Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,480 times

Advertisements

Is anyone know about the practice question bank for TExES EC 6 # 191 (Teacher Certification Generalist) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 02:37 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
FYI the correct way to phrase the question would be
Does anyone know...

Old 10-26-2010, 03:04 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Based on many of the questions being asked as of late concerning teacher certification in Texas......... Thank the good Lord that there is not a teacher shortage. Whew.......... I'd have to consider homeschooling my children

Old 10-26-2010, 09:41 PM

you don't have to thank the good Lord-just the rotten economy and the state legislature for making alt-cert possible for people who have a college degree and minimal English skills......

Old 10-27-2010, 04:26 PM

438 posts, read 1,782,966 times
I don't remember a causal relationship between grammatically-challenged posts and method of certification, but I am willing to start paying attention if it would seem to be fruitful.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 AM

198 posts, read 502,017 times
fratermus.......Dont you know momof2dfw and lovestoread are the sheeeerrif and debooty of the city data police department...lol..

Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM

There is nothing in the alt-cert process that I am aware of that tests someone's ability to speak/write English with fluency and uses that ability as a qualifier for competency beyond just the act of answering the questions or writing papers and since most of that is done on-line there is ample opportunity to have outside help or use translation services on the Web to check work...

heck--there are plenty of native-born Americans who go into teaching and have difficulty speaking/writing grammatically correct English...
but the subject line indicated that the OP might have a problem with fluency

My daughter went to college for first two years at what used to be Southwest TX in San Marcos. She had a freshman English teacher who was a grad student from Vietnam...he could barely make himself understood when he lectured to the class because of his accented English. She dropped that class quickly--and it was not the only time she had a foreign-born TA for an entry level class...
one reason why she transferred schools...
It just seems oxymoronic in practice to have someone teaching a class--any class--who makes mistakes using English--

Old 10-28-2010, 10:15 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
I had the same problem many moons ago at UNT. The grad student "teachers" were some of the worst teachers. I still remember the one I had in Algebra one semester. He knew the answers to the problems but he could not tell the class or anyone how to actually WORK the problems to save his life.

I love listening to kids talk when my kids have friends over. Here are two examples I've heard in the last few weeks that cracked me up.
1. A history teacher that for the class assignments for "current events" lets the students pick a current event to speak on from the last two months. One kid forgot their assignment and told the teacher that there were "no current events for him to present". The teacher believed it and gave him a pass on the assignment

2. I tried for the life of me to understand this one when the kids were talking about it. One of them has a teacher that does not give "normal" grades. Most grades are on the 100 point system and it is really easy to calculate your average. This teacher has assignments that range anywhere from being worth 5 points to 60 points. Then to calculate the grade you have to use the butterfly method (something that elementary kids know how to do). Why she makes it this hard on herself I'm not sure. I just said it was a good thing she was not a math teacher.

Oh, and I'm the last person that would be the patrol on C-D for grammar errors. However, I'd like to think that someone that is going to be standing in a classroom teaching my child or any child woud understand the full scoop of the subject they are teaching and can actually teach it.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:26 PM

...to calculate the grade you have to use the butterfly method (something that elementary kids know how to do). Why she makes it this hard on herself I'm not sure. I just said it was a good thing she was not a math teacher.
There are some projects where I have used incremental grades like that but I have no clue what the "butterfly method" is--
and I would imagine that teacher has a computer program that integrates and averages all the grades and keeps tally of all students w/o having to drag out a calculator or her fingers...

Bet the history teacher is a coach...and if I were parents with kids in that school I would be in the principal's office about once a week I imagine with mistakes I found the teacher made grading my children's papers...aren't you upset when you hear stories that you know show pattern of ineptitude?

I taught with friend who lived out of district and the district allowed them a transfer into ours--they were at my local elem--thankfully after my own were long gone...
she is an English teacher and very capable--excellent with grammar and teaches pre-AP English and has gift for teaching writing...
she went head to head with her daughter's teacher more than once about mistakes the teacher made grading her daughter's work--and nothing related to "interpretation"--just the fact that the teacher had no clue how to check grammar...and the teacher would refuse to amend the grade--
that is just stupid on top of stupid...
caused lots of grief for everycone concerned because my friend initially did not do it to get anyone in trouble--just wanted to know if the district was mandating certain practices that were not in accordance with the texts we used in high school...
the teacher was from out of state--new--and was very defensive and had no intention of improving her own knowledge in the midst of grading her students...
It is one thing to make a mistake because you don't know you are making a mistake--but to have your problems pointed out fairly often, refuse to acknowledge that they are problems--is either fear or arrogance and probably some of each...

Old 10-28-2010, 06:07 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
...to calculate the grade you have to use the butterfly method (something that elementary kids know how to do). Why she makes it this hard on herself I'm not sure. I just said it was a good thing she was not a math teacher.
There are some projects where I have used incremental grades like that but I have no clue what the "butterfly method" is--
and I would imagine that teacher has a computer program that integrates and averages all the grades and keeps tally of all students w/o having to drag out a calculator or her fingers...

Bet the history teacher is a coach...and if I were parents with kids in that school I would be in the principal's office about once a week I imagine with mistakes I found the teacher made grading my children's papers...aren't you upset when you hear stories that you know show pattern of ineptitude?

I taught with friend who lived out of district and the district allowed them a transfer into ours--they were at my local elem--thankfully after my own were long gone...
she is an English teacher and very capable--excellent with grammar and teaches pre-AP English and has gift for teaching writing...
she went head to head with her daughter's teacher more than once about mistakes the teacher made grading her daughter's work--and nothing related to "interpretation"--just the fact that the teacher had no clue how to check grammar...and the teacher would refuse to amend the grade--
that is just stupid on top of stupid...
caused lots of grief for everycone concerned because my friend initially did not do it to get anyone in trouble--just wanted to know if the district was mandating certain practices that were not in accordance with the texts we used in high school...
the teacher was from out of state--new--and was very defensive and had no intention of improving her own knowledge in the midst of grading her students...
It is one thing to make a mistake because you don't know you are making a mistake--but to have your problems pointed out fairly often, refuse to acknowledge that they are problems--is either fear or arrogance and probably some of each...
We should reward our teachers for teaching our children, but we should also fine them when our children graduate without having the ability to work. Teaching adult children how to pull up their pants, how not to use their cell phones while on duty, and how to show up everyday and on time should not be a manager's job. Because the education system has failed society, teachers should be charged with infractions.
With that out of the way, having the ability to conjugate the verb "to be" was a skill that once had to be known by every student graduating from the eighth grade.
Please, don't teach.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 10-28-2010 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: tweak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas