Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 05:42 AM

6 posts, read 15,133 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for opinions on the dual enrollment classes offered at Collin College. If you've BTDT, I'd like to hear about your or your child's experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 06:15 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
It depends on your goals. If you're looking to rack up college credits ahead of time, it works pretty well for that purpose. If you're looking to boost your college application, you'd be better served in the AP classes offered.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:31 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Check the colleges you are interested in first before wasting your time with dual credit courses. There was a pretty good article recently in the DMN about dual credit courses. Some colleges will not accept credits that were also counted towards high school graduation. From what I remember while some would accept the credits they made many of the students retake the courses in college. The safest route is AP and IB courses and doing well in them and other activities in high school to boost college acceptance and gain credits. If you can find the article on the Dallas Morning News website it was pretty interesting.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
It depends on what your child's goals are. For some, it is a good option. But if you are trying to be truly competitive, a solid high school with AP classes is going to make a student stand out for more than community college classes.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:50 AM

64 posts, read 222,075 times
Dual college credit programs, now mandated, become more popular | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | News: Education (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/DN-apdualcredit_15met.ART.State.Edition1.50ac201.html - broken link)

Not all colleges accept dual-credit hours amassed by Texas high school students | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

Q&A: Which is best for you: AP or dual credit? | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | News: Education (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/DN-dualcredq%26a_02met.ART.State.Edition1.2c650c2.htm l - broken link)

Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 15,133 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for your replies!

Old 12-02-2010, 02:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
from a high school English teacher's perspective this is what I saw--
I did not teach one but the dual credit teacher who came to my school used my classroom for a couple of years on my off-period--and I let her/him use storage space in my room and had some conversations with them...
knew the kids who took it -- either from my home room or some of my former juniors--

many of the students who took the dual credit in my high school were the same kids who could have taken IB or AP English classes and chose not to because they wanted the free days--
because these classes -- at least in my district/school--are taught by adjuct teachers from TCCC they are taught on the same schedule--students have the class three days a week and are off two--
seniors loved having that extra time--
I know a couple of them who went to houses and played around while parents were at work

what parents maybe don't know is that the colleges treat this as a college class--meaning they do not of the followups -- like progress reports for failing grades--that a high school would do
the colleges won't talk to parents of enrolled students either--because that is their policy for regular students

Old 06-30-2014, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,240 times
I can't tell how old this thread is, but I will go ahead and reply.

I pulled my child out of Allen High School the end of her Sophomore year and enrolled her into Richland Community College Dual credit program, as a parent you will not have access to their grades or progress reports. So you have to demand that your child opens up their person Richland account and allow you to look at it.

Once they graduate you have to proactive in the college search as many schools will not accept the community college credits.

Now for us it worked out. Our child completed her BS before she turned 20 and now is on track to complete their masters CPA before their 22nd birthday. So it all worked out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: