Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you can hide the garage in the front as best as you can, then I guess it can be ok. Like this in Houston for the new townhomes.
Houston - Google Maps
Couldn't find any for Dallas. San Francisco is the best city in the nation for this and it's one of the densest cities in the country. But I still prefer the alley to be in the rear. The alley exists for the ugliness of your property to be in hiding. Especially for trash pickups. I didn't know Texas was big on alleys though.
My entire neighborhood looks like that! Swing garages that you can't see from the street are rampant...not every house, but a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Our trash truck still goes up and down the alleys to pick up trash. Our alley is wide - wide enough for two cars to pass each other and keep driving. It's also paved. I live in Dallas proper.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
there was only one house in that photo that had a swing garage (that I saw) and that was because it was a corner lot--so not exactly a great photo to illustrate your point...

4308 tiffany park colleyville, tx - Google Maps
can't get street view but 4308 Tiffany Park colleyville, tx is for sale--google it and you will get some MLS photos--and you can see from the overhead photo shot that all of the zero lot homes in that neighborhood have J-drives...unless they might be on corner and have rear garage access

Old 11-12-2010, 08:13 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,816,344 times
Nothing says, "hey, my house is going to be vacant, unoccupied, etc. for an extened period," like loading suit cases and such into the car in the driveway in the front of the house. In the same way, I wouldn't want to put the box in which I got my big screen TV, out on the front sidewalk for the week of bulky trash pick-up if you live in Dallas. Don't need to advertize. But then I wouldn't want it out in the alley. Just crush it and bag it for recycleable pick-up and put it with all the other blue bags in the alley.

Last edited by PanTerra; 11-12-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 11:04 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
there was only one house in that photo that had a swing garage (that I saw) and that was because it was a corner lot--so not exactly a great photo to illustrate your point...

4308 tiffany park colleyville, tx - Google Maps
can't get street view but 4308 Tiffany Park colleyville, tx is for sale--google it and you will get some MLS photos--and you can see from the overhead photo shot that all of the zero lot homes in that neighborhood have J-drives...unless they might be on corner and have rear garage access
Wasn't trying to illustrate my point by posting pictures of swing garages. Just trying to say that if your garage is somewhat hidden from the street, it would be better. I just hate the long driveways and the narrow sidewalks. But that's for another topic.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:42 PM

81 posts, read 229,842 times
I hope i never have to move into one of those...ever. When we were househunting we drove into these neighborhoods with back alleys to see how painful traffic is and its a no go for me, I hate them. I love the caldesac we are in now..front garage but plenty of space and it doesnt look messy like people think they do.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
I don't like the alley parking because it's depressing to drive home to your beautiful house and rarely or never see the front of it.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:03 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't like the alley parking because it's depressing to drive home to your beautiful house and rarely or never see the front of it.
Sounds like you spend too much time in your car.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:41 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,873 times
so ... what I'm hearing here is that some people like the front entry garages, some people like the alley entry garages, some people like side entry garages, some people like J entry, some like detached garages

imagine that - different people have different tastes

Old 11-12-2010, 02:51 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,613,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Sounds like you spend too much time in your car.
No kidding. I'm out front almost every day - getting the mail, working in the yard, whatever. I like our rear entry just fine. I see my neighbors a lot since I can see 3 neighbor garages/driveways from mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas