Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:29 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,139,381 times

Advertisements

What is the cross-street of the one on 75? There is a very good chance the 10-12 minute estimate is correct, provided you take side streets (like Lemmon Ave west to Inwood, Inwood south to UTSW) vs highways. Side streets rarely ever (like maybe 1x per year) have the wrecks & back-up from wrecks you'll see on the highways (75, Tollroad, I-30, I-35) almost every day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 05:19 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,621,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk86 View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it!

I've been looking for apartments around there and found one that fits my budget quite near to UTSW (on Chattanooga Place) but the area doesn't look very pretty on Google maps, looks kind of, I don't know, desertic. The apts east to 75 definitely look better and newer, they're about 5-9 miles away from UTSW which doesn't seem like a long commute at all, Google maps say it's a 10-12 min drive. Traffic concerns me though, anyone knows how bad it could get at about 9AM and 5PM?
I don't know much about the area you found (Chatanooga Place), but I dont' think there is much over there in terms of grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

Depending on how far east you are of 75, the 10-12 minutes is probably about right. I live further east (near White Rock Lake) and it can take me 10+ minutes to get to 75. Hope that helps.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,966 times
Smile Area is safe, but a lot of homeless people nearby.

The medical center is surrounded by lights and policemen usually patrol the area. However, just like any other Houston area, one wrong turn and you could end up in a shady apartment complex.

I recommend using craigslist and forums to investigate further.

Good areas include the galleria, Bellaire, and west university.

If you need housing I am a landlord with several properties available.

[mod]No Classified Ads, no Real Estate services or solicitations. Read Terms of Service. No recommendations with less than 10 posts.[/mod]

Last edited by Willsson; 06-03-2013 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: No Real Estate services or solicitations

Old 06-03-2013, 01:21 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,524,942 times
^^ Wrong med center

Old 06-03-2013, 02:39 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,151,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anav View Post
The medical center is surrounded by lights and policemen usually patrol the area. However, just like any other Houston area, one wrong turn and you could end up in a shady apartment complex.

I recommend using craigslist and forums to investigate further.

Good areas include the galleria, Bellaire, and west university.

If you need housing I am a landlord with several properties available.

Moderator cut: Orphan
They're talking about UT Southwestern in Dallas. And, it was three years ago.

Last edited by Willsson; 06-03-2013 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Orphan detail

Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,768 times
Since this is already bumped, can I ask if anything has changed? I was looking at the Maple Garden Apartments as an SMU law student, and they seem to be on the wrong side of all the streets mentioned earlier. The safety of my fiancee is my main concern. I just really appreciate the newness of the complex at their price.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:57 AM

2,413 posts, read 3,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holynorth View Post
Since this is already bumped, can I ask if anything has changed? I was looking at the Maple Garden Apartments as an SMU law student, and they seem to be on the wrong side of all the streets mentioned earlier. The safety of my fiancee is my main concern. I just really appreciate the newness of the complex at their price.
I have little doubt that the whole area between UTSW and Oak Lawn will all be safe and uniformly nice by the next decade but there are still some sketchy areas to watch out for. They have built a lot of new buildings since 2010, and a brand new Kroger on Maple across from Maple n Motor. Theres also a El Rio Grande grocery store with great produce! It is right across the street from the apartments your looking at. Two great bars are located nearby, Grapevine bar and Windmill Lounge have made numerous appearances in local readers choice picks, and Windmill Lounge was named one of the best bars in America by Esquire:Windmill Lounge | cravedfw. Overall, the area is still transitional or "up and coming".

Maple Motor Burgers & Beer Dallas, TX - YouTube

Maple Gardens are nice, but I would prefer to have covered parking at that price. Check out these places nearby:

Amli on Maple
The Southwestern

Lot of med students and UTSW staff at both of these buildings. Good luck

Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,768 times
The Southwestern looks great. Am I crazy for being an SMU student and living there? Places closer to campus are more expensive for what you get and seem to have a lot of problems with car break ins and noise levels. I don't mind hearing people walk about me and etc, but I'd rather not hear partying at 3am on a school night.

I really want a newer complex, as they include things that I like. I also appreciate the included washer and dryer at the Southwestern and Maple Gardens since it saves a little extra cash. My budget is around 1000-1100.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 PM

2,413 posts, read 3,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holynorth View Post
The Southwestern looks great. Am I crazy for being an SMU student and living there? Places closer to campus are more expensive for what you get and seem to have a lot of problems with car break ins and noise levels. I don't mind hearing people walk about me and etc, but I'd rather not hear partying at 3am on a school night.
The southwestern is nice. It's not that far away, but there are closer places. Sounds like your describing the village. It's not party central, but I don't like that it doesn't have covered parking. I'm not a fan of complexes or garden style apartments. I prefer a single Energy efficient building with indoor hallways, gated garage parking, and courtyard pools.

Quote:
I really want a newer complex, as they include things that I like. I also appreciate the included washer and dryer at the Southwestern and Maple Gardens since it saves a little extra cash. My budget is around 1000-1100.
Both are nice, and within budget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas