Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:11 PM

8 posts, read 17,976 times

Advertisements

Contemplating moving family from Ottawa Canada to Dallas area. Work based around 114 and 161. Have been thinking of areas to live for 2 adults and 2 children under 10 (and a dog). Some of the key elements are: Good neighbourhood with other children, excellent public school system, within 30 minutes of work, reasonable taxes. Have been looking at Flower Mound, Plano, Grapevine, Southlake, Coppell among other areas.

But, a few things we would like some help on:
1. Both children are currently in full french elementary school. One can read/write english and both speak english perfectly. (french is really their second language) I was wondering if there are any programs to keep french skills up for both. (and where looking at proximity to work/home)
2. Older child is in competitive figure skating. Looking for arena/coaches that would also be near living/working area.

Would love to hear your thoughts relative to areas we were thinking about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,451,690 times
This is the only school I know of that teaches classes in French - I mean other than when high schools offer French class as a foreign language option.
Home - Dallas International School
This is a private school. Expensive.

Spanish is way more popular here and even useful to know and that's the primary 2nd language of Texas (often people's first language). The dual language programs you may see at some elementary schools are English-Spanish.

I don't know about figure skating other than you can take classes at the malls with ice skating rinks. Here's a link to something I just googled - Dallas Figure Skating
You wouldn't be talking about roller skating, right?

Have you been here before?

Old 01-11-2011, 07:59 PM

Thank you/merci both. I have been to Dallas several times. My family has not as of yet. I am definitely talking about figure (ice) skating

Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,922,349 times
Moderator cut: sorry English only .[/quote]

Well, there used to be a lot more when Alcatel was booming. I don't know that the International School is any more expensive than the other private schools. It is very "French" in its approach towards the students (i.e., not particularly warm in the lower grades), which wards off many non-Europeans.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-11-2011 at 11:50 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 10:17 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,247,289 times
Moderator cut: this is an English-only forum
My 2 kids attended it when they were younger and we liked it a lot then. I currently have friends from different parts of the globes that have kids that attend and I think the general consensus is that they are very happy with the curriculum but the teachers are a bix lax in the discipline dept.

The school is located at Preston and LBJ/635.

Do you know where you will have to commute to yet? the cities you mentioned are a bit spread out so you may end up driving a bit. If you decide to go with a public school, you can always enroll your kids for French classes at the Alliance Francaise, they have classes for all ages.

Naima

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-11-2011 at 11:51 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,390,979 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
My 2 kids attended it when they were younger and we liked it a lot then. I currently have friends from different parts of the globes that have kids that attend and I think the general consensus is that they are very happy with the curriculum but the teachers are a bix lax in the discipline dept.

The school is located at Preston and LBJ/635.

Do you know where you will have to commute to yet? the cities you mentioned are a bit spread out so you may end up driving a bit. If you decide to go with a public school, you can always enroll your kids for French classes at the Alliance Francaise, they have classes for all ages.

Naima[/quote]

A BMW is not expensive compared to a Mercedes, but I get the point. ESD/Hockaday are only 18k for Kindergarten then go up. Not horribly expensive but not cheap either.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-11-2011 at 11:52 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 AM

We are comfortable with after school programs or Saturday studies to continue if needed. We really didn't think there would be an affordable FT solution. (But it was worth a try!) It looks like Alliance Francaise may be the answer for weekends. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:03 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,633,447 times
Dallas International School also have evening and weekend classes through the Language Institute. You might check that out as well if full-time isn't what you are looking for. (full time tuition depending on the age is around $11k/year). I have heard great things about Alliance Francaise, but have no experience.

For figure skating, you might inquire at the Ice at Stonebriar. Stonebriar is the big mall up in Frisco. My daughter has 3-4 friends who skate quite competitively and train at that rink. I think the girls belong to the Dallas Figure Skating Club. (just google it)

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2011, 12:56 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,460,532 times
I understand why it is important to you for your kids to know French but if your moving to the states you might as well put them in an English school. Around here your more likely to hear Spanish or even Chinese before you hear someone speaking French.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:03 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,390,979 times
That's fairly narrow worldview. It's about maintaining the integrity of their culture and language. Aside from past mis-steps such as "France pour les francaises" there's nothing wrong with wanting to not lose those skills.

What if the kids go into international business or law in the future?

It's about studying the language as a choice not just for what's practical. I try to keep a sharp edge on my French and considered the school for my daughter but it's too distant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas