Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:17 PM

102 posts, read 395,720 times

Advertisements

Two things:

#1. Aldi and TJ's. Somehow, Oklahoma got Aldi before Texas. And it's a very foreign concept to most Okies. Very few people shop there so far...and yep, I agree it's because there are no name-brands and it's very non-traditional. But TJ's is the same way. Most of their food is independently made for them. Once you shake your "brand loyalty" (as us marketing folks call it), then it's fun to explore new foods, ideas & GREAT PRICES! The Aldi website explains their concept very well. Unfortunately, the staff at the stores (or the OKC store I shopped) don't. So you walk in for the first time, pay a quarter for your cart, don't see brands you know, don't get grocery bags...you find yourself thinking, "What the H?"

I think their stores would take off faster if they had a brochure/greeter who explained things at your first visit.

Aldi carries a great line of healthy stuff called "Fit & Active." Their frozen paninis beat the socks off Lean Cuisine - in taste & price. And they have the BEST refrigerated salsa!

However, I should also mention there are no TJ's in OK, and I haven't heard of them coming. And there's NO competition standing in their way - no CM or WF there, either. I'm thinking this could mean: A) incoming Aldi does not equal incoming TJs, or B) incoming TJs has something to do with liquor laws (OK's are very strict, no beer/wine in grocery stores). And that, as discussed, may indeed mean no TJ's in White Rock.

Which leads me to #2...I'm so glad the "White Rock is dry" conversation came up because I just experienced this last week and was mystified. When we first moved, I saw wine at the Skillman Target, so last weekend I go to Kroger Signature, logically thinking I could get wine for a dinner party.....no wine. Go to Albertsons...none there, either. Finally go to liquor store on Lawther. Quirky law, indeed.

Of course me, the Oklahoman, saying the liquor law is quirky is like the pot calling the kettle black. In college, it was such a big deal to get beer from out-of-state that wasn't "3.2!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,677 times
Wink Dont be sad

Hate to be the one to break the news.....but Aldi has NOTHING to do with Trader Joes. They do NOT operate out of the same warehouse at all. Two bothers out of Germany started the company and now only one of them runs it! I am not sure where ppl got the idea that Aldi and Trader Joes share a warehouse. Its just a quink a dink that Trader Joes opens around Aldi....but I currently live in Indiana and there is an Aldi every other corner and there is only 1 Trader Joes in oh about 200 miles!! So anyway I also hope you all get a Trader Joes becasue I am moving to the area after the first of the year!! Best of luck with your new stores!!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:08 PM

12 posts, read 21,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayamore View Post
Most people are used to buying name brands -advertised on TV -that BUY SHELF SPACE within a grocery store chain.
Aldi, Sack and Save, carry name brands that are not so familiar but just as good for less money.

Name Brands have shelf space tied up tight in most grocery stores...New companies must sell to companies like Aldi or Sack and SAVE.

Just because a product has a familiar name brand on the package does not automatically make it better than any other name brand....One must read the ingredients! Then compare prices!

If the dollar store or Aldi were to sell a dozen EGGs for 50 cents-
A gallon of Milk for 50 cents...Bread for 50 cents....Where would you buy?

As a smart shopper I know where I would buy!
Aldi is a great store, they have changed over the years for the better. Yeah you might have to bag your own groceries and deposit a quarter for your shopping cart (wich you get back). But look at it this way the company would not be able to keep their prices lower. They would have to pay someone to get the carts and then pay another person to bag the groceries. Also keep in mind that can of corn you buy where ever, is the same corn of corn as delmonte. All they do is put different labels on the cans, so keep that in mind when your buying groceries.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,667 times
As I have posted in other threads, Aldi is a hole, plain and simple. It makes Food Lion look like an upscale grocer. If Aldi is foolish enough to try this market, they will fail miserably.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:36 PM

83 posts, read 211,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_rachel View Post
I think TJ's is the only store I'll miss when I move this month. I hope TJ's comes to Dallas!
Keep requesting a location in Dallas on TJ's website. I made my request today... When my wife and I move to Dallas next year, I am going to miss TJ's if they don't have one by the time we arrive there.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 PM
zix

79 posts, read 371,232 times
Even if you never set a foot in Aldi's their entrance into the DFW market does wonders for keeping prices down. Aldi 1 gallon of milk $1.29 in DFW. WMT milk $1.69.

Houston market, where Aldi has not yet arrived, milk at most grocery stores is $2.48-2.58.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:24 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
Aldi = Save-a-lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas