U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:42 AM

769 posts, read 729,956 times

Advertisements

Well, at about 8:50p.m. yesterday (i.e. the 29th & not anymore than 5 hours ago) I was just sitting on my couch at my apartment doing some homework. I had the windows and the patio door open and was enjoying the nice 65 degree weather and peace and quiet when all of the sudden I heard: pow! pow! pow! pow! pow!

Since it was so quiet before me and everyone else at my apartment complex (I live at Timberglen Apts., which are near Frankford Rd. and George Bush Turnpike) heard the gunshots, it kind of startled me. Now I' am no stranger to guns, b/c I used to hunt and target practice all of the time with my dad.

However, I have lived in many places (including rough areas like SE San Diego and N. Chicago) and have NEVER in my life experienced something like a random shooting. I didn't see who did the shooting or if anyone acutally got shot up b/c by the time I called 911 (along with just about everyone else here at the complex), the people involved were long gone, even before the Dallas PD showed up; I don't think that any of the police that were here found a single person who was involved.

Anyway, the shots were so close (probably no more than 50-75 yards away) that if I had ran out onto my second floor balcony/patio the second after I heard them, I bet money I would have at least caught a glimpse of the moron who fired the gun. Anyway, I was told by those who I had asked before I moved to this part of Dallas if it was a pretty safe area and they said that it was one of the safest (if not the safest) areas in the city proper and up until this point I believed them. In fact this part of Dallas looks very upscale in many areas, even where I live and on top of that, very family-oriented (my apartment complex is nowhere close to being a college student frathouse or bachelor's pad).

Now I' am fully aware that crap like this happens pretty much anywhere, especially in a big city like Dallas, but is this section of town just as bad as some areas of S. Dallas or is it simply just one of those rare occurances of some random idiot trying to make himself look like a macho "most-notorious" gangbanger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:22 AM

3,639 posts, read 1,917,257 times
I don't normally think of that area as unsafe, everything around there seems pretty nice. However, I do recall a conversation with an officer a few years back about some pretty "nice" looking apartments on Frankford and the Tollway, turns out that was his beat's trouble spot! So, you just never know for sure. I found this about your apartments -

Man found shot to death in Dallas apartment | Dallas-Fort Worth Crime News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

that's not good. You might check with the police and see if this is random stuff or not. Good luck and stay safe. And no, that area is not as bad as some parts of south Dallas, but sounds like something's up.

Last edited by elan; 01-30-2011 at 03:37 AM..

Old 01-30-2011, 08:40 AM

20 posts, read 19,137 times
Have you ever heard shots in the area before? Could of just been a random act. Sometime though you would be surprised at what happens in "the nice area of town." I am a city paramedic in Baton Rouge La. I work the most yuppie, hipster, snobby country club area, what ever you want to call it and on average I run more calls than the "hood" area trucks. Most are chest pains, overdoses and car wrecks and the such but I actually run quite a few shooting and stabbing calls.

I am surprised on a consistent basis of what I run across daily here. That is the main reason I want to get away from this crap hole cess pool. We are at the top of the per capita list for murders nation wide. I live out in the most desirable suburban area here and it isn't all roses either. Just make sure you are always looking over your shoulder no matter how safe you think the area you are in is. You never know if an "outsider" has wandered into your area or if someone will just snap.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:24 AM

796 posts, read 1,160,163 times
A friend lived over there for 5 years and never said anything about anything like that. So don't know if its common or not.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:32 AM

4,425 posts, read 8,283,230 times
I used to live in that area on Haverwood and the Tollway (I think it was called Oakwood or Oak something) and I never heard gunshots or saw any crime at all... but that was 2000-2002.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 AM

14,625 posts, read 27,662,115 times
my question is WHY if you knew you heard gunshots would you RUN into an area where you would be exposed to future firings if they happened???

dude--hunker down and stay safe--
bullets can travel through apt walls w/little opposition--people are hit by stray gunfire all the time

any chance it was something like an air-powered nailer or other type of compression tool???

Old 01-30-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
my question is WHY if you knew you heard gunshots would you RUN into an area where you would be exposed to future firings if they happened???

dude--hunker down and stay safe--
bullets can travel through apt walls w/little opposition--people are hit by stray gunfire all the time

any chance it was something like an air-powered nailer or other type of compression tool???
No. if it was, I could have told the difference, since compression tools don't sound anything like a pistol or other type of gun. Anyway, it was most definitely gunshots. Like I said earlier, the shots were so close and so loud that I knew the second that I heard them that thats what they were. By the sound of shots, I could tell that it was a pretty powerful pistol. Plus, if it was a nail gun or similar tool, I highly doubt that everyone else at this complex would have heard it and called 911 (which according to the 911 dispatcher, just about everyone here and at neighboring complexes did).

Anyway, it's pretty obvious that the person being shot at wasn't killed or injured since there were no ambulance's dispatched here and the fact that it is not reported in the Dallas Morning News' crime section or any other media outlet.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfe View Post
Have you ever heard shots in the area before? Could of just been a random act. Sometime though you would be surprised at what happens in "the nice area of town." I am a city paramedic in Baton Rouge La. I work the most yuppie, hipster, snobby country club area, what ever you want to call it and on average I run more calls than the "hood" area trucks. Most are chest pains, overdoses and car wrecks and the such but I actually run quite a few shooting and stabbing calls.

I am surprised on a consistent basis of what I run across daily here. That is the main reason I want to get away from this crap hole cess pool. We are at the top of the per capita list for murders nation wide. I live out in the most desirable suburban area here and it isn't all roses either. Just make sure you are always looking over your shoulder no matter how safe you think the area you are in is. You never know if an "outsider" has wandered into your area or if someone will just snap.
No this is the first time since I moved here three months ago. This isn't a ritzy area like West Plano or Frisco but it is a nice middle-class/upper middle class area that seems to be very family oriented and is very diverse.

Wow, I didn't know Baton Rouge was so bad! I guessing that New Orleans or Shreveport would be much safer than that area, right? Hopefully you can find another place (maybe a smaller city) to live in that doesn't have so many problems!

Old 01-30-2011, 12:29 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,580,009 times
I'm in a nearby complex and haven't noted any major issues for 2.5 years. It was probably some thugs rolling in cars shooting it out who will never be back again. They probably chased each other off the highway then back on. I wouldn't worry.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:10 PM

171 posts, read 320,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfe View Post

I have family and a son going to LSU all living in BR. What parts are you talking about? I do know that ever since Katrina the population, crime and traffic has skyrocketed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas