Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:17 AM

419 posts, read 994,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
While your system is huge , your ridership levels are pathetic and laughable.... The Dallas Metro needs to step it up and do some serious infill around the stations or stop expanding....
The Boston Subway first started building in 1895 -- when horseback and walking were still the main mode of transportation.

In contrast, Dallas' rail started construction in 1995 -- when cars were the main mode of transportation. So we're supposed to have 100 years of density built in just 15 years -- when people are already used to sprawl and the comfort of their cars?

Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,749,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Our towns are built on vastly different scales and at different times with vastly different technology. Jersey complaining that we don't have the mass transit ridership of the Northeast is like Texans complaining you don't have any ranch land on the East River.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
No sh*t, Sherlock. You think the current economy might have had something to do with that? When developers can't get financing, it's pretty hard to build anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
You fail to see my point. The DART Rail Network is ONLY 14 years old and is JUST NOW developing into an actual SYSTEM. Not enough time has passed for you to pass final judgement as DART Rail is under construction. DART has in fact attracted TOD but not as much as it could have due to oh, I don't know, the lost decade perhaps??? Check back December 8, 2020.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Can you explain this posit?
You keep making excuses for your system but at the end of the day you have none. Everyone is the Transit blogger community has the same opinions as me , the fact that your system is this big and 14 years old means you should have half the system TOD'ed. There are younger systems that have more TOD and are smaller and are not in the NE. Calgary and Dallas are very similar although there system is smaller there usage is higher. They have Sprawly Suburbs and a Dense CBD. DART is the only system in the US that the majority of the stations are surrounded by parking lots. Not even LA or Minneapolis does that , or Seattle. I really hope you can have a TOD explosion later this decade , but something tells me you won't. Because you haven't and there is nothing preventing it either. I think was the only Transit system to lose riders this past decade , everyone else gained..

An Extensive New Addition to Dallas’ Light Rail Network Makes it America’s Longest « The Transport Politic

Streetsblog.net » In Dallas, Sprawling City Form Hampers Shift to Light Rail

Old 12-08-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
You keep making excuses for your system but at the end of the day you have none. Everyone is the Transit blogger community has the same opinions as me , the fact that your system is this big and 14 years old means you should have half the system TOD'ed. There are younger systems that have more TOD and are smaller and are not in the NE. Calgary and Dallas are very similar although there system is smaller there usage is higher. They have Sprawly Suburbs and a Dense CBD. DART is the only system in the US that the majority of the stations are surrounded by parking lots. Not even LA or Minneapolis does that , or Seattle. I really hope you can have a TOD explosion later this decade , but something tells me you won't. Because you haven't and there is nothing preventing it either. I think was the only Transit system to lose riders this past decade , everyone else gained..

An Extensive New Addition to Dallas’ Light Rail Network Makes it America’s Longest « The Transport Politic

Man, we Dallas dwellers would love for Dallas to be more dense.

But people come here (to City-Data at least) and want to live in a freakin' cow pasture then claim they "don't mind" a 2 hour commute in their car. Those relocators are scared to death of "Dallas" because its a "big city" even though it is primarily a single family, suburban city. So they live farther and farther out. Believe me, no one is more upset about this than us. I'd love to see more TOD. But we have to change an entire culture that comes to live here so they can move into a McMansion beside a cow pasture. City-Data posters tend to want to live far away from the city -- even if it is a sprawling, non dense city like Dallas.

You coming on here and beating us down about it is an arrogant and jackass thing to do. I'm usually the jackass around here and I don't appreciate the competition!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
Man, we Dallas dwellers would love for Dallas to be more dense.

But people come here (to City-Data at least) and want to live in a freakin' cow pasture then claim they "don't mind" a 2 hour commute in their car. Those relocators are scared to death of "Dallas" because its a "big city" even though it is primarily a single family, suburban city. So they live farther and farther out. Believe me, no one is more upset about this than us. I'd love to see more TOD. But we have to change an entire culture that comes to live here so they can move into a McMansion beside a cow pasture. City-Data posters tend to want to live far away from the city -- even if it is a sprawling, non dense city like Dallas.

You coming on here and beating us down about it is an arrogant and jackass thing to do. I'm usually the jackass around here and I don't appreciate the competition!
Well then just copy what Calgary did , which is the Dallas of Canada.....they struck a balance between the city dwellers and the MC Mansion ppl....theres no reason Dallas can't.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Well then just copy what Calgary did , which is the Dallas of Canada.....they struck a balance between the city dwellers and the MC Mansion ppl....theres no reason Dallas can't.
Dude, we live in Texas. Cities have to fight like Hell in order to get more density. The legislature and the governor favor the rural parts of the state with significant incentives that the cities are forbidden to offer. We really have to buck the system to build a city in Texas. We're trying, but all odds are against us.

The reason the rail line is so long is that the first line was a roaring success in Dallas proper. Then the suburbs wanted a piece of the action that they claimed to have been paying for. So we have to build the rail line to far flung areas in order to keep them paying into DART. We get no help from the state transportation agency. Instead, they only pay for big wide highways. Regrettably, the Republicans running the state are very suspicious of subsidizing mass transit, but fail to recognize that they completely subsidize roads.

Mass Transit in Texas is a complicated political environment where you lack incredibly significant context.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,521,919 times
Quote:
But its happening to slow , and Downtown Dallas's Parking Policies need to be redone to discourage driving and promote Mass Transit.

What a bunch of nonsense. Light rail should be a choice, not an ultimatum.

Here's a suggestion. If you love the east coast's transit system so much and ours is so terrible, just stay in Jersey. I'm not exactly sure why you give a damn.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
What a bunch of nonsense. Light rail should be a choice, not an ultimatum.

Here's a suggestion. If you love the east coast's transit system so much and ours is so terrible, just stay in Jersey. I'm not exactly sure why you give a damn.
But your system is giving all the other systems a bad name , so maybe its time DART and Dallas start rapidly TOD around the lines. Your giving the critics ammo to critics our systems in the US and Canada , and those our systems i do care about like Denver , Phoenix and St. Louis. I'm not saying your system is terrible , its ridership and model share are terrible.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:05 PM

554 posts, read 1,190,846 times
Quote:

Wow, now I know you have no clue as to what you are talking about.To prop the LA Metro up as an example for Dallas to follow...wow. I can say that because I am from California and know the massive FAILS that system has run into. Furthermore, if ridership is your deal, don't be so impressed with LA Metro's numbers. All lines combined have a daily ridership of 308,000...in a metro of 12,874,797!!! LA Metro and DART are presently the same size and LA Metro opened 6 years before DART Rail. A little perspective, please. Seriosuly, come off of it and go away.

sidenote: I love the LA Metro and wish it well but its prospects aren't the brightest due to major SNAFUs in its history.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,031,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
Yes, please do. That post leads me to believe Nexis4Jersey has never been here or even looked at a map of DART Rail.
I agree, please explain that post. Nexis4Jersey seems to be a bit of a troll on this topic by presenting convoluted and somewhat irrational points.

Being a native of Dallas myself, this makes me very proud and excited to see massive growth and development with relation to DART in the Metroplex, and just makes me proud to be a native Texan in general.

I saw this great video (featured below) on YouTube recently with regard to the newly completed Green Line for those that would like to view a virtual "ride" along the entire line.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
But your system is giving all the other systems a bad name , so maybe its time DART and Dallas start rapidly TOD around the lines. Your giving the critics ammo to critics our systems in the US and Canada , and those our systems i do care about like Denver , Phoenix and St. Louis. I'm not saying your system is terrible , its ridership and model share are terrible.
You do realize you're on the Dallas board right? DART is considered a major success and has inspired other sunbelt cities to build rail. Nothing about it has been considered negative in the local press -- so I don't understand how it could possibly be giving other systems a bad name if it is considered successful for its users. You need to learn some facts about this system before you call it a failure or perhaps the critics need to be called out for being liars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas