Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:53 AM

409 posts, read 1,045,083 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Dallas next year and want to live along the DART rail line b/c I have heard traffic is terrible in Dallas. I am looking for suggestions on nice areas to live along the dart line (zip codes would be super helpful). I am not intersted in school districts as I have no kids. I have no idea where I will be working either. Any suggestions? I'm a professional female in my mid 20's who will also be looking to attend grad school in the Dallas area so I would also want to be relatively close to a University or hope to be able to access it through DART rail. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 09:04 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Well, I can't think of any university on the train line that doesn't involved also getting a bus, except for the University Centers of Dallas which is downtown and is a conglomeration of several schools.

Mockingbird Station is across the freeway from SMU. I think SMU has a shuttle. There are apartments, condos and new retail there.

There are some older apartments and condos that are walking distance to the Lovers Lane station.

Park Lane station is about to have some new development near it. I wouldn't live over there now.

Downtown Plano stop has some apartments and condos near it.

You can go from train to city bus and access Univ of Texas at Dallas.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:07 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Do you have a school in mind, such as SMU or UTD? Below is a map. I'd suggest you figure out which school you'd be attending and then compare its location to the map below. Keep in mind the grey lines are future expansion and won't be in place for a few years.

DART.org - DART Rail System Map

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 07-17-2007 at 09:53 AM..

Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 AM

Default Mocking Bird Station...

Can anyone elaborate on that area. It sounds intersting based on the brief description above. I am applying to SMU so that area sounds perfect for me. Any good apts and condos in that area. I want to rent for 6 months to feel out the area before I buy. I keep hearing that if I buy a condo and then at a later date attempt to sell that it will be on the market for a very long time because people perfer to buy houses over condos in TX. Is this true or am I being mislead?

Old 07-17-2007, 09:13 AM

Default I plan on attending SMU.

Someone repiled to my other post and mentioned the mockingbird area? What does everyone else think about that area? Any other area suggestions keeping in mind that I plan on attending SMU?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:04 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,066 times
I like the area. Its between the M-Streets, Lower Greenville and is just east of Central Expressway. SMU sits just west of Central Expressway. There are shuttles that take you to the heart of Campus, but you can certainly walk there, as Central is about as walkable as a large freeway could be. At the station itself there is retail, restaurants and an Angelica theater with residential units above. Most are lofts and condos. There's also the Phoenix Apts, which I honestly know nothing about, but they are right at the station as well.

If you want rail accessible places, The Cityplace/West Village area, Galatyn Park(units under construction right now) and downtown Plano. There will a ton more options for buying and renting opening up over the next couple of years though. You just happened to catch Dallas right in the middle of a TOD construction boom.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
As an SMU grad, I would recommend that you stay in the dorm the first year. It will be the basis of many friendships. And you need to meet everyone before rush tears them into insular greek groups from which they will not emerge for a year or two.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
As an SMU grad, I would recommend that you stay in the dorm the first year. It will be the basis of many friendships. And you need to meet everyone before rush tears them into insular greek groups from which they will not emerge for a year or two.
The OP will be attending grad school so I doubt the greek life will play much part in her life at school as it would an incoming undergrad.

I'd stay w/ the Mockingbird Station area, imo. Nice area that has been redeveloped and going strong. Near not only the school but tons of choices for shopping, eating, entertainment, etc. all VERY nearby w/ a few w/in walking distance. I would also suggest renting for at least 6 months to make sure the school is a good fit and to get your bearings for the area. This will give you time to explore the area and find out what area of the metroplex could offer you the best employment opp's. If you come across a great deal on a condo or townhome in the area don't be afraid to go for it and buy it. Just make sure the area is really on the upswing and not right next door to an area of a seedy nature. There are TONS of condo/townhome developments going on all over Dallas and if you can get in on the ground floor then it may be a very wise investment.

As for the condo/townhome issue of not being "prime" in Dallas - this is a bit true. I'd say it is more true for our suburbs than it is for w/in the Dallas city limits in the close in areas by SMU and downtown. Any multi-family living like condos/townhomes/duplexes have never seen a huge increase in value and tend ot attract a less than desireable base of residents a couple of years down the road. While they may have started out good it does not take long for them to slide. The reason being is for the same price many people would prefer to have a yard and not be attached to a neighbor. Now there are MANY exceptions of this in the suburbs as there is one such development that is older that has held up VERY well but it is only because they have a strict HOA. So if your going to look to purchase something like a condo in the Dallas metroplex I would do it INSIDE the Dallas City Limits and NOT in the suburbs unless you pay careful attention to the HOA and how the place is kept up.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
mom how did I miss the grad school part? I think she posted on another thread...well, anyway if you are a freshman stay in the dorm. You don't want to be in the dorm as a graduate student unless you are going to Perkins Theology School at SMU.

Also, speaking of Mockingbird Station, there are some duplexes and eightplexes around Glencoe Park (just south of Mockingbird off McMillan) that are reasonable to rent (and close to Lower Greenville). However, a lot of them are being torn down these days for McMansions. But you can still find one, I'm betting.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:46 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Those duplexes are pretty old, and most of the ones I've seen are pretty run-down. (Hubby used to play for the Dallas Harlequins at Glencoe, and lots of rugby players lived right by the field there!)

Now the apartments at Monticello Crossroads right next to Glencoe Park are NEAT!! Very good floor plans and a quiet neighborhood. We were all set to rent there until we found our duplex in Forest Hills...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas