Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:31 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Having been born in Dallas and living in the Plex for 35 of my years, I know DFW very well the good the bad the indifferent he beautiful the ugly and the regular.

I've never lived in H-town but I've visited hundreds of times for business and pleasure.

I LOVE both towns. Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone, save folks who dislike cities categorically, wouldn't. In either city most every night of the year one can find jazz, blues, country, rock and more music, movies, plays, orchestras, ballets, interesting speakers, museums, pro, college and kid sports, incredible meals and lots more. Both have wicked cool architecture, big and small, if one knows where to look, both have infuriating traffic, bad drivers. Both have awesome universities. Both have absurdly great economies both in relative and absolute terms. Both are wonderfully Byzantine regarding good and bad neighborhoods. My beloved Preston Hollow leaps to mind what with mansions on Strait Lane and near slums not far away.

ETA - why all the hate back and forth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 07:55 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
why all the hate back and forth?
Because people are stupid and feel the need to fight. I just ignore the threads and the trolls that feed on them. If I were a moderator, I'd just shut them down immediately - but that's prolly why I'm not a mod - I'd weigh in with a heavy fist and shut down some of the stupidity that runs rampant on this site.

Brian

Old 02-04-2011, 08:00 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,583 times
I can't understand it either. I lived in H-town and have visited DFW and love both.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Because people are stupid and feel the need to fight. I just ignore the threads and the trolls that feed on them. If I were a moderator, I'd just shut them down immediately - but that's prolly why I'm not a mod - I'd weigh in with a heavy fist and shut down some of the stupidity that runs rampant on this site.

Brian
I agree. And seems to be that most of it goes on over here on the Dallas forum. Most Dallas people are not doing it on the Houston forum. Odd........
And yes, I too wish the mods would shut those threads down as soon as they pop up. They serve ZERO purpose whatsoever and just turn into the same old pi$$ing match with the same people over and over.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:10 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I agree. And seems to be that most of it goes on over here on the Dallas forum. Most Dallas people are not doing it on the Houston forum. Odd........
And yes, I too wish the mods would shut those threads down as soon as they pop up. They serve ZERO purpose whatsoever and just turn into the same old pi$$ing match with the same people over and over.
TBH, there are hardly any Houston people on this forum. MM (sort of) and a bunch of trolls. When a thread is titled "Houston vs. Dallas", of course Houston people would show up. The time when Dallas posters invaded the Houston forum has past. Usually goes on in cycles. And the thread had already died, but this thread was made. Let it go...

Old 02-04-2011, 08:18 AM

252 posts, read 724,157 times
Quote:
I LOVE both towns. Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone, save folks who dislike cities categorically, wouldn't.
This post is just as annoying and misleading as those you complain about.

You complain about other people giving their opinions on a subject while giving your own opinion at the same time.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
This post is just as annoying and misleading as those you complain about.

You complain about other people giving their opinions on a subject while giving your own opinion at the same time.

Honest opinions positive and negative from folks are valuable and interesting. Silly statements I've read here like - paraphrasing - "Houston is 85% slums" and "Dallas is flat with no trees" are not useful at all. Statement like those are not opinion offerings they are silly, bickering, cheap shots - and false to boot.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:
Honest opinions positive and negative from folks are valuable and interesting. Silly statements I've read here like - paraphrasing - "Houston is 85% slums" and "Dallas is flat with no trees" are not useful at all. Statement like those are not opinion offerings they are silly, bickering, cheap shots - and false to boot.
Agreed. I think the internet brings out the worst in people as well. In "real life" I've never heard people bicker like this about Dallas v. Houston.

Then again, maybe its because I don't surround myself with jackasses.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Agreed. I think the internet brings out the worst in people as well. In "real life" I've never heard people bicker like this about Dallas v. Houston.

Then again, maybe its because I don't surround myself with jackasses.
LOL! It's probably a lot of the latter.

Also things written with intended levity often don't read that way.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:32 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
As others have said, the Houston v. Dallas threads are usually pretty civil and useful - for a page. That's when the jackasses come in and ruin it. But since this is the internet, and since the moderation for this site isn't the best, the jackasses keep on posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas