U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-24-2010, 10:25 AM

913 posts, read 1,004,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I have never heard of Stonebrair becoming a "commercial District". The mall only have been open for 10 years.
Yet, the area already has more retail than any other place in the southwest. Let me see if I can find the article done on it by the Dallas Morning News and I will post if for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Huh? I meant the rail sprawls. Not sure what you are possibly talking about.
The rail connects business districts, medical centers, commercial shopping districts, art districts, a university district (Denton), market districts, entertainment districts, and airports.
Whew!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:42 AM

8,887 posts, read 8,177,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
The rail connects business districts, medical centers, commercial shopping districts, art districts, a university district (Denton), market districts, entertainment districts, and airports.
Whew!
Houston's current rail connects almost all of that alone, and use to connect to a theme park. The next rail expansion in Houston will connect rail to all of those areas you named that Dallas' rail connects to. You need to stop acting like DFW is so far ahead. It may be ahead as far as rail transit (while Houston is ahead in bus/HOV/freeways), but overall both places are about the same.

Quote:
Yet, the area already has more retail than any other place in the southwest. Let me see if I can find the article done on it by the Dallas Morning News and I will post if for you.
And again, you can thank zoning for that. Pretty much all of Frisco's retail was put into one place. So much so that they cancelled a planned mall on the northern side of Frisco, and the Villages of Fairview/Allen were built along 75.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Houston's current rail connects almost all of that alone, and use to connect to a theme park. The next rail expansion in Houston will connect rail to all of those areas you named that Dallas' rail connects to. You need to stop acting like DFW is so far ahead. It may be ahead as far as rail transit (while Houston is ahead in bus/HOV/freeways), but overall both places are about the same.

And again, you can thank zoning for that. Pretty much all of Frisco's retail was put into one place. So much so that they cancelled a planned mall on the northern side of Frisco, and the Villages of Fairview/Allen were built along 75.
If everything were the same, then there would be no need for comparing and contrasting.
For example, Houston has the port of Houston and Dallas does not have one.
Similarly, Dallas has Love Field and Lemmon Avenue and Houston has nothing like that.
Dallas also has a phenomenon that Houston doesn't with its Commercial Shopping Districts. This phenomenon is a result of many factors coming together:
1) Dallas - Fort Worth is the primary distribution hub of the south.
2) Dallas - Fort Worth is the retail and wholesale capital of the southwest.
3) The Dallas area has a super corridor made up of the "Platinum" business and the "Golden" retail corridors of Dallas Parkway and Preston Road respectively. The mall on the northern side of Frisco would have been between or to the side of this Super Corridor.

Houston does not have anything like this super corridor.

As corridors go, no other in Texas has the length and width of Dallas's *Super Corridor.

To address your first response, the greater distances between the districts in Dallas - Fort Worth frees up more land for transit oriented developments. The rail plan in Houston does not free up land at all. In fact, the Bohemian neighborhoods Metro is building through are going to be fighting tooth and nail against change.

*I just made up this term -- 12/24/2010.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 12-24-2010 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 12-24-2010, 11:33 AM

5,439 posts, read 2,404,056 times
Quote:
Whew!
Yet it has the lowest ridership/mile of any large metro.

Quote:
If everything were the same, then there would be no need for comparing and contrasting.
For example, Houston has the port of Houston and Dallas does not have one.
Similarly, Dallas has Love Field and Lemmon Avenue and Houston has nothing like that.
Dallas also has a phenomenon that Houston doesn't with its Commercial Shopping Districts. This phenomenon is a result of many factors coming together:
1) Dallas - Fort Worth is the primary distribution hub of the south.
2) Dallas - Fort Worth is the retail and wholesale capital of the southwest.
3) The Dallas area has a super corridor made up of the "Platinum" business and the "Golden" retail corridors of Dallas Parkway and Preston Road respectively. The mall on the northern side of Frisco would have been between or to the side of this Super Corridor.

Houston does not have anything like this super corridor.

As corridors go, no other in Texas has the length and width of Dallas's *Super Corridor.

To address your first response, the greater distances between the districts in Dallas - Fort Worth frees up more land for transit oriented developments. The rail plan in Houston does not free up land at all. In fact, the Bohemian neighborhoods Metro is building through are going to be fighting tooth and nail against change.

*I just made up this term -- 12/24/2010.
What's your fixation on corridors? Houston didn't develop as corridors like DFW did, instead it has clustered it's major employment districts. I'm not sure why you think corridors are the best thing since slice bread. These corridors don't make DFW any better or worse, it's just how it developed. So why do you keep going on and on about corridors?

I'm not sure how the Houston rail doesn't "free up land", Houston's LRT is urban so it is looking to improve density, not create like much of DART.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Yet it has the lowest ridership/mile of any large metro.

What's your fixation on corridors? Houston didn't develop as corridors like DFW did, instead it has clustered it's major employment districts. I'm not sure why you think corridors are the best thing since slice bread. These corridors don't make DFW any better or worse, it's just how it developed. So why do you keep going on and on about corridors?

I'm not sure how the Houston rail doesn't "free up land", Houston's LRT is urban so it is looking to improve density, not create like much of DART.
But Houston has Bohemian neighborhoods. These are neighborhoods of million dollar homes mixed with middle and lower income families. In essence, these people aren't going to balk at development, just development close to their own homes.

The Platinum Business Corridor of Dallas Parkway runs parallel to the Golden Retail Corridor of Preston Road. This "Super Corridor" is unlike any other business district and corridor in Texas. Don't take my word for it. Just look at a google map. It is as plain as the nose on your face.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 12-24-2010 at 12:04 PM..

Old 12-24-2010, 12:52 PM

5,439 posts, read 2,404,056 times
Quote:
The Platinum Business Corridor of Dallas Parkway runs parallel to the Golden Retail Corridor of Preston Road. This "Super Corridor" is unlike any other business district and corridor in Texas. Don't take my word for it. Just look at a google map. It is as plain as the nose on your face.
Again, what's your point with these corridors? What benefits do they offer over clustered employment centers like Westchase or TMC?

Old 12-24-2010, 12:57 PM

8,887 posts, read 8,177,817 times
Not sure how Preston Road is any different than Westheimer in Houston. Driven on both, and they are the same, except Westheimer is wider. Both are busy. Houston has it's own "Super Corridor". Bordered on the north and south by the I-10 and Westheimer. Includes places like Uptown/Galleria, Memorial City Mall area, CityCentre, West Oaks Mall, and employment centers like Westchase and the Energy Corridor. Nifty again showing he has little knowledge of Houston.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:41 PM

3,580 posts, read 4,102,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post

Fort Worth and Tarrant County is in desperate need of an expansion of I35 both directions and the expansion of 820. We still have no form of commuter rail in Fort Worth. If we are talking strictly metro than "yes" its about even. City limits the edge goes to Dallas. Ive completely turned on my hometown after they voted the street car down. I will be voting aganist Mayor Moncrief in the next election.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:11 PM

10,046 posts, read 10,263,753 times
Quote:
But Houston has Bohemian neighborhoods. These are neighborhoods of million dollar homes mixed with middle and lower income families. In essence, these people aren't going to balk at development, just development close to their own homes.
Never been to the area around Swiss Ave. in Dallas I gather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas