Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:18 PM

49 posts, read 120,193 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all for your candid feedback. I'm still fairly new to Texas and as I mentioned this is the first time I've encountered this.

As for the comment about having small children at a bar by GayleTX. My boys are 8 & 11. We were not AT the bar but at a table on the outer edge to see the tv. I hope you weren't implying its my fault for sitting in that area? There are stringent rules at the location regarding kids at the bar and I've never had any other issues like bad language or drunkenness before. Besides I would have heard it no matter where we sat.

I'm not judging all of North Dallas, just want to know if this bold display of hate happens frequently. I would like to think both me and my children should be able to eat in peace no matter where we sit.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:35 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolenh View Post
I am almost 2 years into being a Texas resident and experienced the strangest incident about a month ago. I wanted to post it because it is still bothering me and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this.

First of all I am an African-American woman with 2 mixed-race children. We live in the Plano area but frequent Frisco & McKinney a lot for food, entertainment, etc because I live right on the border of both cities. Well one day at a popular restaurant in McKinney I took my boys to watch the football game. We sat at one of the tables in the bar area (it was around 7pm I think). My boys are watching the game, waiting for their food and the next thing I knew, some guy stormed out of the restaurant screaming WHITE POWER! WHITE POWER! WHITE POWER! Yes he was white.

Needless to say I was SHOCKED and MORTIFIED. My children didn't flinch because they have no idea what that means, they have never been in these situations before. For that matter neither have I. We are from the North Suburbs of Chicago where yes there is more diversity than this area, but, I have always interacted in majority white settings. The bulk of my issues have been being followed around in high-end stores while shopping.

Anyway, as soon as he started yelling, I looked around the bar and saw there were more minorities in there than usual and quite a few mixed race couples (black men / white women). Everyone kind of looked at each other, no one addressed the issue. Not even management. We quickly finished our meals and while leaving I noticed a police car parked outside.

My concern is obvious, but my question is, is this the norm out here?

I mean I know racism is still out there, but for this person to blatantly scream WHITE POWER in a setting like a restaurant was bizarre and unnerving. My children were there ... This incident happened about a month ago and I haven't been able to shake it. I stopped going to that popular restaurant and started going out of my way to go to the location in Frisco. But it got so inconvenient I ended up going back to McKinney which is only 5 minutes away from me. I don't sit near the bar anymore ...
Sounds like you might have met our very own Mr. Nifty in person.

Seriously, you've lived here two years, right? Have you had this happen before? If not, I'd hope you would realize that this type of behavior is not common at all in this area. I don't recall ever hearing anything like that in the almost 10 years I've lived here. I'm sorry that you and your kids had to be exposed to that, but I think avoiding the restaurant you otherwise liked for an isolated incident involving an obvious idiot is kind of extreme. Sounds like it could have happened anywhere.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:53 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
Sounds like you might have met our very own Mr. Nifty in person.

Seriously, you've lived here two years, right? Have you had this happen before? If not, I'd hope you would realize that this type of behavior is not common at all in this area. I don't recall ever hearing anything like that in the almost 10 years I've lived here. I'm sorry that you and your kids had to be exposed to that, but I think avoiding the restaurant you otherwise liked for an isolated incident involving an obvious idiot is kind of extreme. Sounds like it could have happened anywhere.
I could dignify this with an answer. Indeed, I could qualify myself. I could point out my college eduation. I could point out my extensive background in the cognitive sciences. I could even point out that my best friend is from Turkey and how I get a lot of advice on how to best treat women by asking a lesbian woman that I know at work. But I'm not.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
I would attribute the incident to the fact it happened where it happened - in a BAR! Since nothing else happened I would have to assume management had already 'done something' about earlier behavior, epsecially since he said it as he was, as you state, 'storming OUT of the bar'....he'd probably already been reprimanded for something and was just acting an ass on his way out the door. ..................
This would be my guess as well. The cop car was probably hanging around to make sure he didn't come back. All stores/restaurants/bars like to keep things as quiet as possible. My grandchildren are Asian American and I have never seen anything when out with the family in the Frisco/Plano area.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:24 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolenh View Post
We are from the North Suburbs of Chicago where yes there is more diversity than this area, but, I have always interacted in majority white settings. The bulk of my issues have been being followed around in high-end stores while shopping.
The high-end stores thing would bother me more than the bar neanderthal. The stores' security folks represent management, while the bar guy was only representing his sorry lowlife self.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
If you were assaulted and car jacked by a black man would you wonder if all black men did this ?

You've been here two years and you wonder if everyone is this way ?

I'm sorry it happened but.... Give me a break, you're a smarter person then this to ask this question.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:08 PM

885 posts, read 1,553,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If you were assaulted and car jacked by a black man would you wonder if all black men did this ?

You've been here two years and you wonder if everyone is this way ?

I'm sorry it happened but.... Give me a break, you're a smarter person then this to ask this question.
Well, that guy was entitled to his opinion and belief system.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:35 PM

316 posts, read 784,463 times
Welcome to the Bible Belt! - They're are thousands and thousands of morons like this all over TX - Both socially ignorant and backward in their thinking and ideology. Ignorant, small minded "git er done" rednecks seem to gravitate to North TX - They're 3.8 million Southern Baptists in TX with over 40% calling the DFW area home - I'm truly sorry you had the misfortune to experience that king of bigotry.

Many Southern Baptists (the ones who still think segregation was a good idea) strongly believe that interracial marriage and mixed race relationships are wrong and shouldn't be allowed to happen -- Churches, mainly Southern Baptist, are among several organizations that try to deter interracial couples from attending services where the majority or all of the congregation is white - This is still true, no matter what anyone will try and tell you in North Texas, it still exists, read the threads on CD regarding Racism in TX - This is the reason so many people from both coasts, & Colorado still think that the Majority of Texas is still socially backward - Remember the area your in is one of the most socially and politically conservative counties in the entire nation.

America’s top 20 conservative-friendly counties | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Views on interracial dating - by Teresa Armstrong - Page 3 - Helium

Old 10-30-2010, 08:49 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
Many Southern Baptists (the ones who still think segregation was a good idea) strongly believe that interracial marriage and mixed race relationships are wrong
Since Southern Baptists strongly believe drinking and going to bars are wrong, it's unlikely this guy was making a religious statement, i.e. representing the SB viewpoint.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:28 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
Welcome to the Bible Belt! - They're are thousands and thousands of morons like this all over TX - Both socially ignorant and backward in their thinking and ideology. Ignorant, small minded "git er done" rednecks seem to gravitate to North TX - They're 3.8 million Southern Baptists in TX with over 40% calling the DFW area home - I'm truly sorry you had the misfortune to experience that king of bigotry.

Many Southern Baptists (the ones who still think segregation was a good idea) strongly believe that interracial marriage and mixed race relationships are wrong and shouldn't be allowed to happen -- Churches, mainly Southern Baptist, are among several organizations that try to deter interracial couples from attending services where the majority or all of the congregation is white - This is still true, no matter what anyone will try and tell you in North Texas, it still exists, read the threads on CD regarding Racism in TX - This is the reason so many people from both coasts, & Colorado still think that the Majority of Texas is still socially backward - Remember the area your in is one of the most socially and politically conservative counties in the entire nation.

To the OP: Sorry about that incident but it seems like it was just a guy with a major screw loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas