Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 08:14 PM

96 posts, read 225,801 times

Advertisements

A couple down the street we found out breeds pit bulls. One of their dogs wandered through our yard tonight. It went back down the street without causing a problem but I was concerned as they are obviously not wanted in this neighborhood. Can they legally be off of a leash in Dallas County? I plan on talking to them to let them know not to allow it to happen again. A neighbor down the street told me about them but this was the first time I've ever seen one of their dogs. Please, advice appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 09:09 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
First of all, laws such as this are municipal not county. You need to check with your city to see what their ordinance is. Specifically, you are looking at two separate issues - leash law, and dangerous dog ordinances.

Cities in Texas cannot outlaw specific breeds. However there are some cities that require additional measures for pit bulls that they adopt out of their shelter.

Dangerous dog ordinances are for designating a specific dog for aggressive behavior. Being off leash and returning home with no incident would not qualify.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
As Murphy stated, the laws for pets are done by each individual city and not the county. That being said, just about every single city around here has a leash law that even includes cats. A dog or cat can not be allowed to freely roam any neighborhood without a leash. This includes pitbulls. If it is a common occurance that these owners are allowing their pets to roam free then by all means call your local animal control pronto and tell them. They will probably gladly come out and speak to the owners and tell them that their dogs are not allowed to roam free. If the dog(s) are getting out of their yard they may not be up to code on their fence if the city you are in has laws governing fences w/ certain breeds. I know the city I live in does have new codes and laws that govern the fences required for including how tall it must be for those that own certain breeds and this includes pitbulls.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Pitbulls are not dangerous dogs in and of themselves. They have a bad rep from the people who abuse them and train them to fight. Any dog can be made dangerous. That being said, you have the right to not have loose dogs wandering around the neighborhood. Talk to them w/o mentioning how "dangerous" or afraid of their dogs you are, as this will only turn them against you. Just remind them that dogs can't be out alone, off leash, and ask what they are doing to fix the fence.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:25 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Pitbulls are not dangerous dogs in and of themselves. They have a bad rep from the people who abuse them and train them to fight. Any dog can be made dangerous. That being said, you have the right to not have loose dogs wandering around the neighborhood. Talk to them w/o mentioning how "dangerous" or afraid of their dogs you are, as this will only turn them against you. Just remind them that dogs can't be out alone, off leash, and ask what they are doing to fix the fence.

I agree with this for the most part, owners are generally to blame, too bad they don't turn on them more often instead of innocent people or pets. However, breeding stock has alot to do with a pit bulls tendencies too..It's alot easier to make a pitbull do what they are bred to do for hundreds of years..I think they are a beautiful breed, smart too. But unfortunately, too many people have abused the right to own them in my opinion. Owning a pit bull has become the dog equivalent to owning a monkey, good chance at some point it will rip someones face off if you don't raise it right.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I agree

Old 12-28-2010, 12:38 PM

96 posts, read 225,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I agree with this for the most part, owners are generally to blame, too bad they don't turn on them more often instead of innocent people or pets. However, breeding stock has alot to do with a pit bulls tendencies too..It's alot easier to make a pitbull do what they are bred to do for hundreds of years..I think they are a beautiful breed, smart too. But unfortunately, too many people have abused the right to own them in my opinion. Owning a pit bull has become the dog equivalent to owning a monkey, good chance at some point it will rip someones face off if you don't raise it right.
I agree.

To the other replys...We live in Dallas. In my opinion, the Pit breed should be kept out of highly populated areas/neighborhoods, as their reputation certainly precedes them. Nice or not, I don't see the reward of getting to know one, or a few, just to prove that there are a few non-violent Pits out there. For some reason, unfair to the Pit Bull I'll admit, because of their upbringing, the breed is viewed as violent, questionable, unreliable, and volatile. Also, why are they always owned by a certain type of person? Take that as you wish, but I know many of you will agree.

Thanks for the opinions.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:55 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernHomeNow View Post
I agree.

To the other replys...We live in Dallas. In my opinion, the Pit breed should be kept out of highly populated areas/neighborhoods, as their reputation certainly precedes them. Nice or not, I don't see the reward of getting to know one, or a few, just to prove that there are a few non-violent Pits out there. For some reason, unfair to the Pit Bull I'll admit, because of their upbringing, the breed is viewed as violent, questionable, unreliable, and volatile. Also, why are they always owned by a certain type of person? Take that as you wish, but I know many of you will agree.

Thanks for the opinions.
I bet a lot of people will disagree with your views on Pitties. Go to the dog forum, you'll get an earful of how wonderful these dogs are, and they have a bad rap because of people who are backyard breeders or breed/buy them for fighting only.

These dogs are the nicest, most sensitive dogs I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. They are amazing family dogs, and even better with children. Sad to say 9 times out of 10 in order to get that type of Pittie you have to buy one from a reputable breeder and start training them at a young age. On the other hand, there are rescues who rehabilitate these dogs and they are just simply amazing.

It is the owner who has the problem in handling their dog. Any type of dog could act as everyone thinks Pit Bulls do. My 30lb pug mix could be out of control, barking non stop, lunging, scaring people, not because of his breed, but because of the owner!

I think you should go volunteer at a shelter or a rescue who has Pitties and see how amazing these dogs really are. You should do some research before you pass judgment.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:20 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
American Pit Bull Terriers are not bred to be people-aggressive. They will be aggressive to other dogs if they don't like them. Mine is a rescue and loves all the dogs, cats, and people he has ever come in contact with. But back to topic, please. On the Dog forum, we do not allow breed-bashing, which is what this might turn into.

Back to the OP's question, please.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:33 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
I'm sure the OP would still be concerned if the owner down the street were breeding yellow labs that were roaming her yard at night. It's annoying either way. It's certainly not as scary.

Moderator cut: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: