Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:31 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I am, once again, considering moving to Dallas from Chicago, and have found a potential place to live that is in what the agent described as the new "East End" neighborhood...it is east of Uptown, accross 75, and basically a few blocks east of CityPlace...and is south of Fitzhugh. Is this a decent area yet, or, does it still have a long way to go to be considered desirable? I have checked it out on Google Maps, and I can tell that there is a lot of tear-down activity, where older structures are being torn down and replaced with apartment buildings and that is a good sign, but other than that, is this going to be a good place to live, or should I hold out and find something more desirable over in Uptown or further up in the M Streets area? It looks to me like the neighborhood is currently "block to block", meaning some blocks are nice looking and some are still sort of ratty. There isnt really anything to walk to (although I could drive to Uptown and be there, with the bars etc in about 5 mins).

Thought, suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 01:56 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Hey everyone,

I am, once again, considering moving to Dallas from Chicago, and have found a potential place to live that is in what the agent described as the new "East End" neighborhood...it is east of Uptown, accross 75, and basically a few blocks east of CityPlace...and is south of Fitzhugh. Is this a decent area yet, or, does it still have a long way to go to be considered desirable? I have checked it out on Google Maps, and I can tell that there is a lot of tear-down activity, where older structures are being torn down and replaced with apartment buildings and that is a good sign, but other than that, is this going to be a good place to live, or should I hold out and find something more desirable over in Uptown or further up in the M Streets area? It looks to me like the neighborhood is currently "block to block", meaning some blocks are nice looking and some are still sort of ratty. There isnt really anything to walk to (although I could drive to Uptown and be there, with the bars etc in about 5 mins).

Thought, suggestions?
I guess they are trying to create the illusion of gentrification by giving it the "East End" moniker. Haven't heard that one myself until now. If it's due east of CityPlace, then the area is very much transitional. You're correct, there isn't much to walk to aside from Target, Big Lots, Radio Shack, Cross Dress for Less........ You have lots of choices near Downtown, so I would recommend exploring other areas first. For example, some of the new or newish complexes on Henderson Ave. That's about a mile north of CityPlace and it's a very hot restaurant/bar district with lots of recent apartment development. I can only think of the name for one of them, so here's that website: Dallas Texas Apartments - Home - Easton Apartments

Old 12-17-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
I guess they are trying to create the illusion of gentrification by giving it the "East End" moniker. Haven't heard that one myself until now. If it's due east of CityPlace, then the area is very much transitional. You're correct, there isn't much to walk to aside from Target, Big Lots, Radio Shack, Cross Dress for Less........ You have lots of choices near Downtown, so I would recommend exploring other areas first. For example, some of the new or newish complexes on Henderson Ave. That's about a mile north of CityPlace and it's a very hot restaurant/bar district with lots of recent apartment development. I can only think of the name for one of them, so here's that website: Dallas Texas Apartments - Home - Easton Apartments
Thank you for posting the link to the Easton. It is a beuatuful complex, and I agree, Hendserson Ave is AWESOME. However, for me, at this time, I am looking for something to buy. The property I found down in the "east end" is a townhome development....brand new, great floor plan, and I love the upgrades and finishings in the unit...and, most importantly, it is in my price range...I wouldnt mind renting in a good complex, but now that I am pushing 38 years old, I am starting to feel silly (pathetic?) living in apartments at this point and I just want to finally own my own condo/townhome (but dont want to move to the burbs - I want to have a nice enough place in the fun area of town for young professionals).

I may fly back down and look in the area again to check out the 'vibe' to see if it would be where I would want to live. Other than that, the property itself seems great.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:12 PM

Hey thanks for posting this, Lakewooder, this is very encouraging, as the property in question is close that intersection.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:14 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I own a couple of properties nearby and I have no intention of selling in the near future!

Old 12-17-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
By thwe way, DN, have you seen that place at the corner of Henderson and Belmont? It is an apartment complex that looks like it is straight out of Spain or California; the place is beautiful!

I guess I am just tired of paying rent and moving every other year (not to mention not getting any tax breaks etc), otherwise a place like that would be perfect to live! Like I mentioned in my previous post, I want to live in the hot area of town, but be able to get a townhome that I can afford (and I make pretty decent money). It seems the actual towmhomes that are accross 75 are just out of my current price range; whereas this one that I am referring to is really nice and fits perfectly within my budget. So I am trying to get a feel for this area and if it can be considered to be in cool, interesting area to live (even if it is still early in the revitalization cycle).

Old 12-17-2010, 02:27 PM

419 posts, read 998,185 times
I think it is in the early stages of the revitalization cycle. There really isn't much to walk to around there just yet. But revitalization is inevitable for that area.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:32 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
First- no one is calling that area the "East End" except your real estate agent!!! LOL.

As for the location & prospect of buying there--> It depends on where exactly. If it's north of Fitzhugh, I think it's ok & a good buy now because the gentrification is definitely in full force.

If it's in the triangle south of Fitzhugh, east of 75, west of Ross.....I'd pass for now. The gentrification will happen in the next "boom cycle" but if you're not able to buy & hold for 7-10 years, I don't think you would do well.

You could buy 4407 Rusk Avenue in that neighborhood (on the market for $190k) and live in a 2010 townhome like this:

Meanwhile, the homes literally around the block look like this:

4518 Deere Street $79.9k NOtice the lovely boarded up windows!

Moderator cut: no copyrighted images allowed

This vacant lot at 2300 N Caroll is for sale for $45k. You can see from the home next door and behind the lot what the neighborhood generally looks like- except for the random new construction popping up here and there. The lovely townhome I showed you on Rusk could very well be next door to a vacant lot like this or a boarded up home like the other picture I posted.

I'm not knocking the neighborhood down. It's a FANTASTIC location for proximity to downtown, uptown, and Knox-Henderson/ East Dallas. But the neighborhood south of Fitzhugh is VERY, VERY POOR. It's not the safest place- not compared to the neighborhoods north, east, and west- and even to the south (Bryan Place). It's not the cleanest place- lots of empty lots and trash/litter.

It will eventually turn - it just has to, the location is too good.

But I would strongly caution only people who consider themselves to be "urban pioneers" to buy here. Someone who is willing to live in a neighborhood with vagrants, trash/litter, upset residents who will be displaced from the neighborhood as their property taxes double or triple from $1,400 (on a $45k home) to $3,000 or $5,000.

You may even be better off spending $100k to try to buy 2 lots together and flip them to sell to a developer when the economy improves. There will be a ton of flip money to be made in this neighborhood eventually.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:34 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
By thwe way, DN, have you seen that place at the corner of Henderson and Belmont? It is an apartment complex that looks like it is straight out of Spain or California; the place is beautiful!
That complex is gorgeous, but I believe it's in foreclosure, no??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas