Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:44 AM

4 posts, read 4,283 times

Advertisements

You don't need to live close to downtown. Downtown isn't even where a lot of businesses are located. But if living close to downtown in the arts district or Uptown district like some have mentioned or any of the trendy lofts, condos etc is what you want then be ready to pay a hefty price. All that is just south of highland park between downtown. There are neighborhoods east of Dallas that you might look at. But places like Lakewood, Lake highlands, the M' streets etc in old east Dallas have lots of old houses that are remodeled and can be a little expensive but there are still some affordable ones scattered around in there as well as some decent apartments. Also, north of dallas about 20-25 miles or so Plano (west Plano more specifically) has been and continues to be somewhat the popular place for people moving in from out of town, it has all the newest developments and there are a lot of headquarters businesses out that way. Frisco northwest of Plano is growing too. What's called North Dallas is a pretty good compromise between Plano and downtown. The west part of north Dallas can be a little rough in some areas. North of there is Addison where many of the popular the restaurants are. Beltline Rd running west from Coit rd to about the Dallas North Tollway is kind of a main drag restaurant-row area. West of there is Carrollton/Farmers Branch. Some fairly descent neighborhoods to live in there if you look. west of dallas is Irving and los Colinas. Old Irving is kind of run down in areas. Los Colinas is pertty expensive but has a lot of businesses headquartered out that way as well. North of there is Valley Ranch (way too expensive) then places like Flower Mound, Lewisville, all north of there. But good acess to the George Bush tollway (runs east to west from garland through Plano to Carrollton Lewisville area and curves southwest to Los Colinas. Grapevine is also close to that area. DFW airport etc.

These are just a general overviews with exceptions in every area mentioned of course. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM

30 posts, read 59,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay_Marie View Post
That's is a coincidence. If you do have any insight after you get settled please share. Thanks.
Finally settled on a place. Found a nice 1BR condo in downtown for $900/month. A little small, but given availabilities and what I was looking for, it will do for now. After living in an area like Brevard for most of my life, I wanted to go all-out and try living downtown.

I'd recommend you start looking in Uptown. That was my first choice, but I couldn't find the exact right mix of price, location, quality and features I was looking for. Addison was underwhelming to me, and depending on where you work, what you need in a residence, etc., Uptown might be a good start.

Let me know if you have any more-specific questions.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:52 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,529,066 times
If you want a "suburban feel" and not be in the heart of the city but close enough to enjoy it, check out North Dallas or Lake Highlands as well. While Uptown is definitely the popular choice of young up-and-coming singles, that is definitely part of the heart of the city.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:46 AM

446 posts, read 648,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay_Marie View Post
I grew up in NJ was there till I was 20 so I have experienced and love being able to take a train or other some other public transportation to NYC.
If you like trains and rail transit, you're in luck if you come to Dallas. Austin's been a bit late getting to the station, but we have a few great lines here. When looking for places, check their proximity to the Red, Blue, or Green Lines.

My first recommendation would be Uptown. It's "the city" and is quite dense, however. You'd be able to take advantage of the M-Line Streetcar as well as being close to Cityplace and Mockingbird Stations, however--only a short ride to Downtown.

If that's not quite your taste (I know you asked about suburbs): Garland, Richardson, Carrollton, Farmers Branch and Plano are all suburbs that are well-connected with rail and have a variety of available living arrangements, from houses with big yards as well as apartments. In places like these, you have that suburban atmosphere while being close enough that "the city" is only a simple train ride or drive away.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 2,960 times
Default Also from Brevard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scafidi View Post
Finally settled on a place. Found a nice 1BR condo in downtown for $900/month. A little small, but given availabilities and what I was looking for, it will do for now. After living in an area like Brevard for most of my life, I wanted to go all-out and try living downtown.

I'd recommend you start looking in Uptown. That was my first choice, but I couldn't find the exact right mix of price, location, quality and features I was looking for. Addison was underwhelming to me, and depending on where you work, what you need in a residence, etc., Uptown might be a good start.

Let me know if you have any more-specific questions.

Scafidi, I ran upon this thread and all though a couple of years old, it was helpful. I actually am from Brevard as well and moving out to Dallas in Feb for work. Like you said, after living in an area like Brevard most my life, I want to go all out as well and try living in the city.....I have read a bunch of post, and have settled on Uptown, Knox/Henderson, Addison, and possibly Los Colinas area (job will be in Irving)....Since you have been there for a couple of years, what are your thoughts now on best places to live. Oh yeah what are your thought on "The Village" people keep talking about. I am 33, single male, who lives a balanced lifestyle. I like to go out and have fun and be in the mix, but also like things low key sometimes. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: