Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 06:57 AM

504 posts, read 801,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHi View Post
We are looking at relocation to the area, and this was one of our biggest surprises, all the cars parked along the street regardless if garage was front or back. Really detracted from the beauty of the homes, we love all the use of brick and stone in the construction. Will continue looking for neighborhoods where cars are inside the garage.
The problem is, the streets are so narrow that 2 cars can't drive side by side with cars parked on both sides. I don't like garages in the back either but to me more annoying is to wait for the other car to pass when you are driving on these narrow residential streets. I have never seen in any other city I have lived.
We settled on a neighborhood in Frisco where we have parking space cut outs in front of houses so you don't have to play Pacman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 07:04 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Our home had an alley garage and we loved it. It sold in a day and a half so it's definitely not a deal killer for people. It's a nice, neat appearance, in my opinion. We're moving back to San Antonio and there aren't a lot of neighborhoods with alley garages, so it's back to dodging ginormous trash cans every Wednesday and Saturday. Not to mention driveways stacked with cars that block the sidewalks and cars parked in the street. Yay.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:31 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHi View Post
We are looking at relocation to the area, and this was one of our biggest surprises, all the cars parked along the street regardless if garage was front or back. Really detracted from the beauty of the homes, we love all the use of brick and stone in the construction. Will continue looking for neighborhoods where cars are inside the garage.

I have ranted about this before as well.

My neighborhood is not too bad as far as folks parking in the streets (less than I previously thought). Some other areas I have seen now are muuuuch worse.

I would be willing to bet though that the majority of DFW home owners who park on the street could park in their driveway or garage if they really wanted to. I would say it's more a decision to use the garage for something other than it was intended for (storage of things they will never ever use again mainly). Lol

Old 03-22-2015, 09:08 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
For 30 years, builders couldn't sell a house in the DFW area unless it was rear entry with the garage in the back. People wanted clean car-free streets and to be able to see both directions from their front yard without a bunch of cars everywhere. I still prefer it myself.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 AM

142 posts, read 214,029 times
I have had both but I didn't like alley option. I guess it's a personal preference but to be fair, my current neighborhood has homes with 3 car garages and driveways large enough for multiple cars so nobody parks on the street. It can be an issue in a neighborhood with single garages but again people park on street in alley neighborhoods as well. I get to see my neighbors often and it feels safer without an alley.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:13 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
For 30 years, builders couldn't sell a house in the DFW area unless it was rear entry with the garage in the back. People wanted clean car-free streets and to be able to see both directions from their front yard without a bunch of cars everywhere. I still prefer it myself.

Don't folks park on the street in the front anyway? Defeats the purpose?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:14 AM

718 posts, read 1,389,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They do cost more, but my neighborhood was built in the 50s so it's a non-issue at this point.

I think it all comes down to personal preference. Personally, I like alleys. I don't like how garbage cans look in front of houses on trash pickup day. I think it looks cluttered and gross. That's just me though.

A neighborhood having or not having alleys is not a dealbreaker for me. Alleys for me were a "like to have" but I would have bought a house without one if it had met my other criteria.
No , it's not just you, I hate the garbage cans in front of the house as well , or looking at people open garages that are often unorganized. I prefer alleys.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:00 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times
One easy way to find a neighborhood where no one parks in the street is to find a place with minimum 1 acre lots. Very unlikely anyone will park in the street in that case.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:42 PM

142 posts, read 214,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
No , it's not just you, I hate the garbage cans in front of the house as well , or looking at people open garages that are often unorganized. I prefer alleys.
Garbage pick up is once a week but alley is there 24/7. I do agree that in lower end neighborhoods, people may keep garage doors open but in nice neighborhoods, hardly anybody does that. Alley increases chances of crimes and fender benders.

However, I wouldn't base my decision on presence or absence of an alley.

Last edited by Bloomfielding; 03-22-2015 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 01:12 PM

95 posts, read 163,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomfielding View Post
I have had both but I didn't like alley option. I guess it's a personal preference but to be fair, my current neighborhood has homes with 3 car garages and driveways large enough for multiple cars so nobody parks on the street. It can be an issue in a neighborhood with single garages but again people park on street in alley neighborhoods as well. I get to see my neighbors often and it feels safer without an alley.
Exactly! Typically, the more expensive the area the less likely you are to see any/many cars parked in the front of houses. Also, alley entry doesn't guarantee no parking out front... really depends on how wide the alley is, which is directly proportionate to how much land the developer set aside for the alley? Every three car garage front entry community that I've lived in has had very few cars parked on the street, if any, and are usually college kids or visitor's vehicles. As well, they've all looked very nice, aesthetically, as the home designs blended with the larger driveways and garages.

I work as a LEO (patrol) and can explain at length, from daily experiences, how very unsafe and crime ridden alleys really are. I see much more burglary, assault, robbery, criminal mischief, theft, and so on in alley communities. The criminal mindset is to duck/hide and what better place to operate than an alley... not meant to alarm but just to inform. It is what it is!

If you LOVE the alley life then stick with it, as you might be the exception to the before mentioned criminal activity. Remember, it isn't the alley, just the opportunity the alley affords the criminal element. I prefer not to put my family in that potential predicament, so I'll keep my front entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas