U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2010, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,012 posts, read 7,674,075 times
Reputation: 2262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carevy View Post
If were not for the house budget it would be a big difference in terms of school,good place for rising the kids,safest area?
Lakewood is a beautiful area of Dallas. Easily one of the top-3 best area to live in.

Flower Mound is a very nice suburb, definitely upper-middle class.

Both areas are going to be nice. Flower Mound is going to be newer, and less expensive. Both areas are going to have excellent schools, be safe, be a nice place for kids, etc.

You can't go wrong with either one, but that housing budget would have to be drastically expanded to buy in to Lakewood. And don't forget, the more expensive your house, the more you pay in property tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2010, 09:05 PM
 
8,054 posts, read 10,559,677 times
Reputation: 5476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carevy View Post
If were not for the house budget it would be a big difference in terms of school,good place for rising the kids,safest area?
If you only have $200-250k to spend, it's a moot point. You would need to up your budget to $400-500k or so to get a nicely remodeled family-size (3-4 bedrooms) in Lakewood proper.

Have you ever been to Dallas? It's huge! In Lakewood, you're raising city kids. In FM, it's Pleasantville, USA. Not that Lakewood isn't pleasant (it is and I personally would pick it over FM or any other suburb), but FM is 25 miles northwest of Downtown Dallas, closer to rural areas- you'll even see homes with horses out there. Lakewood is 3 or so miles from Downtown- from the higher elevation points in Lakewood, you can see skyscrapers.

If you like the idea of being closer to the city than out in FM, Lake Highlands (just north of Lakewood, but still by White Rock Lake) and parts of Richardson (suburb just north of North Dallas) will be in excellent Richarsdson ISD and have many many more choices of homes at your price point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 PM
 
382 posts, read 556,171 times
Reputation: 242
I have'nt been to Lakewood but I will after reading so much about it. Flower Mound has excellent school system , low property tax rate (2.01%), safe neighborhoods and a great place to to live and raise a family.

DFW airport is 3 to 12 miles (depending on where you live in FM). All schools in FM are exemplary including High Schools. Inspite of the overall population growth & construction boom in DFW area, FM has retained its own character of less retail/ commercial with a kids/ family friendly neighbourhoods. There is only 1 apartment complex and the residents are very actively involved in running the Town and vocal about quality of life & environment than other towns.
You can find a house from 100K to $ 10 million. Average home price is $ 300K and there are some excellent master planned communities with recreational facilities. House inventory is relatively newer with more value for your $$$. New Constructions is generally $450K plus. A recent FBI report listed Flower Mound as the 2nd safest in US and lowest crime in Texas among Towns with a 50K- 99K population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 AM
 
2,780 posts, read 5,424,592 times
Reputation: 1280
It depends what type of environment you want for your family.
I did some volunteer work with a lady from Flower Mound who was itching to leave Flower Mound because of as she described "being surrounded by linear thinking".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 09:13 AM
 
24 posts, read 32,369 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
It depends what type of environment you want for your family.
I did some volunteer work with a lady from Flower Mound who was itching to leave Flower Mound because of as she described "being surrounded by linear thinking".
When she said "being surrounded by linear thinking" what that means??political,relations....sorry for the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 10:18 AM
 
2,780 posts, read 5,424,592 times
Reputation: 1280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carevy View Post
When she said "being surrounded by linear thinking" what that means??political,relations....sorry for the question.
Pretty much all facets of life: political, education, consumerism, etc. She would be drinking her goji berry/nettle tea and discuss the previous nights film showcases. We volunteered for the Dallas International Film Festival. She was disappointed in her town being farmland yet unable to to actually raise chickens and use her land the way she wanted. She homeschooled her daughter to give her a full world view of education instead of constant test taking (that occurs everywhere). She was a fantastic conversationalist and well educated on many topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 02:05 PM
 
15,957 posts, read 25,152,943 times
Reputation: 5884
I had a classmate who grew up in Lakewood who ended up in Flower Mound and she didn't like it either. She had lived in Indonesia and China after college and is quite the world traveler in general. She moved back to Lakewood albeit on the northern edge in a 1950s/60s ranch home - probably in the same price range as OP, maybe a bit more. However, she has the benefit of the family mansion in Lakewood Proper on a 225' deep lot with pool and guest house..

If you were to live in Flower Mound and had to commute you would probably save enough in gas and tolls to budget $50,000 more for a house in Lakewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 03:09 PM
 
382 posts, read 556,171 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Pretty much all facets of life: political, education, consumerism, etc. She would be drinking her goji berry/nettle tea and discuss the previous nights film showcases. We volunteered for the Dallas International Film Festival. She was disappointed in her town being farmland yet unable to to actually raise chickens and use her land the way she wanted. She homeschooled her daughter to give her a full world view of education instead of constant test taking (that occurs everywhere). She was a fantastic conversationalist and well educated on many topics.
Interesting example you brought up. How can you generalize the entire city population based on inputs from one lady ? The very fact that this lady homeschooled her daughter (and I respect and appreciate the reasons behind this) instead of the regular public school system tells that she had different perspective just like any of us. In fact some people will call her with 'Linear' thinking.

If you compare the City Forum statistics of FM Vs Southlake or Plano or Coppell or any other similar demography there is insignificant difference in % of High Schools grads, Bachelor Degree or Professional Degrees.

BTW FM is not farmland as the lady told you. The West side has lots of open and agricultural land but pretty much most of the FM population of highly educated parents/ professional resides in Sub-Urban Subdivisions but with relatively more open, green, scenic areas and lesser population density than other towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 03:27 PM
 
382 posts, read 556,171 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I had a classmate who grew up in Lakewood who ended up in Flower Mound and she didn't like it either. She had lived in Indonesia and China after college and is quite the world traveler in general. She moved back to Lakewood albeit on the northern edge in a 1950s/60s ranch home - probably in the same price range as OP, maybe a bit more. However, she has the benefit of the family mansion in Lakewood Proper on a 225' deep lot with pool and guest house..

If you were to live in Flower Mound and had to commute you would probably save enough in gas and tolls to budget $50,000 more for a house in Lakewood.
I don't think Lakewood has houses for everyone moving to DFW . May be Lakewood has a lot more people of different international background in the northern edge to get connected. I can't see Lakewood's demography percentages in City Forum to come to this conclusion. Did she lacked social skills?

The OP mentioned of getting Opportunities in all areas. Your comment on commute will apply to Lakewood as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:21 PM
 
15,957 posts, read 25,152,943 times
Reputation: 5884
Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
I Did she lacked social skills?
She was president of her sorority and quite involved in the international programs of the YMCA as well as a fundraising leader for the East Dallas/White Rock Y. She held office in the Texas State YMCA "Youth in Government" conference in Austin. She earned an MBA about 10 years out of college. She's also a leader at her church. Most of all she was one of my fellow 'co-stars' in the famous Woodrow Musicals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:26 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top