Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 01:18 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,744 times

Advertisements

Update:
Coming up on my 3-year anniversary of moving to DFW, and LOVE IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 03:32 AM

17 posts, read 21,253 times
It is always, always hard to "rip up roots." When I was your age I moved out to Denver, knowing only one elderly family member. I was nervous as anything but it turned out to be a phenomenal experience! And I became close with my elderly aunt. It was a truly memorable experience! I did fall in love and marry a man I met there. Fortunately he was cool with coming home to Dallas with me & we now live three miles from where I grew up! I thus encourage you to see your move as temporary. You're trying the Dallas thing not making any promises to the city. Once you've had enough, just head back! Now that may be trickier if you are expecting your girlfriend to necessarily have those same feelings at the same time, but y'all can pre-discuss that situation. All in all I feel you're at the perfect time of life to try the city & go from there. I have zero regrets about my two years in Denver - and it helped form my own adult identity apart from my parents because I went home with my own unique experiences and stories to tell. I still keep in touch with many of the friends I made! Also one last thing I will say - moving will never get easier. We're now looking to move across Dallas. But we have four young kids now & let me tell you... moving with kids is a LOT harder than moving when I was young and single! Explore new places now - don't ignore the itch to see the world and wait until the travel bug bites again in 10 or 15 years. You may be much more tied down by work, wife, kids, etc. Go while you are young and "free!" You can leave anytime... and you can stay as long as you please!

Old 05-31-2016, 03:46 AM

Thanks... old thread. Moved 3 years ago. So happy

Old 05-31-2016, 03:50 AM

17 posts, read 21,253 times
Hooray - happy for you!

Old 06-01-2016, 09:06 AM

287 posts, read 517,275 times
How nice that you posted an update. Glad you are loving it here!

Old 06-01-2016, 01:20 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Update:
Coming up on my 3-year anniversary of moving to DFW, and LOVE IT!
Thanks for the update but curious minds want to know:

What part of DFW are you living in?
Did you find a job right away and are you still at the same company?
Is girlfriend still with you?
Have your parents visited?

Old 06-02-2016, 11:40 AM

What part of DFW are you living in?- I started out in Carrollton and now I am in Euless.

Did you find a job right away and are you still at the same company? Yes and no, I "returned" to an old company that is HQ'd here. I worked at the company in Vermont. I ended up moving back to Cleveland for a year shortly after graduating college. it was terrible. I went to bed one night and as I lay there, I asked myself "Why am I not in Dallas? Why am I not following my dreams?" I would have rather move down to Dallas, hate it and then move back to Cleveland or Vermont then to forever wonder "what if". I got up, jumped on LinkedIN, and e-mailed my old boss. I said I wanted to return to my old company, but not in Vermont, in Dallas. She said she no longer worked at the company, but had contacts and gave me their e-mails. I e-mailed them, and we had a phone interview. I was hired, and moved to Dallas in July of 2013. I did that for a year and was able to get on with AA. I have been VERY happy with AA.

Is girlfriend still with you? No. We made the trip to Dallas in March as I said in my OP, and, well she hated it. We got back to Vermont and she said she did not like it, but was still willing to move. I thought it wasn't fair to her, to move to somewhere that she didn't even like. We started growing apart after the trip and eventually went our separate ways.

Have your parents visited? Only Once, about 2.5 years ago. They didn't like DFW. On the ride from the airport my mom asked what I saw in DFW. All they saw was concrete jungle. Yes, its not as pretty as Vermont, but I'll take the cost of living, job opportunities, stores, etc over Vermont any day. A day into their visit they both got some sort of stomach bug and were contained to my little apartment. They spent their vacation watching Netflix, and never returned. They both say they want to come back, but when I press it they always say "well it's a pretty busy month." They both have flight benefits, and could even come down for the weekend, if they wanted to. Heck, I live 15 minutes from DFW airport, so they could take the morning flight in, spend a day with me and then take the morning flight back.

Last edited by leadingedge04; 06-02-2016 at 12:01 PM..

Old 06-02-2016, 12:28 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
What part of DFW are you living in?- I started out in Carrollton and now I am in Euless.

Have your parents visited? Only Once, about 2.5 years ago. They didn't like DFW. On the ride from the airport my mom asked what I saw in DFW. All they saw was concrete jungle. Yes, its not as pretty as Vermont, but I'll take the cost of living, job opportunities, stores, etc over Vermont any day. A day into their visit they both got some sort of stomach bug and were contained to my little apartment. They spent their vacation watching Netflix, and never returned. They both say they want to come back, but when I press it they always say "well it's a pretty busy month." They both have flight benefits, and could even come down for the weekend, if they wanted to. Heck, I live 15 minutes from DFW airport, so they could take the morning flight in, spend a day with me and then take the morning flight back.
No offense, but Carrollton and Euless are not the best places to show your parents around. They lack sense of place and aren't really interesting to a visitor. Next time they come, show them Grapevine's Historic Main St. and/or do a day trip into Dallas and Fort Worth. They'll find interesting cultural stuff, history, neighborhoods, etc. in those areas.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
No offense, but Carrollton and Euless are not the best places to show your parents around. They lack sense of place and aren't really interesting to a visitor. Next time they come, show them Grapevine's Historic Main St. and/or do a day trip into Dallas and Fort Worth. They'll find interesting cultural stuff, history, neighborhoods, etc. in those areas.

LOL! Just because I live in that area doesn't mean they had to stay around the apartment. They did do the touristy stuff.

Thanks though..

Old 06-02-2016, 01:02 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
LOL! Just because I live in that area doesn't mean they had to stay around the apartment. They did do the touristy stuff.

Thanks though..
Nevermind then . I'm glad you're at least enjoying it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas