Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times

Advertisements

no offense to metro matt, but i'm not sure what point he is trying to make. i mean, it's already pretty much been solidified that dallas is considered one of the important american fashion cities, and despite what houston may have, it isn't on that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 09:41 AM

912 posts, read 1,887,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Read up on your Texas History son.

Fashionable goods in Texas came by way of Galveston long before Dallas was even a city.
Actually, Metro Matt is right. Before the hurricane, the city of Galveston was the richest city in Texas and the second wealthiest in the nation. After the city's destruction, its port business moved to Houston and its high fashion moved to Dallas.
The rest is history.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 12-31-2010 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 12-31-2010, 09:47 AM

Default Dallas has out done itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
no offense to metro matt, but i'm not sure what point he is trying to make. i mean, it's already pretty much been solidified that dallas is considered one of the important american fashion cities, and despite what houston may have, it isn't on that list.
There are other things happening at the Dallas Market Center outside of fashion apparel. This is what holds back Chicago and the Dallas-Fort Worth areas from ever being designated number one in fashion. Because the less diverse metropolitan areas like Detroit (automobile industry), Houston (enegry industry), and Seattle (aerospace industry) are number one in an industry, they aren't going to be number two, three, four, and five in multiple industries like Chicago and the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 12-31-2010 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
All I said was Houston had the original & still the biggest/best Galleria which is a fact.

I also went on to say I respected Northpark & Neiman's is commonly referenced as "Needless Markup".
As Northpark went through a very painful revisioning process during the reconstruction of Central Expressay, the Dallas Galleria and the huge commercial shopping district surrounding it will likewise will go through a painful revisioning process during the reconstruction of the LBJ freeway. I have no doubt that after the completion of the reconstruction that it will succeed just as Northpark has done so.
After all, it is located along the Super Corridor between Dallas Parkway and Preston Road.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:36 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Actually, Metro Matt is right. Before the hurricane, the city of Galveston was the richest city in Texas and the second wealthiest in the nation. After the city's destruction, its port business moved to Houston and its high fashion moved to Dallas.
The rest is history.
Nobody's arguing that Nifty. Matt dragged Galveston into this in a futile attempt to bolster Houston, 50 miles (and a hundred years) to the north. He might as well have dragged in the China silk trade routes.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times
Quote:
There are other things happening at the Dallas Market Center outside of fashion apparel. This is what holds back Chicago and the Dallas-Fort Worth areas from ever being designated number one in fashion. Because the less diverse metropolitan areas like Detroit (automobile industry), Houston (enegry industry), and Seattle (aerospace industry) are number one in an industry, they aren't going to be number two, three, four, and five in multiple industries like Chicago and the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

New York, fashion in U.S., by all accounts shouldn't be. How to explain the strength of Los Angeles in aerospace?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post

New York, fashion in U.S., by all accounts shouldn't be. How to explain the strength of Los Angeles in aerospace?
Dallas was once huge in fashion because it was ground zero for the cotton exchange and had its own garment industry as did New York City.
They didn't just sell upscale, but they set the scale.
Los Angeles is big in aerospace because of many factors but mainly because of Howard Hughs?
I have heard that more aircraft have been built in the Dallas-Fort Worth area than any other place on earth.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:09 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Dallas was once huge in fashion because it was ground zero for the cotton exchange and had its own garment industry as did New York City.
They didn't just sell upscale, but they set the scale.
Los Angeles is big in aerospace because of many factors but mainly because of Howard Hughs?
I have heard that more aircraft have been built in the Dallas-Fort Worth area than any other place on earth.
You'd be wrong. Might want to go look that one up again.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
You'd be wrong. Might want to go look that one up again.
Bell Helicopter, Vought, and Lockheed.
Bell Helicopter - Home
Vought - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lockheed Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please, tell me, how is it not a good argument that more aircraft have been built in the Dallas-Fort Worth area than any other place on earth? Lots of airplanes were built during World War 2, lots were built during the cold war, and lots are being built now. I should have said "assembled."
Nevertheless, the area has a major aerospace industry.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:51 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
^ Also, Air Force Plant 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas