Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 01:53 PM

20 posts, read 66,252 times

Advertisements

I currently commute her in San Diego. I live in a city about 25 miles away and with traffice it takes me about 45 minutes to and from work. I do it because I have to. My son goes to a great new school that has wonderful teachers. We live in a gated community. He goes outside and plays with the neighborhood kids and it's wonderful because we don't have to worry about traffic. We all look out for each others kids so it's quite nice. I don't like the commute but it's well worth it for my son.

I am really hoping and praying that everything will fall into place once we move. I would love a nice home on a nice sized lot, mature trees(lots of greenery ), pool, young children for my son to play with, nice neighbors I hope it's not asking too much but that is what I would love to have. I hope I could find this without the long commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 04:56 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Cali,

Most of the neighborhoods closer to downtown Dallas don't have the community pools and very few are gated. Now there are some very nice WAY upperend homes w/in the LBJ loop that are gated. If you want that then look around the Hillcrest, Preston Rd, Forest Ln, Royal Ln areas. If you want to be in a good school district, small town feel, decent commute to downtown w/ a country club w/ the pool and golf course I would recommend The Shores in Rockwall. Buffalo Creek in Rockwall/Heath is very nice also (don't know about the pool but for some reason I think they do have one or more. They also have lots of parks throughout the neighborhood and lots of trees). I-30 to downtown is not too bad and if you hit it right might only take 30-45 minutes. Buffalo Creek is all custom homes w/ larger lots or small lots. The Shores has different areas from the older custom homes, to some areas w/ tract builders to areas w/ custom homes.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:29 PM

20 posts, read 66,252 times
I looked up Rockwall and I do love the area...the lake views are nice! Wow...thank you soo much for giving me the heads up! I am definately interested in this area! Thanks!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 06:39 PM

19 posts, read 52,677 times
Crime in the "M" Streets isn't bad. Most of the offenses we see (I'm DPD) are property crimes (residental burglaries). Problem here is that there are narrow alleys behind the homes, offering easy access that is sheltered from view. We've put more officers on bicycles in that neighborhood, and they've had an impact since they can navigate the alleys quicker (more area in less time) thank can a squad car. Also, Crime Watch groups up there are very involved with DPD, and they let us know if they think we're not holding up our end of the bargin with regard to fighting crime. The residents there are very close knit, know their neighborhood, and very proactive. They are a pure pleasure to work with.

The houses were built in the 1920's, and are charming, but small. Driving down the streets takes your breath way. It is a beautiful neighborhood, with the architecture, the trees, and the love and work the residents put into their homes.

Lakewood is a great neighborhood. I'm not as familiar with it as I am the M-Streets, but know the residents are also close knit and work closely with DPD (Crime Watch). And the trees - lots and lots of big trees.

You can't go wrong with either neighborhood. If my wife didn't just love the suburbs (God, I don't know why), I'd live in one of the two neighborhoods.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:57 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Lakewood is wonderful.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:32 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,160 times
According to GreatSchools.net, Lakewood Elementary is a wonderful school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas