Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 11:28 AM

37 posts, read 115,996 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking at the new home prices since Jan-2010 by the builder A in a specific location. But the recently sold data (tax data) varies a lot (i.e from 150K to 350K for almost the same size say 3000 sq. ft).

I can't understand why the difference is too much ? Can someone please explain. I don't know what price to counter-offer to the builder ? Please help me.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 12:01 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,923,662 times
The tax data represents the county's best guess as to the value of the property. Since they don't have access to the actual sale price, they have to estimate it using whatever information is available.

There's a house in my neighborhood that's nothing particularly special. Yet it's assessed at over $100,000 more than some surrounding houses. Why is that? Because my neighbor used 100% financing to buy his house. The mortgage document is public record, so the county knew exactly what he paid. The other houses have mortgages for smaller amounts, or no mortgages at all.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:17 PM

37 posts, read 115,996 times
Hi BIG G,

Thanks for your reply.

For example if the person A bought a new home - tax value is 150K (assume mortgage amout is $ 150) in Jan-2010 then I have expected the tax amount should be close to 300K (another person bought a home at 350K with 100% finance).
But the tax value of the person A's home is reflected as 150K not 300K/350K.

So it seems to me that the tax is based on the mortgage amount and not based on the homes sold close by.

In this case how do I find out the 'recently sold' price in a particular area. I thought it is available as publich record somewhere. If yes, where can I find it ?

Thanks

Last edited by planoin; 11-13-2010 at 12:44 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 12:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
AFAIK, TX does not disclose selling prices. Your realtor should be able to help you. And if you don't have a Buyer's Agent, then you are going to be making BIG mistakes along the way.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
a new home can only have a certain % of market price as the initial tax valuation--
something to do with state tax law--
so a new home will never go on the tax rolls at what the sales price was--even if they knew it--and there is no legal requirement to inform the tax appraisal district of the sales price...
then the next year, the tax valuation can increase by certain %--

the only way to find out sales price for recent home sales is via a realtor's search on MLS info--
sites like Zillow that claim to have accurate prices for real estate are just blowing out their ears here in Tx--
they use tax valuations, MLS LISTING prices, and guesstimates--but they do not have access to the MLS data that a RE agent does--and that an appraisal agent uses when doing appraisals to set fair market value...

Old 11-13-2010, 05:35 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,923,662 times
In my neighborhood (built about 5 years ago), it appears that most of the homes were intially appraised at the builder's base price of the floorplans, not including any upgrades. They then jacked up the assessed values of those people who could be documented to have higher home values.

Now, those 100% financing people are so far underwater it's not funny. (We had probably 30-40 of those out of 200 or so homes. Many have already been foreclosed or short-sold.) The over-valuation for tax purposes just adds insult to injury. But that's a separate topic.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:29 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,249,908 times
Looks like you got the right answers to your question. TX is a non disclosure state. Only loan amounts are made public, not the sales price.

The accurate data from the MLS varies as to which builder it is too. Several builders are now members of the MLS and they are not putting the true sales price, they put the list price and don't put down the builder's concessions. It is against he MLS rules, but nothing has been done about it yet. It is making it very difficult for some neighborhoods to do appraisals too.

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas