Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:18 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times

Advertisements

Good God you are clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 01:43 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Once again, don't worry, being an adult with thick skin, I won't report you.
You know, you are probably interesting and I figure people probably like you. You are probably typical and way inside the box in terms of your thinking which is a good quality to have when engaging in casual conversation with shallow people.
In comparison, I tend to take the courage to think on my feet. I also try to treat people better than they deserve to be treated which is why I don't walk around with my pants down exposing my underwear though it does seem that young women nowadays tend to like that. You know, guys will tend to do what works for them which explains a lot.
Along with trying to keep my pants up, I also try to write in such a way that honors not only my audience, but my ancestors who suffered greatly to conceive me.
Shallow? Hardly. I'm thinking outside the box just like you are! A Stripopolis is a pretty unique and shall I say a Nifty idea if you ask me. I'm helping you out and this is the thanks I get? Hmph, some folks are just ungrateful as hell!

I can't help it if Houston is the closest thing that Texas has to a real city, and I know this seems to get you in a tizzy.Your so-called 'promotion' of Dallas pretty much falls into the perception that Dallas just builds multi-billion dollar boondoggles to show off and prove something instead of staying in its lane as overgrown suburb it really is. Insulting Houston does no one any favors.

As for the second part regarding men sagging their pants, I have no idea of what you speak of. I prefer mature grown men that wear belts. Nice attempt at stereotyping! Typical, but that's the Dallas Way!

Ta-ta for now lovemuffins! I'm off to cook some delicious dressing and gravy for my family!

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 12-23-2010 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 02:29 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post

As for the second part regarding men sagging their pants, I have no idea of what you speak of. I prefer mature grown men that wear belts. Nice attempt at stereotyping! Typical, but that's the Dallas Way!
I dont think that the typical Dallas way, it just shows defective thought in one person. Dallas is to large and diverse to have a "typical" way.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:37 PM

6,691 posts, read 9,937,987 times
If you think Houston is better than Dallas, its your opinion and you are entitled to it. Just state your opinion and leave it alone, DO NOT try to bash the city (I HATE THAT) That's why I do not care when people say mean and hateful things about Dallas. If I love living in Dallas, that's all that matters. I do not need anyone to say Dallas sucks and its only growing because its next to Fort Worth, etc. (That's Annoying) I dislike Houston, but I am not going to bash Houston for no reason (No offence) You have to learn not to care what people say, because people are going to keep talking. You just have to ignore it. Niffy, you cannot talk about Houston if you have no clue about the city. You can read how many articles you want but, you still will not have a complete idea of the city until you visit. In my opinion, neither city is better than the other, because someone is always going to have their opinion. Someone might like Houston and the other might hate Dallas. Both cities need to work on light rail. Yes, Dallas has the largest light rail system in the USA. But the ridership is VERY low. Dallas needs to work on Downtown and the vacancy, Elm Place for example. Hopefully, these new projects will help revive Downtown. I think Dallasites wish Dallas was the largest city in the state (I might be wrong) We have the largest metro and some people think that we should also have the largest city. (It will never happen) Ok, I'm done. I hope I covered everything.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Yes, Dallas has the largest light rail system in the USA
I was following your post but this statement threw me.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:13 PM

6,691 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I was following your post but this statement threw me.
I was saying we have a large light rail system, but the ridership is low.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:24 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,235 times
Dallas builds:
- planned lowrise/midrise developments
- rail systems
- large inner city parks

Advantage Dallas' planning has over Houston: makes Houston look like total chaos.

Houston builds:
- skyscrapers
- mega freeways
- stadiums

Advantage Houston's laxed zoning has over Dallas: the urban fabric looks more genuine and organic.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:19 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Dallas builds:
- planned lowrise/midrise developments
- rail systems
- large inner city parks

Advantage Dallas' planning has over Houston: makes Houston look like total chaos.

Houston builds:
- skyscrapers
- mega freeways
- stadiums

Advantage Houston's laxed zoning has over Dallas: the urban fabric looks more genuine and organic.
Houston builds inner city parks & light rail systems too. Metro's ridership is a lot higher than DART's anyways. Metro's rail cars also look a lot more modern/sleek than DART's plain jane fugly yellow cars.

As for inner city parks...Discovery Green, Hermann Park, & Memorial Park all immediately come to mind.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-23-2010 at 11:30 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 11:29 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Look, I'm not trying to make an argument as to why Dallas is the major city in Texas. This has always seemed to be the case and is even becoming more so now. I'm trying to explain how this is so. While spontaneous, unzoned Houston has managed few advantages for itself, Dallas has controlled its own destiny. As a result, Houston today looks primitive and old in comparison. Going to build another massive, one hundred lane wide freeway? So what! Going to build another 80 story tall building? Big deal!
Wake up gramps!

In comparison, Dallas has trains all over the place going every which-a-ways all connecting to modern transit oriented developments, with these being the widest in the world I might add!
You lost me here.

Houston's tallest building, Chase Tower is 75 stories tall.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:34 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,941 times
Quote:
Metro's ridership is a lot higher than DART's anyways.
Are you really going to try to compare Houston's one small line of rail to DART's megasystem that sprawls throughout two counties, and possibly four in the future? Yes, Houston's ridership per mile is higher. That's not difficult to do when your only line extends through the densest part of your city's core. Call me when Metro is serviceable to anyone outside of downtown Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas