Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 PM

35 posts, read 60,943 times

Advertisements

Of course Artsy loves Dallas but have you told your new friend about all the Dallas negatives; Like high crime, awful traffic, no culture and boring scenery. The only thing to do is shop eat and drink. The nightlife is bad too. No decent nightclubs just bars, crappy rap clubs and the occasional pub. The public transport is a joke. The job market is fairly good in both Cities.

I would check both places out before deciding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,809,751 times
There is actually very low crime in the main attraction areas of Dallas. The suburbs have even less crime.

The traffic is dangerous on the highways because it is overcrowded and people speed. So avoid those highways.

The culture in Dallas is multicultural, artsy, and corporate. You will have to attend the festivities in Addison, Texas to experience the fun e.g., Shakespeare in the park, Woldfest, Oktoberfest, Summer Salsa, etc.

I don't know too much about the dance clubs. But I know the heterosexual Hispanic people have an enormous club called Escapade. The gays have three huge dance clubs called S4, Sue Ellens, and TMC. The strip joints are called LaBare and Tin Room. I know there are dance clubs for straight people but I am not familiar with any of them except for the Lizard Lounge; which is more of a techno and retro place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myleftfoot View Post
Of course Artsy loves Dallas but have you told your new friend about all the Dallas negatives; Like high crime, awful traffic, no culture and boring scenery. The only thing to do is shop eat and drink. The nightlife is bad too. No decent nightclubs just bars, crappy rap clubs and the occasional pub. The public transport is a joke. The job market is fairly good in both Cities.

I would check both places out before deciding

Old 01-02-2011, 11:55 PM

228 posts, read 534,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Austin is extremely limited and antiquated. It only has the longhorns, UT Austin, The State Capitol, 6000 bars, and the hill country as main points of interest: none of which I find interesting or pleasant.

Dallas, on the other hand, has hill country, high quality arts districts, a modern World Aquarium and Zoo, modern shopping, a modern skyline, and a variety of sub-cultures. UT Dallas is an easy access university that has catered to modernity and innovation; while little can be said for UT Austin: it has stagnated and been left behind by younger and fresher universities. SMU is another fine Dallas university that upholds one of the greatest art museums of our time; The Meadows Museum: it features astounding Spanish art.

It's clear as day that Dallas is not only far superior to any Texas city; but that it leaves antiquated Austin in the dust.
Dallas is about the most geographically boring city in the country. Why do you think one of the suburbs is named "Plano?"

I'd gladly concede that Dallas has a far better zoo than Austin, which has a complete joke of one. Shopping in Dallas is of course better--that has already been established--but is to be expected given the size difference. Austin has very good shopping for a city its size, though.

UT Austin is superior in virtually every way to any university in Dallas--your vague references to "innovation" and "modernity" are absolutely meaningless. UT Austin has much higher-ranked programs, a higher quality student body, more selective admissions, and better networking/recruiting opportunities than SMU, UTD, or TCU. SMU is great for entering into the Dallas business world, but it does not have the national reputation that McCombs does. UT's Blanton Museum is a bigger and better museum than The Meadows, although I admit that the Meadows is very nice.

The only thing that's "clear as day" is that you are a Dallas apologist with absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
The hipsters of Austin are often pretentious posers; rarely do you see a musician or an artist who inspires you there. The liberal views in Austin are pretentious doublespeak or lip service. It's a fad to be liberal in Texas but few even know or understand what that means. Few if any people in Austin are "liberal." It's as conservative as any city in the south or south-west. People with tattoos, beards, and tight jeans can be found in any southern city: those looks are not indicative of cultural liberalism anyway. In Austin you have to look really hard to find anything interesting.
Your outrageous generalizations are clearly predicated on probably one or two limited experiences and reflect your childish perspective. Voting histories and local environmental movements strongly suggest that liberalism in Austin goes beyond mere "lip service." Austin is not as liberal as some might make it out to be, but it is absolutely more liberal than Dallas.

Quote:
It looks like little Frisco, Texas already beat Austin in the sculpture department. Texas Sculpture Garden is the hugest in Texas:
Yeah, a few links and you've got us all convinced that a cookie-cutter sprawling suburb that hardly existed 15 years ago and is completely devoid of any identity has a better art scene than a (comparatively much more diverse) city of 800,000 which, much to your chagrin, has a reputation for being "artsy" (that is at least somewhat deserved). Please. You're just embarassing yourself.

Quote:
It seemed to have a very bland, drunken, but communist feel to it; a lot of noticeable social stratification, too.
If any city in Texas is bland, it's Dallas, with its lack of geographical features and its manicured, master-planned suburbs that stretch for miles. Social stratification is the rule in both Dallas and Austin and practically any US city--are you really ignorant enough to believe such behavior is confined to Austin? The city of Dallas has a remarkable amount of racial segregation and clustering--see the map in the attached link (also, do yourself a favor and look at the clustering of high-income areas):

Mapping America — Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 01-03-2011, 01:45 AM

Plano is the blandest area of north Texas; it reminds me very much of Austin, Texas; aside from the overcrowded and over-hyped downtown, of course. Plano has nothing on the modernity of Addison, Richardson, Frisco, Southlake, and Grapevine. And Plano especially has nothing on the hill country and forests of Cedar Hill. If one wants geographical beauty all they need to do is live in Cedar Hill or they could also live near white rock lake: located on the far east side of Dallas.

The smart students do not go by university rankings anymore. We all know that most rankings are corporate propaganda. A degree is a degree; and people will choose what they see best for themselves and their money.

The Meadows Museum has legendary Spanish fine art (El Greco and Goya).

UT's Blanton has a lot of works but it doesn't mean it's the finest quality: the finest quality such as El Greco, Goya, Diego Velázquez, and Carreño can be found at The Meadows.

Austin's voting histories do not mean anything valid. Its reputation for being artsy is because of their public relations and advertising. It makes the city appear new and fresh from an outsider's point of view. Advertising entices people to visit a city despite truths.

I have not been notably affected by social stratification in north Texas; otherwise I'd be griping about it. I have heard blacks make some complaints though. And people have complained about Plano. North Texas is still Texas: Texas is known for backwater religiosity and backwoods business practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
Dallas is about the most geographically boring city in the country. Why do you think one of the suburbs is named "Plano?"

I'd gladly concede that Dallas has a far better zoo than Austin, which has a complete joke of one. Shopping in Dallas is of course better--that has already been established--but is to be expected given the size difference. Austin has very good shopping for a city its size, though.

UT Austin is superior in virtually every way to any university in Dallas--your vague references to "innovation" and "modernity" are absolutely meaningless. UT Austin has much higher-ranked programs, a higher quality student body, more selective admissions, and better networking/recruiting opportunities than SMU, UTD, or TCU. SMU is great for entering into the Dallas business world, but it does not have the national reputation that McCombs does. UT's Blanton Museum is a bigger and better museum than The Meadows, although I admit that the Meadows is very nice.

The only thing that's "clear as day" is that you are a Dallas apologist with absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Your outrageous generalizations are clearly predicated on probably one or two limited experiences and reflect your childish perspective. Voting histories and local environmental movements strongly suggest that liberalism in Austin goes beyond mere "lip service." Austin is not as liberal as some might make it out to be, but it is absolutely more liberal than Dallas.

Yeah, a few links and you've got us all convinced that a cookie-cutter sprawling suburb that hardly existed 15 years ago and is completely devoid of any identity has a better art scene than a (comparatively much more diverse) city of 800,000 which, much to your chagrin, has a reputation for being "artsy" (that is at least somewhat deserved). Please. You're just embarassing yourself.

If any city in Texas is bland, it's Dallas, with its lack of geographical features and its manicured, master-planned suburbs that stretch for miles. Social stratification is the rule in both Dallas and Austin and practically any US city--are you really ignorant enough to believe such behavior is confined to Austin? The city of Dallas has a remarkable amount of racial segregation and clustering--see the map in the attached link (also, do yourself a favor and look at the clustering of high-income areas):

Mapping America — Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Last edited by artsyguy; 01-03-2011 at 02:17 AM..

Old 01-03-2011, 02:05 AM

161 posts, read 384,088 times
Don't make the same mistake I did (in moving to Austin).

In living in Dallas before moving here for a job, there is no comparison -- Dallas wins in culture, amenities, diversity, and is a real big city. A place where you're embraced and can find your niche whatever your race, religion (or lack thereof), sexual orientation, career, or income.

In a word, Dallas is cosmopolitan. It rejects the parochialism that defines Austin and the rest of central/south Texas.

In living here for two years, the most apparent Austin demographic is as follows:

sheltered white 20-to-30 somethings, with no real goals in life, no careers, disillutionized, who call themselves "hipsters" because they grow their hair out and listen to the newest "oh-I'm-so-cool-because-you've-never-heard-of-it" band.

Yes, these are the same people who's entire wardrobe consists of flannel shirts and tight jeans with several tattoos and piercings who you see out at some live venue every other night.

Likely to define themselves as "liberal", but only when said term falls within their definition. It's clear this demographic doesn't really understand liberalism at all.

Of course, what I wrote above was a mass generalization, and not everyone in Austin is like this, but enough are, and they get on my nerves.

Furthermore, Austin collectively thinks of itself as a big deal when really it has nothing to brag about -- a ill-equipped city infrastructure, horrible public transit, NO culture, no pro sports teams, and a very unremarkable downtown.

Austin reminds me of like that scene from "Sixth Sense"....."Ya'll are dead, you just don't know it".

Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,522,726 times
Most things said about Dallas or Austin on the past two pages are exaggerated, especially from Artsyguy and the Austin people.

FWIW, UT Austin is the best public school in the state. It's not even debatable. Rice is the only better learning institution in Texas, and that's private, expensive, and in Houston.

I much prefer Dallas because I like the amenities of a bigger city, and I like the culture and people here. Austin is at a crossroads between being a big city and a college town. I feel like Austin tries so hard to hang on to their past that they don't have the amenities and infrastructure to support the almost 1,000,000 that live there now. Both are fun cities though and I could live in either.

Austin is geographically prettier. Yes, there are actually parts of DFW that are naturally scenic. The hills of Southwest Dallas/Cedar Park rival Austin, but that is such a small part of Dallas and it's far out from where most people in Dallas actually live. 90% of Dallas does not look like that. But while Austin is naturally prettier, Dallas looks nicer on a street level in my opinion. Much nicer and more diverse neighborhoods, a much cleaner downtown with a better looking skyline. Dallas also has a much more diverse population. You can't define Dallas by one group culture as easily as you can Austin. I've lived both places. In reality, you'll probably end up just meeting whatever type of people match your own personality and your life will not be drastically different in either place.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 AM

I am hardly exaggerating: especially, when you happen to agree with practically everything I said.

I provided more detail and more insight. Some of us posters prefer to type a thorough analysis of each city. That is not what I call an exaggeration.

And everybody knows UT Austin is a way overrated football college. It has a handful of strong programs according to so-called "rankings" (e.g., accounting, engineering, etc.) "Rankings" are corporate propaganda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Most things said about Dallas or Austin on the past two pages are exaggerated, especially from Artsyguy and the Austin people.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:26 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,522,726 times
Quote:
I am hardly exaggerating when you also agreed with practically everything I said.

I provided more detail and more insight. Some of us posters prefer to type a thorough analysis of each city. That is not what I call an exaggeration.

And everybody knows UT Austin is a way overrated football college. It has a handful of strong programs according to so-called "rankings" (e.g., accounting, engineering, etc.)

You frequently refer to Austin as a bunch of rednecks and hicks with no culture. You said there's nothing to do there if you don't like UT or drinking. I don't agree with that and think it's an exaggeration.

I do, however, agree with you that Dallas has a lot more to offer.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:30 AM

I completely agree with the bold judgments: even though it only describes half of the story. Those Austin, Texas hipster posers are really annoying. But so are the fanatical God fearing, football loving, beer drinking white supremacists: they outnumber the disillusioned hipsters 1,000 to 1; you usually see them wearing khaki shorts, boat shoes, Birkenstocks, polo t-shirts, multi-colored collared shirts, and burnt orange: they have that look of condescension on their face and the thousand yard stare. Scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
Don't make the same mistake I did (in moving to Austin).

In living in Dallas before moving here for a job, there is no comparison -- Dallas wins in culture, amenities, diversity, and is a real big city. A place where you're embraced and can find your niche whatever your race, religion (or lack thereof), sexual orientation, career, or income.

In a word, Dallas is cosmopolitan. It rejects the parochialism that defines Austin and the rest of central/south Texas.

In living here for two years, the most apparent Austin demographic is as follows:

sheltered white 20-to-30 somethings, with no real goals in life, no careers, disillutionized, who call themselves "hipsters" because they grow their hair out and listen to the newest "oh-I'm-so-cool-because-you've-never-heard-of-it" band.

Yes, these are the same people who's entire wardrobe consists of flannel shirts and tight jeans with several tattoos and piercings who you see out at some live venue every other night.

Likely to define themselves as "liberal", but only when said term falls within their definition. It's clear this demographic doesn't really understand liberalism at all.

Of course, what I wrote above was a mass generalization, and not everyone in Austin is like this, but enough are, and they get on my nerves.

Furthermore, Austin collectively thinks of itself as a big deal when really it has nothing to brag about -- a ill-equipped city infrastructure, horrible public transit, NO culture, no pro sports teams, and a very unremarkable downtown.

Austin reminds me of like that scene from "Sixth Sense"....."Ya'll are dead, you just don't know it".

Last edited by artsyguy; 01-03-2011 at 02:51 AM..

Old 01-03-2011, 02:33 AM

It's not really an exaggeration. 6th street, UT, and The State Capitol are the center of attention there. And, aside from binge drinking and eating BBQ, their lovely culture involves tubing down at the lake or getting naked at Hippie Hollow. Ew. At the worst its culture involves snooping around to see who is "the other" so to keep them in check: as Alex Jones has mentioned hundreds of times on his nutty show.

Also, I'd rather live in the hills of Cedar Hill than the overpriced homes in the hills of Austin. I could never afford to live in those houses on the hills of Austin: as is the case with most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
You frequently refer to Austin as a bunch of rednecks and hicks with no culture. You said there's nothing to do there if you don't like UT or drinking. I don't agree with that and think it's an exaggeration.

I do, however, agree with you that Dallas has a lot more to offer.

Last edited by artsyguy; 01-03-2011 at 02:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas