Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 08:16 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,878 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who moved to Dallas and now has very little health insurance coverage. He had to pay a massive amount for his wife's delivery. Could this be because of the state? or his particular insurance program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 08:17 PM

670 posts, read 2,999,027 times
It's probably his insurance program. I know when we moved the 1st place we had fought me tooth and nail on hospital charges for an emergency C-section...but when we changed insurance companies we didn't have any problems knock on wood.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:50 PM

150 posts, read 857,867 times
There could be various reasons for the charges the family incurred. For instance, was the pregnancy pre-existing, what particular plan did they opt for, did they obtain care out of network? Was this the first actual billing submitted to the insurance company since the employee's status was confirmed? Was there a period of noncoverage even though employeed? Some companies still have a "waiting period" before coverage begins (in case the employee quits or is terminated before their probationary period ends).

I know when I moved to Texas, my husband's insurance covered the family as soon as he was a confirmed employee. However when our 8 wk old infant was admitted to the hospital a couple of weeks after we moved here, we had to fight to get the hospital and doctor bills covered because they considered his "asthma" a pre-existing condition even though he had never been diagnosised with any breathing problems before we moved here.

I worked in managed care for 7 years. One of the greatest errors made by employees is failing to fully read the descriptions of the plans offered or after the plan is chosen failing to read the actual policies. Hopefully, once the employee understands the plan chosen, they can then decide whether to choose another plan during open enrollment. Most large employers in Texas offer cafeteria style insurance, meaning there are mulitple plans to choose from and sometimes even multiple managed care companies to choose from.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:01 PM

64 posts, read 237,930 times
What about the self-employed? Any self-employeds out there paying for your own insurance? How much for a single, family, etc?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:57 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2DFW View Post
What about the self-employed? Any self-employeds out there paying for your own insurance? How much for a single, family, etc?
If your self-employed the best thing you might be able to do is join the local Chamber of Commerce and then use their benefit plan. Being a member of the CoC puts you in a pool for a provider that they use and can give you better plans and rates. We did this for years for our small business and many others do too.

As for the OP, I'd say it was the plan and not the state. Even from state to state or region the coverage/plan can be different for the same company.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:44 PM

64 posts, read 237,930 times
Thanks. That's a good idea and I will look into that. I do the same thing here only it's not the coc but a private company. Still though, the rates are high and keep going up every year. I pay $400 a month for a single policy and fairly high copays. For a family it's over a $1000. Taxes and insurance are my two biggest expenses here in NY. My house is 2000 sq. ft. and the taxes are $8000. It was the highest taxed home on the block so I just won a grievance that lowered it to $7600. Woo hoo!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 13,753 times
You might want to look into Aflac. I am an independent agent for them and help many self employed and small business owners. The plans are very affordable and can be payroll deducted at a discounted price if you can get your employer to deduct. They work great with other insurance or by themselves. Aflac will pay you directly and not to any doctor or hospital. You can use the money anyway you choose.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:38 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
HIPAA made it illegal for insurance plans to consider pregnancy a pre-exising condition. Most likely your friend signed up for one of those "consumer-driven health plans" with the high deductible and the reimbursement account. If you have a high bill in your first year, they nail you since your reimbursement account has basically nothing in it...

Old 07-13-2007, 10:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
did he have any idea how much it would have cost where he was before--having a baby is expensive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: