Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 AM

320 posts, read 296,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Anyway, just wondering if driving up to Dallas would be too much "out of the way" for this long of a trip? He's somewhat ok with long roadtrips (at least he was when he was younger). I, on the other hand, do not really care for long car trips. Am I crazy to think I could handle the whole trip?
Ah. Depending on the area of Houston you're in you'll either have a six hour drive or a three hour drive. I'm assuming you'll pick your boyfriend up at Bush Intercontinental, so you're looking at a three hour drive. Don't know how to get there? Go W on 1960 til you reach I-45 N exit; take it. Or, you can avoid the small roads and take Beltway 8 W from 59 S, and that the 45 N exit. Either one works. At that point you're looking at about 250 miles.

If you're like me you won't think three hours is a long drive. Six is generally MY idea of a long drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 03:01 PM

484 posts, read 467,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryetronics View Post
I just wanted to pipe in here and say that I disagree with love2read's assessment. The key to driving 45 is simply leaving at the right time. If you leave Houston in rush hour, it's going to slow you down the entire drive up here. Sundays seem to be bad for traffic too, but if you go mid-week the road should be pretty wide open (in between Hunstville and Ennis). There is some construction, but you can easily make up that time if you're willing to go with left-lane traffic and do 85 for awhile.

Also, I enjoy the drive. It's has no major landmarks to look at besides the Sam Houston statue, but the route has tons of forest, rolling hills and undeveloped area. It's serene in a way. And at night, with a clear sky, the stars look amazing.
You do have to pick your spots as far as leaving either city to get to the other. I know this well; ryetronics is my cousin and I've driven between here and Dallas a few times for visits. My g/f and I used to live a few miles off 45 and Little York and we made it back from Richardson on a Sunday last year in 3 1/2 hours. Now that we live in the League City/Friendswood area, it takes about 4 1/2.
Here to Fort Worth is a bit closer to five hours. I made it there in just less than five the day before Ike struck by going 290 to 6 to 35.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:31 PM

6,807 posts, read 14,023,558 times
I went to school in Houston and have made that drive many times. Do what ever you have to due to avoid rush hour. If I made the trip on the weekends I never left Houston before 7pm. That traffic can keep you in the city itself for a hour and half. Avoid rush hour at all cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas