Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:40 PM

11,817 posts, read 26,657,615 times

Advertisements

East Dallas to Richardson is a LONG commute. Yes, it is against traffic for the most part, but it is still a lot of time in the car and a lot of gas. I did it for 6 months...never again!

I agree with Turtle Creek that you should look in Richardson. There is a nice Whole Foods Market at Campbell Coit and Belt Line, and the aforementioned Central Market (I also LOVE CM!!). Right down the street is Cottonwood Park, which has the Cottonwood Arts Festival twice a year. Plus, as TC says, Richardson has the feel you are looking for.

Unfortunately, DFW in general is not pedestrian-friendly at all. Sure, there are pockets, such as Uptown Dallas, but in general, it is a very car-oriented culture here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:07 PM

56 posts, read 147,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
We are not overrun with walkability areas. It's suburban. You can intentionally buy a house near a shopping area - strip malls at the intersections and walk to them I guess. I confess if I see an adult walking somewhere I assume they've had a DWI and had their license taken away. Seriously.
Ha! Thanks. I bet the heat prevents a lot of walking in general too.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:11 PM

Thanks so much! Single family home would be great...

Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Default Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your replies! I did start a new thread because I thought no one had replied to my original one (new to this whole forum thing)
Anyway, I've printed and filed all of your suggestions for our search and greatly appreciate them!
Will definitely check out Richardson.
Los Angeles has been fun. But I am ready to find a new home for my family.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
East Dallas to Richardson is a LONG commute. Yes, it is against traffic for the most part, but it is still a lot of time in the car and a lot of gas. I did it for 6 months...never again!

I agree with Turtle Creek that you should look in Richardson. There is a nice Whole Foods Market at Campbell Coit and Belt Line, and the aforementioned Central Market (I also LOVE CM!!). Right down the street is Cottonwood Park, which has the Cottonwood Arts Festival twice a year. Plus, as TC says, Richardson has the feel you are looking for.

Unfortunately, DFW in general is not pedestrian-friendly at all. Sure, there are pockets, such as Uptown Dallas, but in general, it is a very car-oriented culture here.
Wow, great info thanks. Yes, a short commute is desired...
Ok, so Richardson... Do you know if there are any newer homes being built in or near Richardson?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:19 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,204,049 times
Good luck to you! Just be prepared that it will mostly be unlike the west side out here. I've been here a year and love it! But, it is different and took me a while to get used to.

As other have said Central Market is great! Many food allergy/vegan/ethnic/specialty foods there, and a great little cafe. Good craft beer selection too. There is one in Plano and one on (correct me if I'm wrong) Lovers Lane. Many Whole Foods out here.

Richardson and Plano would both be great for raising a family. They're pretty much developed to my knowledge.

Anyhow, make the trip out and check out some places. As a former L.A. area resident, I say welcome! And good luck!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Good luck to you! Just be prepared that it will mostly be unlike the west side out here. I've been here a year and love it! But, it is different and took me a while to get used to.

As other have said Central Market is great! Many food allergy/vegan/ethnic/specialty foods there, and a great little cafe. Good craft beer selection too. There is one in Plano and one on (correct me if I'm wrong) Lovers Lane. Many Whole Foods out here.

Richardson and Plano would both be great for raising a family. They're pretty much developed to my knowledge.

Anyhow, make the trip out and check out some places. As a former L.A. area resident, I say welcome! And good luck!
Thanks so much!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,147,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Depends on what the OP means by west side/West Los Angeles. If they mean "west side" in its broadest sense and they're looking for something like Main Street Santa Monica, Montana Avenue, Third Street Promenade, Brentwood, or Venice Beach-style people watching, then, yeah, Richardson is nothing like that and they're going to be very disappointed. But if they're referring to less flashy areas like, say, Mar Vista, non-hipster parts of Culver City, or the broad swath of chock-a-block mini-malls and such on stretches of streets like Pico Blvd. or Sepulveda Blvd., then they shouldn't be too shocked.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,590,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
is nothing like that and they're going to be very disappointed. But if they're referring to less flashy areas like, say, Mar Vista, non-hipster parts of Culver City, or the broad swath of chock-a-block mini-malls and such on stretches of streets like Pico Blvd. or Sepulveda Blvd., then they shouldn't be too shocked.
I used to live on Pico and Sepulveda!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,147,369 times
Sspeaking of Pico & Sepulveda, no one has ever made an anthem for Richardson like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_YPFvC-C_E

Seriously though and back on topic, if the OP is more interested in good schools, good neighborhood, and a decent house for a decent price than flash, and it sounds like that's the case, then the switch from West LA to Richardson should go smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas