Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Also, if you are "quirky", you can bet you'll have a much harder time fitting in a homogenous small-town suburbn than in a bigger city neighborhood in Dallas that has more of a "live and let live" attitude.

Translation: no homeowners associations and less diversity. Also a message I have driven home time and again on these threads; that people should, and usually want to, live near others who share similar value sets and have the same expectations for quality of life. If your single for example, moving into a bedroom community might not be the best way to meet people-that point I tend to agree with. But too often people here make it sound like it's some requirement in life to live in 'Diverse' areas for the benefit of your children. Gimme a break..

For me, I want an HOA, and I could care less about whether I live near whites, blacks, pinks or yellows. People are people to me, well sometimes they are..Mostly we just want good schools, safety and peace and quiet. And don't feel my children would benefit any more or less from living near one race or the other so long as they are educated properly.

Last edited by skids929; 01-20-2011 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 03:46 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Translation: no homeowners associations and less diversity. Also a message I have driven home time and again on these threads; that people should, and usually want to, live near others who share similar value sets and have the same expectations for quality of life. If your single for example, moving into a bedroom community might not be the best way to meet people-that point I tend to agree with. But too often people here make it sound like it's some requirement in life to live in 'Diverse' areas for the benefit of your children. Gimme a break..

For me, I want an HOA, and I could care less about whether I live near whites, blacks, pinks or yellows. People are people to me, well sometimes they are..Mostly we just want good schools, safety and peace and quiet. And don't feel my children would benefit any more or less from living near one race or the other so long as they are educated properly.

Skids, "quirky" wasn't my word.....it was something OP specifically pointed out about herself as she & hubby evaluated which neighborhood they thought they would fit in. My use of "quirky" had NOTHING to do with diversity, HOAs, etc. I didn't tout any area as "diverse" nor did OP suggest that "diverse" was a requirement. Here's the word in context for you-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
We just know that we wouldn't fit, but we're kind of quirky.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
The good friend I mentioned on another thread who was president of the Lakewood Heights Neighborhood Association who was then elected president of the Dallas Homeowner's League told me she was going to print "Keep Lakewood Quirky" bumper stickers.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:08 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The good friend I mentioned on another thread who was president of the Lakewood Heights Neighborhood Association who was then elected president of the Dallas Homeowner's League told me she was going to print "Keep Lakewood Quirky" bumper stickers.
I like it!

Old 01-21-2011, 04:36 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Here are our high school shirts:

Old 02-23-2011, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,445 times
OK ... from a person who lives in Flower Mound, let me say if you are looking at the burbs, Flower Mound, Southlake or Coppell. All have college-prep level public high schools, great community feel and a little roomier than Dallas inside the loop. FloMo has great recreation, great little league sports, great churches and at least one synagogue, low, low crime, and the commute is not as bad as people make it out to be. Coming home is worse than going, but tell you hub to tune his radio to The Ticket and he'll wish for more time in the car FloMo is a jewel of a burb. Depends on what you like and where you are comfy. Wherever you land, Dallas abounds with great food all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas