Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 02:33 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
Hot? Really? Hot? Yeah in July and August. I swear some Texans whine so much about the heat and act as if Texas is the only spot on Earth that experiences heat. I almost let that scare me from making the move from California. Came here anyway and Alas!, another Texas Tall Tale. Heat sucks anywhere and this North Texas heat is totally tolerable. I have lived here for six years and I say the heat is not THAT bad.
For me the heat is intolerable. You can't do anything outside between June and September because it's too f&*king hot. It "cools off" into the low 80s and gets humid and sticky.

We've been here 12 years and have seen the 110+ temps and the 3 weeks of almost straight 100+ temps. It blows.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:53 AM

443 posts, read 1,566,409 times
You know, I can't say I didn't have the same thoughts for a while to a certain extent. It is true that there is not great natural beauty in the area, but as was mentioned earlier how much time to you have to enjoy that in daily life. Dallas is a great place to live not necessarily to visit. A year isn't really long enough to figure out what is great and what isn't about Dallas, you're still a tourist at this point.

I know plenty of sophisticated urban types who may make money but aren't necessarily living for it. By and large, you are right, it is a great place for jobs. It's a fairly new region that is making lots of strides in building all of those trails you speak of and musuems. It may stun you to realize that we are on the top ten list of several top arts cities lists. By the way uptown is trendy, but the soul of city lies more in neighborhoods like Lakewood, M streets or Kessler Park.

But none of that matters to you I believe, you're taking the small subset of people you know and brushing with a broad brush. You can't do that to a metro of 6 million people. It's up to you whether you like a place or not, Dallas isn't for everyone. But that doesn't make all of us who like it souless, shallow money grubbing types. If we want to have our soul revitalized by nature we drive to arkansas, the hill country, or fly a cheap flight anywhere for a getaway. Then we come back to a great place to live, that is beautiful in it's own right. There's a certain charm to the plains that you have to be inclined to want to appreciate. By the way, there are lots of trees in Dallas, you haven't driven around enough.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallassucks View Post
LOL, Millions of people moved here for jobs, cause nothing else is here but that. I do plan on moving on allowing the Dallas Dbags (present company included) continue to compete for who has the Largest "small" pecker.

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. My guess is they got fired from their job, something made them bitter, now blaming ALLLL of Dallas. I mean who hates a place, goes and finds a forum dedicated to that place, signs up and then posts this, and continually responds to it..I mean if you hate a place, you move on and leave, you don't start arguing with a bunch of people you don't know who like the area. Peckahead.

Good riddance..

Old 12-29-2010, 06:38 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. My guess is they got fired from their job, something made them bitter, now blaming ALLLL of Dallas. I mean who hates a place, goes and finds a forum dedicated to that place, signs up and then posts this, and continually responds to it..I mean if you hate a place, you move on and leave, you don't start arguing with a bunch of people you don't know who like the area. Peckahead.

Good riddance..
Easy answer: a troll. The moderators should see this and simply close this thread. It offers the community nothing.

Brian

Old 12-29-2010, 07:05 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
Traffic: Yes it sucks. But I leave for work at 6:30am so I beat the traffic

Infrastructure: I dont care abotu it because I have never used public transportation

Arts: I dont care about museums and stuff like that.

Parks: They got some OK ones in the burbs. But if I want natural beauty I drive out to the Brazos river below Possum kingdom or up to Broken Bow Oklahoma or down to the devils river and I go kayak fishing. I also like to go to ATV parks and ride my four wheeler. Some of those parks have some great scenery.

And with the money you save by living here you can take more vacations to where ever you want to go and you can see whatever you want to see. Dallas isnt my favorite place in the world but it Ok and Im happy here.

Last edited by DaveG99; 12-29-2010 at 08:01 AM..

Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 AM

554 posts, read 1,196,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
You know, I can't say I didn't have the same thoughts for a while to a certain extent. It is true that there is not great natural beauty in the area, but as was mentioned earlier how much time to you have to enjoy that in daily life. Dallas is a great place to live not necessarily to visit. A year isn't really long enough to figure out what is great and what isn't about Dallas, you're still a tourist at this point.

I know plenty of sophisticated urban types who may make money but aren't necessarily living for it. By and large, you are right, it is a great place for jobs. It's a fairly new region that is making lots of strides in building all of those trails you speak of and musuems. It may stun you to realize that we are on the top ten list of several top arts cities lists. By the way uptown is trendy, but the soul of city lies more in neighborhoods like Lakewood, M streets or Kessler Park.

But none of that matters to you I believe, you're taking the small subset of people you know and brushing with a broad brush. You can't do that to a metro of 6 million people. It's up to you whether you like a place or not, Dallas isn't for everyone. But that doesn't make all of us who like it souless, shallow money grubbing types. If we want to have our soul revitalized by nature we drive to arkansas, the hill country, or fly a cheap flight anywhere for a getaway. Then we come back to a great place to live, that is beautiful in it's own right. There's a certain charm to the plains that you have to be inclined to want to appreciate. By the way, there are lots of trees in Dallas, you haven't driven around enough.
BRAVO! 100% in agreement with you on all points! Trees are abundant in Dallas. I noticed that when I first drove into the Metroplex from California. Like you, I do appreciate the centralization we enjoy within the United Sates. You can fly anywhere relatively fast and CHEAP. Really, for me personally, if you put me in any greater metropolitan area with a population over 2 Million, I will be happy. Take Phoenix, right in the middle of the desert and hot as hell for months on end, but I love that place! As I mentioned earlier, I move to a city for the amenities.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Good riddance..
Yup...you make a valid observationclassic case of...troll on the loose.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Easy answer: a troll. The moderators should see this and simply close this thread. It offers the community nothing.

Brian
I increase your reputation and second the motion.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 AM

247 posts, read 567,487 times
Exactly. Dallassucks is obviously just a washed up loser, and he is getting on this message board to try & cause some trouble! LOL!!!

Quote:

Good riddance..

Old 12-29-2010, 11:09 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
Dallas, and more specifically D/FW as a whole entity, has a lot to offer. Millions of people like the area.

If you don't like it - just leave and stop whining like a little baby.

And don't let the door hit you on the way out.

No, millions of people like cheap houses and low taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas