U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:55 AM

461 posts, read 772,469 times

Advertisements

The Gf and I are moving to Dallas this summer. We will be buying a house. The MIL lives in Garland 1/2 block from the Duck Creek Greenbelt. We really like this greenbelt as it's wooded, has water features, etc.

Trail riding and walking is a major feature I am looking for in my new home's location. Something that is wooded is preferable.

Where in the Dallas area should I be looking for homes with this feature nearby? We are open to almost any area within 20 miles of Dallas, but would like the Garland, Richardson, Plano, Rowlett, Mesquite area(as we're familiar with all of these areas and they are fairly close to downtown Dallas). Would consider further out if it offered an excellent park/area with homes nearby that were affordable for us. Affordable for us means $150k or less(just a nice home between 1500 and 1800sq ft, 3/2, preferably 1 story).

Does anywhere in the Dallas area exist for what we want? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:12 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,713,515 times
I like Duck Creek, too. However it gets very crowded on weekends. I'm not too familiar with that side of town any further east but the Lake Lavon area may be well worth exploring. Commute traffic is very difficult in the DFW area and you should really know where your work will be before you buy a house.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:15 AM

Here's a Collin County website that includes Lake Lavon and other information.
Collin County Trails

Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 AM

Here's a Dallas Trails map, published by Dallas Parks & Recreation. It is incredibly hot and humid between late June and late September here in DFW, so we wind up driving to AR or OK for hiking.

http://www.dallasparks.org/Downloads...etworkPlan.pdf

Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 AM

1,098 posts, read 3,853,811 times
Many areas have trees and trails - check the DORBA (Dallas Off-Road Bicycle Association) DORBA | Dallas Off-Road Bicycle Association for a list of trails.

The closest one to your MIL's house is the Rowlett Creek Preserve trail, a 12 mile trail that is just up Centerville from the Duck Creek area - Rowlett Creek Preserve - GIS Trail Map

Old 10-04-2011, 04:20 PM

143 posts, read 606,921 times
I have been looking for a running trail in the woods like I used to do in the Northeast. The Katy trail is overcrowded with rude and dangerous bicyclists. Also, running on concrete is not good for me.

I went today to the L.B. Houston Nature Trails, which is near where 114 and NW Hwy meet.

It was a pretty nice trail and long. I didn't even try the west side. I didn't come across another person.

32.858230 -96.915883 (, , , , us) - Google Maps

L.B. Houston Nature Trails | DORBA

Old 10-04-2011, 04:38 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,823,301 times
There's also trails at Grapevine lake for anyone that is looking

Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,797,085 times
Get on google earth and look around. You cannot miss the major greenbelts in the area.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:53 AM

49 posts, read 149,284 times
I started biking earlier this year, and there are quite a few trails around the area. In no particular order:
Rowlett Creek Preserve (RCP) - Garland/Rowlett
Arbor Hills - Plano
Harry Moss - Dallas
LB Houston (most beginner friendly) - Dallas
Northshore (probably most popular) - Grapevine
Horseshoe - Grapevine
Cedar Hill State Park ($5 admission, has multiple hiking trails, 1 bike trail) - Cedar Hill
Samson - West Ft Worth / Lake Worth
Erwinn - McKinney
River Legacy - Arlington

DORBA is a great resource for trails around the area.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:55 PM

517 posts, read 768,974 times
These are the ones I ride.

White Rock Creek trail - runs from a park just north of 635 along the White Rock Creek and ends at the White Rock Lake. It is connected to the White Rock Lake trail. ~7.5 miles

White Rock Lake trail - Circles the lake. Very popular and very good trail. Lots of parks, pick-nic areas and a couple sail boat marinas. Also has a spur that crosses the damn. 9-12 miles depending on route taken

Santa Fe Trail - connects into the White Rock trail on the south side of the lake. Runs southwest along the Lakewood golf course and goes down toward Baylor Medical Center and Deep Elm area. ~ 7 miles

Katie Trail - Starts in Victory park right by the American Airline center and runs north along Turtle Creek. ends at a park in the M Streets. Current plans are to continue the trail to connect with the White rock Lake trail. This one runs through uptown so there is a lot of people watching and places to stop for refreshments or food. ~5 miles

Since these all interconnect you can string together some good 20-30 miles rides
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas