Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times

Advertisements

Squirl - It's not as bad as the Frisco and McKinney to Downtown most people on here are always talking about...and there will be a rail option. If the OP needs an IB high school, there are only a handful in the area. Coppell offers it but I don't know how hard it would be to get into such an established program in a large suburb. Also Lakewood meets some of the other requirements of the poster. Park Cities was mentioned and my high school's district adjoins that (in fact a small portion of University Park is in the district)...and as I said, you don't have to live in the attendance zone to apply for transfer - in fact you could apply for transfer even if you don't live in DISD - there is no tuition as was the case in the past: http://www.dallasisd.org/parents/transferforms/teaoutofdistrict%20form.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:43 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,923,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
^^OK, I like Lakewood, but really it is just not the best location for EVERYONE. Lakewood to Las Colinas is just an unreasonable commute with so many other choices.
+1. Anyway, there just isn't enough room in Lakewood for all the people Lakewooder wants to have move there.

Oh, and put me down as - what number? +5? (if I did my math right) - for Coppell ISD as the best choice with proximity to Las Colinas. Maybe Carroll ISD as a backup, but it will cost more and be more sports-oriented vs. academics-oriented.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:46 PM

56 posts, read 179,455 times
Quote:
^^OK, I like Lakewood, but really it is just not the best location for EVERYONE. Lakewood to Las Colinas is just an unreasonable commute with so many other choices.

For what it's worth.....I live in the Lakewood area and work in Las Colinas, my average commute time in the morning is 20-25 min, and 30-35 min in the evenings. Not great, but not bad at all given some of the other options.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:47 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Agreed. When a new poster indicates academics are the "be all and end all" for their decision, the DFW area offers a very short list of options (HPISD, Coppell ISD, Plano ISD, and a handful of magnets or elite privates).

Lakewood offers very good schools, but is not a "Top 5" high school choice....it may be one day due to people rejecting long commutes or being priced out of the Park Cities, but it's not there yet.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:08 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,882,711 times
Quote:
EXACTLY!

Lakewooder, if someone worked in Lakewood would you really tell them to live in Las Colinas? NO so the reverse is true, you are always the first to be on the bandwagon for Livng CLOSE to where you work (when that work is in downtown DALLAS) and I agree with you 100%. However in this case sorry no, Lakewood would not be the best choice.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:12 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,200 times
If Academics is "the" criteria, suggest looking into Flower Mound. FMHS had large no. of 2011 National Merits Semi Finalist compared to HPISD/ Coppell HS/ Southlake Caroll HS / Plano West/ East. I normally use National Merit scholarships, Texas School ratings, their performance in state/ national level for competition like UIL and the type/ quality of clubs, gifted program they have in school.

2011 National Merit Semi-Finalists

This thread also has information on previous years as well.

FMHS was also 3rd overall in state in UIL competition last year (1st two schools were from Houston);
UIL State Meet -2010 Results

Old 12-09-2010, 04:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
If Academics is "the" criteria, suggest looking into Flower Mound. FMHS had large no. of 2011 National Merits Semi Finalist compared to HPISD/ Coppell HS/ Southlake Caroll HS / Plano West/ East. I normally use National Merit scholarships, Texas School ratings, their performance in state/ national level for competition like UIL and the type/ quality of clubs, gifted program they have in school.

2011 National Merit Semi-Finalists

This thread also has information on previous years as well.

FMHS was also 3rd overall in state in UIL competition last year (1st two schools were from Houston);
UIL State Meet -2010 Results
Flower Mound does have very good schools, but the commute to Las Colinas (or anywhere, really!) is a bear right now due to all of the 5-year DFW connector work on 114....and taking 635 is a slow crawl. That's probably going to be a 40-50 minute drive for the next 4-5 years.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:28 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,579 times
Quote:

True. I love Lakewood. One of my very favorite restaurants in all of Dallas is Angelo's, so I visit often. But it's not the only place to live in Dallas. Besides, I don't think there are enough homes in Lakewood for everybody that Lakewooder is inviting in.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Well you could be right! I almost never go upstairs so I might be willing to rent that out...

Old 12-09-2010, 05:01 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,923,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Lakewood offers very good schools, but is not a "Top 5" high school choice....it may be one day due to people rejecting long commutes or being priced out of the Park Cities, but it's not there yet.
Wait! Wait! Newsweek ranks Woodrow Wilson THIRTY-SEVEN spots above Coppell. There is NO WAY anyone is allowed to say or believe that Coppell is better in any way, shape or form! Newsweek says it's worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas