Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 22,302 times

Advertisements

We are early 40's, empty nesters moving to Dallas. My husband is a professional in the Irving area and we want to be fairly close to DFW and Irving. We are torn between a house (pool required, would prefer a golf course at least close by) or a condo (like Las Colinas area, maybe downtown Grapevine?? We'd love to walk to restaurants, etc...). Any suggestions? We've looked around at Colleyville, Coppell, Southlake, Prestonwood area (N Dallas), Preston Hollow (too expensive) west Plano, Keller, Grapevine, Frisco, McKinney & Las Colinas (we've heard to stay away from property in Las Colinas/Irving, but why?? It looks like a cool area & we saw some nice homes)....It's overwhelming. We want to make sure we make the right decision. We'd *prefer* to spend less than $500k "ish". Any suggestions would help. Please---thank you!!

Last edited by AL2TX; 01-22-2011 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 01:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
I would tread very carefully with condos in DFW- other than a few choice properties along Turtle Creek and the Uptown/Park Cities areas- they tend to not appreciate in value much (or ever) and are often subject to mandatory assessments for HOA improvements than can be a few thousand dollars or $40,000 per unit (as the Warrington & Vendome high rises along Turtle Creek have both paid in the last several years). We just aren't a condo city.

If your criteria is wanting to walk to restaurants and needing to be close to DFW, you are going to have very few areas to work with. For your budget, I'd recommend:
-North Oak Cliff, specifically the Kessler Park and Stevens Park areas (75208). Gorgeous homes from the 1910-1950's that have been lovingly cared for and restored. You may not even have to spend $500k and you can put the rest towards a pool if the home doesn't have one. Stevens Park Golf Course is in the neighborhood. It's run by the city of Dallas, but is nice and low cost ($30-40 for green fees to play). Restaurants within walking distance would be the Bishop Arts District (google it) and the Belmont Hotel (good restaurant & patio with killer downtown view) is just minutes away. 15-20 minutes to Irving and another 5 minutes to DFW.

-Briarwood/Devonshire (75209) neighborhoods just west of the Park Cities( west of Tollroad, north of Lovers. Briarwood is west of Inwood; Devonshire is east of Inwood). Again, wonderful community. Lots of people out walking. Walking distance to Inwood Village and other shops & restaurants along Lovers/ Inwood like Neighborhood Services, Shinsei, Dunston's, Angela's Cafe, Rex's Seafood, etc. Briarwood and it's northern neighbor Bluffview ($1-10M estates on acreage) have more winding streets. Both neighborhoods are full of 1930-1940's cottages, well updated with modern kitchens & baths. 20 minutes to Irving via Northwest Hwy (Loop 12), another 5-10 minutes to DFW. Closest golf courses would be Stevens Park or Tennison (East Dallas) that are public. Or pursuing membership at a private club like Royal Oaks or Northwood or Lakewood.

- Uptown Dallas. You'd probably be in the market for a 3-level townhome in Uptown. Walking distance or a short free trolley ride away from the Dallas Arts District downtown, numerous restaurants, live theatre, sporting events and concerts at American Airlines Center, the Katy Trail for exercise, other gyms and yoga studios, indie movie theatre, coffee shops, wine bars and some other great bars for people your age (aka not frat boys). Something in the State Thomas area would offer you the most peace & quiet, along with proximity to everything you want. Or a townhome along Buena Vista or Travis which get much less noise & traffic than Cole & McKinney Avenues. Zip 75204. 20-25 minutes to Irving and about the same to DFW (25-30). Same golf course situation as Briarwood/Devonshire. For pools, eithe look for properties with pools (generally increase HOA dues significantly due to insurance rates) or purse the country club route or find a gym/health club to swim at.

-Knox-Henderson (75205) - just east of Highland Park. Roughly same commute to Irving as from Uptown. Same pool/golf situation as Uptown, too. Very walkable upscale area with lots of great restaurants and shops. Directly across 75 from Henderson Ave which is where all the great new restaurants are opening lately.

Grapevine and Southlake have great downtown/ town centers but no good housing within walking distance- unless you consider 1-2 miles "walking distance." I believe there are sometownhomes near Southlake Town Center but would caution you against townhomes in sub a family-oriented single family home burb simply for resale value.

Coppell has zero walkable neighborhoods. Irving kind of does but I personally hate Las Colinas. It just feels like a "fake" urban development in the middle of an office park.

In the end, you are going to have a tough choice to make. The suburbs are where you're more likely to find the golf course/ swimming pool lifestyle, but no walkable neighborhoods in terms of close to shops, restaurants, etc. The in-town neighborhoods are going to offer you the walkable neighborhoods, but you'll lose having a golf course and possibly swimming pool in your backyard (other than Stevens Park/ Kessler Park) and will need to pursue pricey country club membership.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:05 PM

Hi, thank you for your reply. We are willing to pay the costly initiation fees and dues for a country club and we've looked at a couple in Las Colinas area, Southlake and Prestonwood. Sounds like we will need to choose one or the other (pool/golf course living or walkable restaurants/shopping living). I prefer a smaller home and my husband prefers the larger (leaning toward pool, gc...and seems we're limited to a larger type home if we go that route). We travel frequently and have another residence out of state that we are keeping but I'd like to "root" in the Dallas area as we have had to move around so much. My perfect scenario would be a patio home/zero lot with a small pool and in or near a private/semi-private golf community. We can't seem to find that. I had hoped as large as the area is that we'd have more options. However, I know we're limiting ourselves with wanting a close commute to DFW and Irving. Is Southlake or Coppell a bad drive to DFW? We also like Prestonwood near the Galleria. Is that a decent area? Thanks again!

Old 01-22-2011, 02:15 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
I live in a single family house in a gated community in Las Colinas. No reason to avoid this area is you purchase a home built on pier & beam. We have shifty soil and in the older part of Las Colinas (near TPC and Cottonwood golf courses) we have hilly terrain, so if you buy near the golf courses, get a home with a piered foundation. This is a great area and the idiot poster who HATES Las Colinas obviously has not any knowledge of some of the lovely older neighborhoods. Lots of urban snobs will downgrade any area that competes in quality construction with their homes. Lots of prestigious builders in the Las Colinas area. But, not great walkability. You are a short drive from everywhere but, unless you live in the urban center (around Lake Carolyn) there is not much to walk to. We are very happy with the 15 minute drive to the city or Southlake.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Irving kind of does but I personally hate Las Colinas. It just feels like a "fake" urban development in the middle of an office park.

In the end, you are going to have a tough choice to make. The suburbs are where you're more likely to find the golf course/ swimming pool lifestyle, but no walkable neighborhoods in terms of close to shops, restaurants, etc. The in-town neighborhoods are going to offer you the walkable neighborhoods, but you'll lose having a golf course and possibly swimming pool in your backyard (other than Stevens Park/ Kessler Park) and will need to pursue pricey country club membership.
Oh, c'mon!!! Have you actually driven on Northgate between O'Connor and MacArthur; also going north on MacArthur from Northgate to HWY 161? How about driving along Riverside, north and south of Royal? Have you been in Windsor Ridge, The Enclave, Fox Glen or Cottonwood Valley?? These areas are all part of Las Colinas, there is no office park!!! I think you are referring to a small part of LC near the new DART station. LC is much larger, with many beautiful neighborhoods.

Here's a listing of some of the many private, niche neighborhoods in LC. http://www.lascolinasassn.com/Villages.aspx

Why in the world would the OP want to drive from Kessler Park to Irving when there are many great places much closer?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:28 PM

OP- Coppell is about 10-15 minutes to DFW. Southlake is a tad longer commute. Prestonwood is a very nice area- longer commute though. 20-25 to Irving and another 5-7 to the Galleria.

Squirl- I wasn't personally attacking YOU so don't react that way. Yes, I have been through and to more parts of Las Colinas than the Canals...I just don't like it. Not because it's not my neighborhood but because I don't like it. Also, contrary to your beliefs, I don't hate all suburbs or new housing. I love McKinney and Grapevine's historic downtowns. I love the West Plano neighborhood called The Lakes or Lakeside (something like that, just north of Willow Bend off Preston with the gorgeous creeks and ponds winding through). I love the big lots in Colleyville. I like the Fairview area. I love the Northwood Estates area of Richardson. I just don't like Las Colinas. Sorry. Lose the attitude, please. Last time I checked, these forums were to post opinions.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Oh, c'mon!!! Have you actually driven on Northgate between O'Connor and MacArthur; also going north on MacArthur from Northgate to HWY 161? How about driving along Riverside, north and south of Royal? Have you been in Windsor Ridge, The Enclave, Fox Glen or Cottonwood Valley?? These areas are all part of Las Colinas, there is no office park!!! I think you are referring to a small part of LC near the new DART station. LC is much larger, with many beautiful neighborhoods.

Here's a listing of some of the many private, niche neighborhoods in LC. The Las Colinas Association

Why in the world would the OP want to drive from Kessler Park to Irving when there are many great places much closer?
Um, yes, I have. I used to work in LC and had many coworkers (and thus fiends) who live in Hackberry Creek and some other areas you mentioned. They remind me of the parts of Plano and Frisco that I don't like, either.

Also, Riverside north & south of Royal IS an office park (Neiman's, The Studios, North Hills Prep, etc)- is that the best you've got to convince me? I'd much rather walk through Kessler Park, the Katy Trail, White Rock, Cedar Hill State Park, etc than on the Campions Trail right there. It's so barren and you catch the noise from the northwest Hwy spur right there.

Yes, Kessler Park meets OP's walkability criteria much better than the neighborhoods you mentioned. It also meets the golf criteria. It's only a 15-20 minute drive. It's not like I'm suggesting they commute 40 minutes from Lakewood....sheesh.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Thank you for the LC neighborhood listings. My husband clarified for me and said his office is in LC. We saw Hackberry Creek and the guard let us in to look around. He is also interested the TPC golf course and we've spoken to them about their club. If he decides to join that club we'd like to be close to it...<20-25 min drive? We would love an area where we can meet people but a neighborhood that isn't solely child oriented. I got that feeling with Southlake. That's not a bad thing it's just not where we are in or lives now. 5 years ago that would have been where we moved but we have no kids at home now. (A lot of our friends are having babies-not sending them off to college haha) All this info is helpful. I want to be sure we've not missed some areas that only the locals know about. We're getting word-of-mouth suggestions by people who are transplants like us. It's helpful but I want to gather as much info as possible like from y'all. Thank you so much

Old 01-22-2011, 03:22 PM

I live in Cottonwood Valley; rarely see children. 4 Seasons golf course. If you click on map, there are photos.
Cottonwood Valley HOA - Home Page

Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
The TPC course underwent a big renovation not too long ago--I would check how the assessments for members have gone up in the past say 5 yrs and what are anticipated
we know someone who is member==it is great course--truly professional quality

I would say that Southlake does have many families with younger children--the schools are considered excellent and the property values are strong there--but there are also plenty of people who bought there, raised their children, and have not left because they like the environment--
there is golf course community there at Timmaron
there are couple of townhome/zero lot developments in Southlake that might interest you
but for your price point most homes in Southlake are higher

Trophy Club also has two golf courses and has a newer area vs the original construction neighborhood and it is close to 114 for commuting to Irving and Southlake amenities but you might be hardpressed to get into the new area for your price range--although there were some builder foreclosures available there not too long ago--

Irving is an area that seems to be getting more attention and positive comments lately in the northern section around Las Colinas area--
I worked in Irving years ago and while the part around Irving Mall and south is not what I would recommend--there are reasons to like the north area--

regarding the pool vs no pool--my POV from seeing people with pools and without is that MOST people get pools for their children--once the kids are older (at driving ages) they rarely use the pool and it comes more of a liability--
if you had a pool previously ask yourself how often YOU actually used it vs the hot tub--
was it mainly as background for nice yard/at pool parties once a year--
or are you the kind of person who goes in 3-4 times a week yourself...and around here the weather means closing it in Sept and can't use it until nights warm up in late May--unless you use heat and that can be expensive--
many neighborhoods HOAs don't allow solar collectors on the roof for heating so you are using NG heater

I think there are also some people who are starting to view private pool as eco-liability because of its water expense--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas