your ear.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:39 PM

I live in Addison circle and love it. None of my neighbors are like this. You will be fine!

Quote:
So you are going to settle for Addison with mid-to late thirty and fortysomethings who are traveling salesmen? Be sure to get some business-logo polo shirts and cell phone belt holders - and don't forget to wear that blue-tooth thingy on your ear.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:47 AM

I'm glad they don't live in Addison Circle but you sure see them at the chain restaurants! (I have to work up there sometimes and am forced into going to those places).

Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 PM

Great. I'm sorry that other people wearing business-logo polo shirts bother you while you eat. Maybe instead of eating at a chain restaurant, you can eat at one of our fine local establishments.

Quote:
I'm glad they don't live in Addison Circle but you sure see them at the chain restaurants! (I have to work up there sometimes and am forced into going to those places).

Old 10-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Please spread the word on those - when I get asked to luncheon meetings there it's always at the chains. Logos, branding, focus-grouped menus and marketing running amok. I always suggest Mi Piaci if I get the chance.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:32 PM

4 posts, read 7,722 times
Default @ unexpected

Quote:
I live in Addison circle and love it. None of my neighbors are like this. You will be fine!
I read some reviews on Post addison circle and there seemed to be a lot of complaints about the interiors of the apartments being cheaply done and problems with appliances. What's your experience?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,513 times
Quote:
Amen to that!

I've lived in Dallas for years and more recently in a loft in Deep Ellum. I just turned 40 and I don't even want to live in Addison because of the above reason. However, traffic in Dallas is HORRIBLE and if you live downtown, your commute to Plano will make you want to harm others, so I would recommend living as close to work as possible. If you had a choice and traffic didn't matter, I would recommend Lakewood, Uptown or the Mockingbird area?

I think you're smart in just living close to work. You could always live in Plano next to the train and jump on the train to hit downtown for fun on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: