Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:40 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The media are controlled by corporate interests with a profound contempt for the American public's intelligence and attention span--shorter than a gnat's eyelash...
This is nothing new however in the history of American journalism--William Randolph Hurst engineered the Spanish American War with his brand of yellow journalism--

newspapers have worked tirelessly to create tension between ethnic groups, support political regimes that have abused public trust, use sensationalism to sell papers, and knowingly lie about issues of fact...in the past and in the present and I have no doubt in the future

but I think it is getting more and more difficult to separate wheat from chaff and to know what is truth, what is skewed truth, and what is just downright misinformation---
I count myself a liberal but frankly I get just as tired of listening to some of the "liberal" media sources that only pound a certain version of their truth out over the "news"
just as the conservative outlets do

I find there is very little investigative journalism out there where reporters are actually going to the source of information because that usually requires time, attention to detail, intelligence and grasp of history and other fields like economics, science, math, medicine so that the reporter can basically sift wheat from chaff him/herself...
editors don't care or if they care they can't buck the system that is paying their salaries...

so we are at the mercy of our education--which should have taught us how to judge the source of information, weight personal/professional interests at work, and compare/contrast different points of view to arrive at a balanced judgment
Excellent post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
They also report their judgments and opinions about those facts. You can report the facts all day long: it's not going to have meaning unless you give your opinion as a journalist.

What?

Old 02-05-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Mark Davis one of the DMN right wing columnists still to this day claims Iraq hand some significant amount of WMD and we were right to to go to war. All this after 3 Bush/GOP appointed Federal investigations concluded the WMD was never there. He's a pure propagandist.
If that's the case what/who caused the Halabja massacre and how?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:40 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Mark Davis one of the DMN right wing columnists still to this day claims Iraq hand some significant amount of WMD and we were right to to go to war. All this after 3 Bush/GOP appointed Federal investigations concluded the WMD was never there. He's a pure propagandist.

A couple of dudes they throw in there as tokens don't really change the issue.

I mean, really? The effin' illegal alien is Texan of the Year?

Bite me, DMN.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 PM

198 posts, read 499,312 times
In reference to the political leaning of the DMN, as a moderate with a slight tilt to the left, I'd say the the DMN is overall a conservative newspaper.

They have Mark Davis as a columnist. Seriously. All he does is regurgitate the Republican Party platform. They always endorse the Republican presidential candidate. Sure, they endorsed Bill White, but Perry suffers from corruption issues. Democrat Eddie Bernice Johnson got a ton of attention for her scandal, but Republican Joe Driver really didn't.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:55 PM

143 posts, read 702,056 times
Steve Blow's column today shows exactly why this bumpkin should be fired and the DMN is second rate. His genius solution to the drug violence in Mexico - we should all boycott drugs.

Pure genius from the Blowster.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
At least he got the "dork in Dockers" description of himself right. I don't patronize the head shop on Columbia but sometimes I go by there - I would have LOVED to have seen him walking in there!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:26 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Cancelled my subscription to this newspaper some time ago, kept it out of loyalty since they were a former client of mine. However, I do like the Star-Telegram (doesn't deliver in my area). Right now we have the Wally (WSJ) delivered b/c we can get it cheaper online by having home delivery.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:59 AM

108 posts, read 286,869 times
News is what you make of it. We subscribe to the the Sunday edition, but that is only for the adds and coupons. I read the entire Sunday paper, but only to read. I get all my news on the net, oh except from DMN online. LOL

Old 03-04-2011, 01:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
We/I have taken both papers (Times Herald until it was 'closed' by the DMN) all my life and read nearly every one of them cover-to-cover (you know the old kind). So I get the online content as I am a subscriber. However, I am not a subscriber but have free accounts with NYT, LA Times, Wash Post, UK Guardian, Irish Times etc..I wonder how this will work for Belo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas