Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:54 PM

346 posts, read 498,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
What is wrong with you people blasting the OP b/c he doesn't want to live in a child-centered environment?? I am a mother and a grandmother and I fully support anyone who decides the parent trap is not for him/her. I also fully support anyone who (stealing from another poster's great word) is brave enough to raise kids and chooses to ride the penduleum between magic & joy to total hell. This poster is going down a different path and doing all society a favor by not having or living among kids. Now that my own kids are adults, I have embrased my inner "curmudgeon" and regularly leave restaurants and theatres when I observe parents with children who are not under control. When we dine out, I always ask to be seated away from smokers & children. I would go into any raging fire pit to save my grandchild but taking her anywhere not tailored for a kid is less pleasant than cleaning the toilet much of the times. It surprises me that my son and stepkids have all had children; whenever someone asks my son when he's going to have another kid I say "shut up!!!!"
So well said! I think I love you! I was thinking the same thing when reading this thread.

The OP wanting to live away from a child-centered environment / not wanting to have kids herself doesn't make her a "kid hater". I'll also go out on a limb and guess she wasn't looking for a lecture on the magical joys of parenthood she is missing out on, being pitied, called "lonely", being told "you'll change your mind," etc. This isn't a childfree vs. parent debate, or a conservative vs. liberal debate either. Most people I've met with or without kids can understand not wanting to be around noisy children.

Last edited by catnip8056; 07-12-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM

346 posts, read 498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmorgan7 View Post
I don't think anyone has the right to judge how anyone experiences love; a dog or a cat or a child. From my experience, my family and most people I know will ********* over before your pet will. I'm just sayin'! I choose not to have children because I'm not particularly fond of them and I want to travel the world with my husband. The love of a child sounds wonderful, but I prefer my cats. I've never heard of a cat having teen pregnancy and driving drunk, all those unpredictable things that can happen in life. You can call that a lame excuse, that's ok, but I feel like life is unpredictable enough without adding kids to the mix. I'm a bit of a control freak, and I know I would go insane with a child because there is no way to have total control. There's nothing wrong with us not having kids, it's just a life choice. There are selfish reasons for having kids as well as not having them, so there's no need for any self righteousness on either side of that playing field.

Having said that, my husband and I are child free and living in Uptown.
Agree, crmorgan. Perhaps love for a child is more important to this particular poster you responded to. That's fine. But this poster does not speak for everyone and know what is best for everyone and their post ticked me off too. There is no need to knock those of us who love and cherish our pets- or prefer having pets over kids. So what? Nothing "sad" about it. To each their own.

OP, all the best advice about the original point of your topic has already been said. Areas with not-so-desirable schools, and apartment complexes without playgrounds or kid-friendly amentities. Be sure to take a good look around at the complex on an average day to get a good idea of how many young families are around / how noisy it is. My sister in law and brother live next to a family with 3 children, but they are extremely respectful, quiet and well-behaved. It's hard to get a perfect picture of what kind of neighbors you'll have in any case. I'd have just as much of an issue if I lived next door to adults who were loud and partied all night. Good luck.

Last edited by catnip8056; 07-12-2011 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 07:09 AM

621 posts, read 1,332,699 times
I've never heard of anyone pushing their kids on anyone? I lived in Corinth for 7 years, kids everywhere and I am single with no kids................It was great there, kids never disturbed me, they actually helped me out several times.....
I miss that area a lot honestly............

Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
If a community has the right to restrict children, what else will it restrict?
Sounds Fascist to me

Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 PM

247 posts, read 567,487 times
"Miss Career Girl"...ohhhh...you are a GAL. For some reason, after reading like 200 of your posts I thought you were a GUY!

Please don't be offended or anything; I don't know why I assumed that, seriously.

You have literally gone from http://www.kindofcreepy.com/wp-conte...7296111596.jpg in my brain to http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0...ters_super.jpg - wow.

Off topic - sorry! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
At 25, I was "Miss Career Girl" living in NYC....never, ever wanting kids and not understanding how my college friends were so wrapped up in their babies.

Now I'm in my early 30's, dating the guy I will spend the rest of my life with, and I can't wait to have kids someday. I still want my career, but now that I'm past the "paying your dues" phase of my career, I can see how I can keep my career and have kids, too. I now say my prayers every night that we'll actually be able to have kids- healthy kids- because so many girls my age have serious fertlity problems....and we're not even close to 35 (high-risk).

All I'm saying is don't be surprised if your thoughts on the matter change. They may not, but they may. My 25 year-old self would not recognize my 30-something self....but I'm happier now than I was back then!

To OP- you got some good rec's as to where to live. Just don't be shocked when your 20-something, still in fraternity mode, neighbors wake you up at 4am arguing about who won at beer pong or bawling their eyes out because their hook-up never called them back. They're not the 3-foot-tall kind of kids, but they're pretty damn immature sometimes.

No

Old 07-14-2011, 02:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Sounds Fascist to me

Are you not familiar with +55 developments where seniors own property and normally the rules prohibit ANY full time resident under the age required-- except spouse and maybe a dependent child who might even be adult--full time

Grandchildren can come visit -- usually for specified length of times--and they are not fooling around...
I have read of communities like that where if the older/qualifying spouse died--and the surviving spouse was under the age requirement--the Board enforced the rules and had the spouse forced out of the subdivision---which really requires selling the house/condo as well--
financially usually not a good move--but it has happened--depends on the rules for the subdivison--and people SHOULD know going in what all the rules are

Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 AM

373 posts, read 635,164 times
Default What is Wrong with America and Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Sounds Fascist to me
ALot of problems come out of people hating children. It is a real root cause of many other issues.

The facists will have to recruit ROFLOL

Old 07-14-2011, 12:08 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Just because one has no desire to live around the shrieking little beasts does not mean one hates children.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:33 PM

51 posts, read 105,023 times
My husband and I have raised our kids and I must say our "kid tolerance" has gone down since our kids are grown. I like kids in general, and love my own, but really don't enjoy listening to kids squeal and scream, especially when in a swimming pool. Our neighbors have pools and the squealing usually starts at about 8 AM and sometimes doesn't end until 10 or 11 at night. I hate to complain about kids since they are just having fun, but it is a little irritating to have to listen to, especially when you can hear them INSIDE your house. I would think the parents could get them to keep the noise level down a bit, especially first thing in the morning. But kids these days are raised to believe they are the center of the universe and virtues like being considerate of others don't seem to be taught anymore. Other than that, they really don't bother me, and I enjoy talking to them - that is the ones that haven't been freaked out to the point they won't even say hello to an adult!! I hate that when people act like you are trying to steal their child when you just are being friendly and treating them like humans. Like I, after spending 30 yrs raising my own kids, would want to steal your little darling??!! LOL Get real!!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:58 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX>NM View Post
My husband and I have raised our kids and I must say our "kid tolerance" has gone down since our kids are grown. I like kids in general, and love my own, but really don't enjoy listening to kids squeal and scream, especially when in a swimming pool. Our neighbors have pools and the squealing usually starts at about 8 AM and sometimes doesn't end until 10 or 11 at night. I hate to complain about kids since they are just having fun, but it is a little irritating to have to listen to, especially when you can hear them INSIDE your house. I would think the parents could get them to keep the noise level down a bit, especially first thing in the morning. But kids these days are raised to believe they are the center of the universe and virtues like being considerate of others don't seem to be taught anymore. Other than that, they really don't bother me, and I enjoy talking to them - that is the ones that haven't been freaked out to the point they won't even say hello to an adult!! I hate that when people act like you are trying to steal their child when you just are being friendly and treating them like humans. Like I, after spending 30 yrs raising my own kids, would want to steal your little darling??!! LOL Get real!!
Interesting, our sons are grown and "mostly" gone from our home. We now have grand children and though I love them dearly, my tolerance level has lowered considerably and for other people's children, it's pretty much non-existent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas