Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,431 times

Advertisements

***cross-posted in Fort Worth forum***

Hello!

This question has been beaten to death I'm sure, and I've already done some searching in the forums but... I thought it wouldn't hurt to post my own thread.

In short: I'm looking for safe housing somewhere in/around Dallas and Fort Worth, preferably midway between the two.

I'm a single twenty-something year old female, no kids, with a moderate income, currently living in Philadelphia. I'm looking at apartments, condos, townhomes, and small detached units. If selected, I will be interviewing for a teaching program in Fort Worth at the end of February and will be driving around to scout out potential places to live while I'm there. I'd be working in Fort Worth, eventually going to school in Dallas/Richardson, and moving this June if everything works out *fingers crossed*. I'd like to keep my commute to both places below an hour each way. Public transportation is a plus but not necessary.

I live in the city now, grew up suburban, and have always longed for rural living... so it doesn't matter to me what the lifestyle is so long as it's SAFE.

I've already made mental note of North Richland Hills, Mansfield, and Arlington as places to check out.

Thanks for any/all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 05:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times
Ok, let's break your post down, bit by bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilysta View Post
I'm a single twenty-something year old female, no kids, with a moderate income, currently living in Philadelphia. I'm looking at apartments, condos, townhomes, and small detached units.
And you want to live in the burbs, why? The burbs of Dallas are very family centered.....not much of a "singles" scene and the singles you will encounter are more likely to be divorced with kids and living in the burbs for the good schools. I would reconsider living in Fort Worth because you may end up being very lonely in Bedford, Grapevine, Arlington, etc.

Quote:
If selected, I will be interviewing for a teaching program in Fort Worth at the end of February and will be driving around to scout out potential places to live while I'm there. I'd be working in Fort Worth, eventually going to school in Dallas/Richardson, and moving this June if everything works out *fingers crossed*. I'd like to keep my commute to both places below an hour each way. Public transportation is a plus but not necessary.
Are there any other schools you could go to closer to Fort Worth? If you have to drive from, say, downtown Fort Worth to UT-Dallas (assuming that's the Richardson campus you're referring to), it is a 46 mile drive. That means about 50 minutes with NO traffic (at 10pm or 2am or possibly on a Saturday morning) and closer to 90 minutes IN traffic. 2 hours or more if there are major wrecks or if your route involves road construction.

There is NO viable public transportation option. It would involve taking the TRE from Fort Worth into downtown Dallas, changing rails, then taking a bus to campus. The transit trip planner says that is approx a 3 hour trip, each way.

Quote:
I live in the city now, grew up suburban, and have always longed for rural living... so it doesn't matter to me what the lifestyle is so long as it's SAFE.
Rural living? You realize that the DFW metroplex is about 7 MILLION people, right? If you think you're going to live on a huge lot and see horses on your way to work every day, either bring the big bucks it's goign to cost to buy a few acres in Southlake or Colleyville or other "mid-point" burbs with the potential for lots of land......or else you'll need to look about 30-50 miles outside of the city centers where there are "wide open spaces."

Fort Worth is safe and many people your age choose to live near the Arts District (google the Kimbell Museum and look along 7th Street just north of there). It is a SAFE, URBAN neighborhood with shops, restaurants, bars, museums, etc within walking distance. Also, the area near TCU's campus is also VERY SAFE and has affordable rentals as well as fairly expensive single family homes.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:28 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,251,813 times
Coming from Philly, you have a biased view as to what "living in the city" means. Dallas is a suburban city for the most part. And its urban parts are sparkling clean, in fact, they're downright sterile.

Fort Worth is similar, although considerably smaller than Dallas. I would not recommend Arlington, Mansfield or North Richland Hills to anyone who doesn't have a family. You'll be perfectly safe in an urban Dallas or Fort Worth neighborhood. No need to flee for the suburbs.

Working in Ft. Worth and going to school in Richardson sounds like a terrible commute. That's 45 miles of traffic. Yuck.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,340,031 times
Something has to give. Either you will need to find employment in/near Richardson or a school in/near Fort Worth. That commute will be miserable.

If you must do it, I'd suggest living in North Irving, Bedford, Euless, maybe far North Fort Worth near Highway 114.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,431 times
Thank you for everyone's input thus far.

@Scout: I understand it will be a miserable commute, I've endured longer ones in the past, will avoid it if I can, but will check out the towns you've mentioned.

@Hamilton: It's been some years since I've actually spent time in Dallas (I have family all over Texas, mostly in and around Austin... I hear the job market is terrible there or it'd be my first choice) and have visited the state many, many times) and perhaps I've become a bit jaded since moving to Philly 3 years ago. Personally, I'd just like to NOT smell urine everywhere I go, get harassed within 2 blocks walking distance, and be fearful of potentially being mugged or worse when out after dark. I can't remember the vibe I got from Dallas last time I was there, but I'll certainly give it another shot. Recommendations for certain neighborhoods in the city itself?

@Turtlecreek: 1. I'm not concerned about the singles scene to be honest. I've never had a problem finding the nightlife. I'll be 28 by the time I move; a family oriented town might be a wonderful change of pace for me. 2. I know the commute will be miserable, but I've moved a lot over the last 7 years and I'd like to spend more than 12 months for a change. I prefer Fort Worth to Dallas but the school program I'm look to attend (next year) is exclusive to Dallas/Richardson... and the job (this year) is in Fort Worth. That being said, I'm still keeping my eyes and my options open. 3. I know very well that Dallas is a large, sprawling city. I know rural areas are from the city limits. I'm just saying that I have ZERO qualms with living in some town with a whopping population of 1,500. That is not, however, what I'm aiming for per se. Nevertheless, I thank you for your recommendations and will check it out.

Thanks again everyone

Old 01-26-2011, 07:45 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times
Um, this isn't Philly or the Bronx or Baltimore. I honestly have NO idea what neighborhood I could send you to in Dallas where you would "smell urine, get hollered at, be worried about getting mugged, or worse." Maybe on I-35 in the industrial area by the strip clubs?! Nowhere residential that I would suggest to a young professional, that's for sure!

If your up for one hellava commute, look into the Village aparments in Dallas, Uptown, M Streets, or Knox-Henderson neighborhoods in Dallas.

Also, just consider- in the suburbs public transit is almost zero. Cabs are pricey. When you find nightlife, it will be in the city. Are you going to want to take a $60 cab ride home after 3 martinis? Or get on the road and drive 20 miles with the drunks? DFW is not set up like Philly at all. I lived in NYC- it's very different here.

And I wasn't even referring to a "singles scene"....I was thinking about ease of making friends for you, espeicially with your office and school so far from your home/apartment. You don't have much in common with a family that has 3 kids and those soccer moms are going to give the "side eye" to any cute 20-something trying to cozy up to their family....she'll think you're after her hubby, guarantee it.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,597,783 times
If you really will be working in Ft. Worth and want somewhere also mid-way to Richardson, I think you should consider Valley Ranch; zip code 75063 or North Irving/Las Colinas zips 75038, 75062. I've lived in both Valley Ranch and Las Colinas and have an achor client near Sundance Square in Ft. Worth. 40 min drive in rush hours if I take Hwy 10 instead of 121.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,950,730 times
I don't understand the aversion to Arlington given the logistics spelled out. There are a lot of singles in the apartments north of I-30, a Whole Foods in one direction and the biggest UT system school in the region in the other, down the street. Halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth.

North Irving is a somewhat really dry desolate place by comparison suitable for couples and well established professionals. 20 something? Valley Ranch?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:26 PM

Hugh group of 20-something's living in Valley Ranch. However, I do also agree that North Arlington is worth checking out. I have a house right near River Legacy Park and really think its a well-located area.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 PM

North Arlington to Richardson would be quite the trek, however! Las Colinas would be a better commute......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas