Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:39 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Fine. Whatever. But before we worry about rail from Houston to Dallas (which will give the country another reason to believe that these cities coincide with each other) we need to get each individual city's local rail situations cleared up. Which will be a long while from now.

What I would be in full support of, though, is a high-speed rail from Houston to New Orleans. A city that's a smaller version of itself. That would be great.

Dallas-Houston? Thumbs down.
No. Just like the cities of Dallas and Houston needs to take care of itself when it comes to developing rail in their city. The same mentality needs to happen just on a state level. Take care of Texas before you try to venture somewhere else. A Dallas-Houston line would receive much higher ridership numbers than a Houston-New Orleans line no matter how many families live between Houston and New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I agree. I believe there is rail connecting D.C. and Boston. If the Texas Triange had rail, then traveling would be so much easier. There would only be a few stops. Say from Dallas to Houston, a stop would be in Huntsville and Corsicana. From SA to Houston, a stop would be in Sealy. From SA to Dallas, a stop would be in Austin(duh), Killeen, and Waco. The only down side is that the cities inside the triangle, or outside the triangle may feel left out.
The Texas area is too big to please everyone. But we need to connect the triangle first. Then worry about cities such as Killeen, Tyler, Bryan-College Station, Waco, and Corpus Christi. If Texas would show how successful they are in this project, then the federal government would have no trouble funding more money to expand the rail system (just like DART). Everyone will not be pleased intially, but they will be pleased down the road because it can be in several phases.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:50 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Why do we need the triangle? Why use high-speed rail to be stuck in Texas?Use it for some other place. That's the problem now.

I know I'm not going to use it. Anyway, I'm not for the idea and that's my position on it.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:25 AM

We need the triangle because it is one of the most populated and traveled areas in the nation. You have 2 of the 7 largest metros in the nation as well as 4 of the fastest growing metros in the nation in that triangle. Over 16 million people live inside the triangle and there will be a good 8-10 million added between 2000-2025. The traffic between the area would constitute a HSR system. Much more needed than a Houston- New Orleans connection. Take care of home before you worry about venturing out somewhere else and home is Texas.

And you may not use it. But many people will. It's good to hop on a train and you can go shopping in both Dallas and Houston on the same day and not pay much to do so.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:38 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,227 times
...and be able to take a nap on the trip home, when your feet are sore from all the walking.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:39 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
We need the triangle because it is one of the most populated and traveled areas in the nation. You have 2 of the 7 largest metros in the nation as well as 4 of the fastest growing metros in the nation in that triangle. Over 16 million people live inside the triangle and there will be a good 8-10 million added between 2000-2025. The traffic between the area would constitute a HSR system. Much more needed than a Houston- New Orleans connection. Take care of home before you worry about venturing out somewhere else and home is Texas.

And you may not use it. But many people will. It's good to hop on a train and you can go shopping in both Dallas and Houston on the same day and not pay much to do so.
I agree. The Texas Triangle contains two of the nations top six largest metro areas. The region is growing and high-speed rail would be needed. Why build a line out to New Orleans, when the more heavily traveled areas are in the state? Mpope, stop being short-sighted, and look into the future. The cities can still expand, as the state expands the HSR.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:35 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,227 times
As in any business venture, you have to go where your get the biggest return on your investment. Dallas-Houston would offer the highest ridership. We need to get this plan going.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
There actually is a plan from the Texas government for something like this. I think we need to split this thread, and take all of the high-speed rail posts and put them in a new thread in the general Texas forum. That way, more people can see it.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:17 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

I think this is a great idea! I would travel much more within Texas than I do now.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:39 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,066 times
Do we really think Southwest(now AA too), and all the oil giants would ever ever allow something like this? Just keepin' it real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas